Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

A sanity check before I buy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:49 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the 2wd and love it. I have never needed 4wd while towing. I don't off road and don't live in snow, so take that in consideration in my answer. It is quieter, less vibration, better mileage and less to service and repair. If you truly NEED 4wd, then go for it.

I also agree about the Laramie - - get it.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fredbert,PM me and I can give you the name of a local N NJ dealer who will work with you on whatever you want.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this message board really works! You have given me several things to think about more carefully, plus pointed out a couple of no brainers I missed! I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions as things develop. Thank you all for the wonderful response, but please don't stop now!

In the meantime, here's an interesting story. I just got back from the local Dodge megadealership. They didn't have any CTDs to show me, but there was a 2500 4x4 Hemi in the showroom. To my great surprise, it had independent front suspension and power rack and pinion steering. I questioned the salesman about this who told me that's part of the Laramie package (huh!?). I checked every other HD 4x4 in the lot, Laramie and otherwise, and that was the only one so equipped. To make a long story short, it turned out that the truck in question said "RAM 2500" on one side and "RAM 1500" everywhere else! I guess the five-lug wheels should have tipped me off sooner, but I'm learning. The story gets better. I asked for a price quote for the below, but their computer did not list the Power Sunroof as an available option. I must have looked disappointed because the salesman blurted out at that point "no problem, we can cut one in for you here". "No @#$%^&* way, even if you would do it for free!!!" was my response. Time to find a new dealership! Any recommendations?

PS: The Power Sunroof is an available option for the below according to the brochure, Dodge.com and 1-800-4A-DODGE. Does anyone know what's going on?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:03 PM

I would say 4.10 rear end, but with 80% daily driving and only a 9000# trailer it may not be necessary... I towed 15,000# often and wished I had 4.10.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:58 AM

Fred check your PM!