Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Suggestions for removeable GN ball

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for removeable GN ball

Need to get a gooseneck ball put in my truck. Want one that is removeable so I still have a flat bed area. Looking at the B&W one, anyone with experience with this one. How hard is it to install, or would anyone suggest another brand. Don't want to have to drill any holes in frame. Thanks in advance
Old 10-12-2002, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Suggestions for removeable GN ball

I have no experience with the hitch that you mention but you can drill holes in the frame in the verticle surfaces. That is proper and legal and will not weaken the frame.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the "Hidden Hitch" installed in mine by Ashland Hitch here in Richmond. The ball will tilt over and go under the bed with one little wrench. It does require drilling the frame which is the strongest way to do it. All you have once the ball is hidden is the plate and the emergency tie downs showing which are at the same level and my bed mat anyway. Very professional install using grade eight bolts and they even painted the hitch parts to match the frame after installation. Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info, will look at the hidden hitch as well.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:31 PM

Has anyone used this one? I just ran across it:<br><br>una-goose
Old 10-13-2002, 08:35 PM

I have a B and W turnoverball in mine.<br><br>The install was pretty easy except getting the torque wrench in some of the areas was kind of tough. The only drilling was the 4&quot; hole in the middle of the bed and 4 smaller holes for the safety chain hooks.<br><br>I looked at the Una-goose but I didn't want to drill into the frame. Also, I think it was about $100 more than the turnoverball.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:54 PM

Have you tried the 5th wheel add on with it? I plan on a goose neck most the time, but want the option to pull a 5th also.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:31 PM

Get the B&amp;W it's the best around.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:53 PM

Yea but you are biased ;D
Old 10-14-2002, 09:30 PM

I found a couple of others, Diamond Hitch and Cody Hitch, both have good designs and will clamp to frame ( no frame drilling). I bought a Diamond flat bed kit,( just the coupler no frame work) and have fabricated my own clamp on style for my new '03. 8) I think Diamonds ball coupler is a stoke of genius. Check them both out though.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:11 AM

One more suggestion. <br><br>I have a Draw Tite &quot;Remova Ball&quot; that's been in the truck for close to 5 years. The reason I bought this hitch is becuase you don't have to reach under the fender to release the ball. The release mechanizim is in the bed of the truck. We have 2 turnover ***** on the farm and in the winter time they sometimes will get frozen and the release will not work. <br><br>http://www.draw-tite.com/<br><br>I had mine professionaly installed, didn't want to risk 30,000lbs coming loose and running into the back of my truck. <br><br>Good Luck and happy hauling.<br>Darrell
Old 10-15-2002, 09:58 AM

I haven't used the 5th wheel setup with mine. There is someone on www.irv2.com that has been talking about theirs though. He said that it is a good hitch but it was flexing a bit and he had to modify it. B&amp;W may have updated the hitch by now, however. All in all I think it is a good setup. I haven't had any problems with mine in the winter, but, I haven't switched it much either.<br><br>
Old 10-16-2002, 06:43 AM

Reese said their sister organization Draw-tite has a gooseneck that will fit the new 2003 Ram, haven't seen it, but will be checking it out soon.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:53 PM

Check out the question i posted on the &quot;5th wheel converter&quot; on this forum.. someone posted a link to a mfg that had a very impressive looking under bed mounting system that could be used either with a ball.. or with a fifth wheel mount..<br><br>good luck
Old 10-16-2002, 08:27 PM

Thanks,<br>I looked at that Draw-Tite hitch. I was wondering about the B&amp;W with snow and mud and such and that underneath latch system. Place in town sells B&amp;W, have to drive or pay shipping for Draw-Tite. How much hasssle is B&amp;W with stuff plugging latch system underneath.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for removeable GN ball