Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV transport...how NOT to lose money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_deuce
Yow. Thanks for the info guys! I've already spent $2500 outfitting my truck and am broke on my butt..I need some loads before I can buy aux. fuel tanks ($1300) a FASS system ($500) an auxilary air conditioning/heating/power system ($4000) a oil bypass doodle, fridge...on an on it goes. I had the B&W hitch installed and did my full length mudguard myself, $75 at Cabela's..what a pain though.

This biz has HIGH start up costs...also, anyone have Canada experience? When I signed up Horizon was wanting me to take Canadian loads...
Fuel up here is not cheap about $1/liter, or $4/ us gal. Probably nothing going back for ya either.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Clayten
Fuel up here is not cheap about $1/liter, or $4/ us gal. Probably nothing going back for ya either.

I second that! I was over in Vancover BC and found out real fast that the BC stands for BRING CASH!!!! Fuel was a killer over there then again no much cheaper in Ontario either!!!

back hauls are few and far between up that way, they can be found but very hard!! Best way to run canada is to cram your tanks full of fuel and hope for the best!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 PM

I ended up getting my own numbers, and buying a wedge trailer. Personally I liked hauling RV's better. Hook and go, no messing around. Time is money. That transfer tank or some kind of auxiliary system gets a lot more important as time goes on, and you realize that you could have filled up for $.50 to $.80 a gallon cheaper. Good luck, it can at the very least be an adventure. BTW.. Make sure you have access to repair money. I lost a transmission in Nevada, got a rebuilt but with the clutch, labor, towing, etc it was close to $3000
Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by deschnei
I ended up getting my own numbers, and buying a wedge trailer. Personally I liked hauling RV's better. Hook and go, no messing around. Time is money. That transfer tank or some kind of auxiliary system gets a lot more important as time goes on, and you realize that you could have filled up for $.50 to $.80 a gallon cheaper. Good luck, it can at the very least be an adventure. BTW.. Make sure you have access to repair money. I lost a transmission in Nevada, got a rebuilt but with the clutch, labor, towing, etc it was close to $3000
Yeah mine to!! I got stuck on my way from Vegas to St george Utah!! Make sure you make buddys all over the country!! I made it to his shop and worked on my truck there and stayed in his upstairs garage apartment!! your right it is an adventure to say the least!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by R & A Equipment
Sounds like there are alot of experienced transport haulers on this site. I have a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs. If I haul for a transport company, (5th wheel trailers) would I need to get any trip permits for the states my truck is not reg. in?? Any info or links to answer question would be very welcomed.. Thanks
If you sign on with a transport company ( not recommended ) they provide the permits . Best bet is to get your own authority . Register at hotshothauling.com . Check out the How To Get Started Forum and then read posts seeing how guys there are doing .
Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Um, guys, I read an article in TrailerLife mag about a gal who hauls RVs, she's got 700k on her cummins, my 05 CTDD has 50k on it, if I take care of it why can't I do the same? I've learned to change my own oil in parking lots every 7k with synthetic oil and fleetgaurd filters (you men have an advantage here. It is a REAL pain in the without all that upper body strength, I had to get a 24" socket extension and filter cap-wrench thingey to get the filter off) I added a deeper tranny pan, change that every 30k...I've heard of Ram owners with over a million miles on their trucks...

- I don't want to be a "real" truck driver, where I'll owe a company a year of my life for a crappy 17-day CDL mill run-through and work for .27 cpm. Bah. I've done lots of reading and there's a reason those jobs have 125% turnover. Not being difficult here, but my reading totally put me off it. I got as far as applying with Schneider before the alarm bells became impossible to ignore...I HATE it if someone else controls my coming and going. Ergo, if I want to shut down and sleep, I can. If I work for a trucking company, that com thing will go off constantly or so I read.

- I've got no mortgage and no bills except truck payment. 500/month.

I'm really trying to learn everything I can. Really, I'm not out to make a killing...I want freedom in my job, no boss kicking me in the or people to deal with daily. I like quiet, peace...

In light of this, is there any reason I can't make a living at this..a living, not a killing?

Thanks folks for your info.
You want freedom , nobody controlling your life telling you when to come and go ? You've got to be kidding . How's this for a scenario ? Sit in a dumpy office with 40-50 other drivers waiting for a load . Want to go west ? Sorry , we only have loads going northeast . Meanwhile , while you sit and wait a driver with " connections " calls in from 100 miles out , asks for a load west and it's given to him . Dispatchers have you by the short hairs and like to play silly games . Oh , there are some good ones but their drivers stay with them so they aren't hiring .
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM

Um, guys, I read an article in TrailerLife mag about a gal who hauls RVs, she's got 700k on her cummins, my 05 CTDD has 50k on it, if I take care of it why can't I do the same? I've learned to change my own oil in parking lots every 7k with synthetic oil and fleetgaurd filters (you men have an advantage here. It is a REAL pain in the without all that upper body strength, I had to get a 24" socket extension and filter cap-wrench thingey to get the filter off) I added a deeper tranny pan, change that every 30k...I've heard of Ram owners with over a million miles on their trucks...

