Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Sleeper Berth In Ram??????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerry61
On my tax fwiw statements earlier,,

I just got off the phone with a coworker and he said that last year his CPA claimed 52$ a day for food "aaaand" lodging for him,,
and $0.44 per mile loaded and empty.

He drove about 200,000 miles last year and said he came out a better
filing that way.

I had it a little mixed up awhile ago.
It's been awhile and I'm getting old,, sniff.

And on my $300 sleeper buy, I just found out that it's like new and to get
it for that price I have to remove the sleeper from the truck that it's now
mounted on. That aint no hill for a old stepper like me
Don't take anybody's word on taxes . Read the IRS publications http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf . The $52 rate is the meal rate BUT you can only deduct 50% of it . In some cases the straight mileage deduction may be beneficial but once you use that method you have to use it every year . You may regret choosing that method if you have a year with a lot of costly repairs . Claiming all empty miles ? I did that too . To keep things simple I parked my dually at home and used another vehicle for personal use . I also logged all those empty miles on duty . Some RV haulers like to pull their signs off when empty and claim they can log off duty . Fine , but you can't have it both ways . Off duty miles should be recorded as private use of vehicle and those miles aren't business deductible .
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure that most of the time you can get away with that but if a DOT wants to write a ticket, it would not qualify because the ends are not full width. It is a very nice job though, not picking on it.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

I like Super 8, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6 (on occasion), and Red Roof Inns. These are my favorite sleepers. If I had to sleep in my truck, it would have to be a big truck. Lots a room, a fridge and a TV.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I am sure that most of the time you can get away with that but if a DOT wants to write a ticket, it would not qualify because the ends are not full width. It is a very nice job though, not picking on it.
Well since you are Mr dot man and legislater....you can talk to Larry who has the paperwork by DOT (the place you work for apparently) of it being approved, so that way you can go back to your office on monday and have the paperwork removed from Larry.
Have a nice day
Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by oilfield-trash
I like Super 8, Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6 (on occasion), and Red Roof Inns. These are my favorite sleepers. If I had to sleep in my truck, it would have to be a big truck. Lots a room, a fridge and a TV.
Yes, made that decision a couple of years ago. I unload tomorrow, its raining hard. Generator is on, steak is in the convection oven, air is on, watching a movie on the 27 inch digital tv. My air card handles the internet duties on the 17 inch laptop. Life is tough.

Truck was cheaper than replacing the Dodge, $25,300.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by gofastman
Well since you are Mr dot man and legislater....you can talk to Larry who has the paperwork by DOT (the place you work for apparently) of it being approved, so that way you can go back to your office on monday and have the paperwork removed from Larry.
Have a nice day
So much for complementing you on the job. I will stop now, I can't print where I would like you to go.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:58 PM

So much for complementing you on the job. I will stop now, I can't print where I would like you to go.
good for you
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Don't have to have a sleeper to get the tax break.
I deduct whatever the per day is like $53 I think....and the mileage.
just like a big truck,legal as can be.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:02 AM

Ref Lance, why the new #6 piston
Old 09-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Don't take anybody's word on taxes . Read the IRS publications http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf . The $52 rate is the meal rate BUT you can only deduct 50% of it . In some cases the straight mileage deduction may be beneficial but once you use that method you have to use it every year . You may regret choosing that method if you have a year with a lot of costly repairs . Claiming all empty miles ? I did that too . To keep things simple I parked my dually at home and used another vehicle for personal use . I also logged all those empty miles on duty . Some RV haulers like to pull their signs off when empty and claim they can log off duty . Fine , but you can't have it both ways . Off duty miles should be recorded as private use of vehicle and those miles aren't business deductible .
You should review this in detail.
You can take the standard mileage rate on a car. I would suggest reading the pub 463 and finding out what a car is considered to be. See page 17.

It basically says a car is any 4 wheeled vehicle. Unloaded gross weight under 6,000 lbs.

A car does not include: A vehicle used directly in the business of transporting persons or property for pay or hire.

You can also take 75 % of the meals allowance if you are subject to DOT laws.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Been hauling steady now for a little over a year and a half...had my own hotshot bizz for thirteen years...rules now are perhaps more rigid but theres still a bunch of folks that seem to think its ok to run without any operating authority, log books and remove their signage when empty.

On the way to get a load just last month I got pulled over at 7:00 p.m. just outside of Fargo ND. Asked for my cab card, log book and to see my insurance. I had it all...and after I got my printout for the inspection he told me that they are finally clamping down on the RV hauler profile trucks running empty and pulling. Just shook his head how many are running illegal.
I've seen trailers with no plates running down the road as well...but I digress.
LOL

Several folks are doing what gofastman is doing and have been inspected and all is legal.

The other way to do it is to buy a mega cab and have the passenger seat reworked and remove the rear right side seat...that will give you WAY more room then the coffin style in the quad cab. At least it felt that way when I shoe horned my way in to one to check it out.

Getting a frame stretched for $1,000.00 to $1500.00 sounds cheap.
One of our guys had his stretched on a reg cab for a sleeper...everytime he has been inspected they looked for the DOT compliant sticker from the company that did the work. Thats probably why he paid 4K for the alteration...stainless one piece brake lines, one piece drive shaft...gives less angle...and smoother running driveline from his reports. Makes sense I suppose.

Scotty

I should add that I run piggy back on a load and tow at least 2 of the four trips I do per month...it has a legal sleeper berth and we get to our destination with one less full day on the road. Only draw back is for whoever drove last has to wait the hours to head back.
When I drive solo I get a room as sleeping in the truck is not for me.
JMHO about a one ton.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:04 PM

He may have the width but I didn't see the required restraints . What is accepted by 1 DOT inspector isn't necessarily accepted by all .
Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 PM

He may have the width but I didn't see the required restraints . What is accepted by 1 DOT inspector isn't necessarily accepted by all .
The restraint system you are talking about larry has for me, i have not installed it as of yet, but everything elase is dot legal by the book. I will give to all that it is right on the edge, but legal is legal, it dont say you have to be legal by bunches, if you know what i mean.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 PM

I think Mr. DOT Haulin would say park behind the scales and take 10 hours out of service because any sleeper berth time logged is disallowed . Either it's legal or not . Almost only counts in horseshoes .
Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

I think Mr. DOT Haulin would say park behind the scales and take 10 hours out of service because any sleeper berth time logged is disallowed . Either it's legal or not . Almost only counts in horseshoes...
...hand grenades, and Hydrogen bombs. I mean, if you ALMOST hit with a Hydrogen bomb, you'll probably do some damage... Y'all better pay attention to RickG, he's for sure the 'go to' guy on all these hauling issues. Seriously. Good luck everyone(and hope you all had a fun and safe Labor Day)!!

Quick Reply: Sleeper Berth In Ram??????????