- I don't want to be a "real" truck driver, where I'll owe a company a year of my life for a crappy 17-day CDL mill run-through and work for .27 cpm. Bah. I've done lots of reading and there's a reason those jobs have 125% turnover. Not being difficult here, but my reading totally put me off it. I got as far as applying with Schneider before the alarm bells became impossible to ignore...I HATE it if someone else controls my coming and going. Ergo, if I want to shut down and sleep, I can. If I work for a trucking company, that com thing will go off constantly or so I read.

- I've got no mortgage and no bills except truck payment. 500/month.

I'm really trying to learn everything I can. Really, I'm not out to make a killing...I want freedom in my job, no boss kicking me in the or people to deal with daily. I like quiet, peace...

In light of this, is there any reason I can't make a living at this..a living, not a killing?

Thanks folks for your info.
Well on the freedom part! Get your DOT numbers and work directly for yourself or you will have the dispatch/broker nightmare that they talk about. Make your like a whole lot easier in the long run!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't afford the insurance yet...it's like $700 per month. I was hoping to work for awhile for a transport company, then get my numbers when I can pay for insurance. :-( Yeah, having my own authority is my eventual goal, but it's out of my reach right now...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM

I can't afford the insurance yet...it's like $700 per month. I was hoping to work for awhile for a transport company, then get my numbers when I can pay for insurance. :-( Yeah, having my own authority is my eventual goal, but it's out of my reach right now...
well set your limits as low as the feds will let you to save a little money!! I carry the $1million in liability and $100,000 cargo an it was like $5000 a year for my policy! If you can try to pay it out most of them make you put down like 2-3000 in down payment then you make 9 monthly payments at a pretty high interest rates. Better to just hand them the check and be good for the year!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Well we are a different breed of people doing a job that eats up TONS of money: look at what our life has to offer! here is a simple run down that makes you sad!!

When I am gettin with it and running hard I burn about $400 in fuel a day then: some people have.....

$600-800 a month for insurance
600-800 truck payment
BIG FUEL COST PER DAY
Dot hassles and tickets they are going to get you for something
Tolls that just love all our extra axles
TIRES, TIRES, and more TIRES
oh and out of warranty problems
Hotel bills if you dont want to live in a pickup
plus tons of hidden cost!!

And we do all this because we love the freedom of the road What are we thinking????
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hrm. Maybe I should just sell the truck while it has 50 k on it. Also, who is your insurance company?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

I went through the insurance company that works with Rush Peterbilt. They had the best rates of any. Can't remember who they underwriter was but I got my policy with Rush.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:11 PM

You might try converting your truck to run super cingles. These convert your truck into a 10lug and 22.5" wheels. The beauty of this is that you buy big rig tires that run 200,000 miles. Pretty proces at first but pays off in the long run. These setup are becoming more popular so tire manufactures are making tires that provide a better ride. Acoording to people that have already made the coversion say the ride in pretty good. Not mention they long great.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by smog2001
You might try converting your truck to run super cingles. These convert your truck into a 10lug and 22.5" wheels. The beauty of this is that you buy big rig tires that run 200,000 miles. Pretty proces at first but pays off in the long run. These setup are becoming more popular so tire manufactures are making tires that provide a better ride. Acoording to people that have already made the coversion say the ride in pretty good. Not mention they long great.

Yeah thats what I was sayin! Some of the true big truck tires will be a little ruff but not to bad! Good thing is there are tons of those tires out there new and re-treads!! So there are plenty of options if you go super single!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM

OK, Here is my story.

I run for Horizon off and on for the past 4 years. The first year I ran VERY hard for 7 months. I was a good old A tac driver and that helps with getting more money on the mile from them. I brought home after all was said and done in 7 months a sum of $52,000 +/- a few dollars.
I took off for 6 months just to do what ever I wanted. That felt good. OK, money got a tad low in 2004 and I re-leased with Horizon and ran not as hard for about 8 months. I got the truck paid off doing that.

I started working a ChinaMart in 2006 for the hell of it and to be home with my fiance. I am so board with the working for someone else now and I am getting ready to re-lease with Horizon soon.

My comerical ins is $212.00 with Progressive
Ins with Brown and Brown through Horizon is $42.00
Truck: PAID OFF
Tires New. (Old set I got 112,000 miles on them.)
Brakes: I still have the original set on the truck and the dealer said I have a tad less than 50% pad left! THANK YOU PACBRAKE!!!

I eat cheap and dont sleep in motels.

Just use common sence and drive the speed limit and save your fuel. It is easy to run with the big rigs and that will burn your fuel up quick.

Most of all remember to have fun! you will see a ton of stuff good and bad.

Greg

Quick Reply: RV transport...how NOT to lose money?