Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV transport...how NOT to lose money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said , you are putting nothing aside for truck replacement . You put on over 60,000 miles in less than 5 months . !50 ,000 miles a year and you'll wear a truck out in a couple of years and have no money to replace it .
Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Like I said , you are putting nothing aside for truck replacement . You put on over 60,000 miles in less than 5 months . !50 ,000 miles a year and you'll wear a truck out in a couple of years and have no money to replace it .
What?? You must be thinking of the Duramax. You ain't one of those troll fellers I've heard about are you? I've almost hit the half million mile mark on mine. I'm not afraid to take it anywhere, in any kind of weather. Because of my upgrades I expect the engine to start crapping out at about 750k. The rest of the truck is sound and replacing a part every now and then is way cheaper than buying a new truck. But for what it's worth, I have banked enough to buy a used 05 for cash and have also bought my wife a new Caddy (cash), so it can be done. Too bad you have such a negative attitude.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by GAmes
What?? You must be thinking of the Duramax. You ain't one of those troll fellers I've heard about are you? I've almost hit the half million mile mark on mine. I'm not afraid to take it anywhere, in any kind of weather. Because of my upgrades I expect the engine to start crapping out at about 750k. The rest of the truck is sound and replacing a part every now and then is way cheaper than buying a new truck. But for what it's worth, I have banked enough to buy a used 05 for cash and have also bought my wife a new Caddy (cash), so it can be done. Too bad you have such a negative attitude.
I'm talking about your truck . Already has over 475,000 on it so it will be worn out if run steady for a couple of years . You didn't buy that Cadillac with money from RV hauling . Too bad people listen to BS'ers like you and get victimized by RV transport companies . Someone that was really hauling would have 475,000 on their truck in 3 years not 10 years like your 97 does . You're just one of those paid tourists I hear about that enable transport companies to get away with paying their cheap rates .
Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by RickG
I'm talking about your truck . Already has over 475,000 on it so it will be worn out if run steady for a couple of years . You didn't buy that Cadillac with money from RV hauling . Too bad people listen to BS'ers like you and get victimized by RV transport companies . Someone that was really hauling would have 475,000 on their truck in 3 years not 10 years like your 97 does . You're just one of those paid tourists I hear about that enable transport companies to get away with paying their cheap rates .
The low mileage is becauseI've been doing it for 3 1/2 years, not 10. 355,00 miles still makes me a part timer compared to some drivers though. I know it won't last forever, and an 05 or 06 will be it's replacement. Remember that post about no mortgage and no kids at home? I have other bills so the Caddy was totally transport money. Also, not much touristing to do when you drive basically the same freeways over and over. You are the perfect example of why it isn't for everyone, but don't bash me, I enjoy the job.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, guys, I read an article in TrailerLife mag about a gal who hauls RVs, she's got 700k on her cummins, my 05 CTDD has 50k on it, if I take care of it why can't I do the same? I've learned to change my own oil in parking lots every 7k with synthetic oil and fleetgaurd filters (you men have an advantage here. It is a REAL pain in the edited by admin without all that upper body strength, I had to get a 24" socket extension and filter cap-wrench thingey to get the filter off) I added a deeper tranny pan, change that every 30k...I've heard of Ram owners with over a million miles on their trucks...

- I don't want to be a "real" truck driver, where I'll owe a company a year of my life for a crappy 17-day CDL mill run-through and work for .27 cpm. Bah. I've done lots of reading and there's a reason those jobs have 125% turnover. Not being difficult here, but my reading totally put me off it. I got as far as applying with Schneider before the alarm bells became impossible to ignore...I HATE it if someone else controls my coming and going. Ergo, if I want to shut down and sleep, I can. If I work for a trucking company, that edited by admin com thing will go off constantly or so I read.

- I've got no mortgage and no bills except truck payment. 500/month.

I'm really trying to learn everything I can. Really, I'm not out to make a killing...I want freedom in my job, no boss kicking me in the edited by admin or people to deal with daily. I like quiet, peace...

In light of this, is there any reason I can't make a living at this..a living, not a killing?

Thanks folks for your info.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-17-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 02-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes
The low mileage is becauseI've been doing it for 3 1/2 years, not 10. 355,00 miles still makes me a part timer compared to some drivers though. I know it won't last forever, and an 05 or 06 will be it's replacement. Remember that post about no mortgage and no kids at home? I have other bills so the Caddy was totally transport money. Also, not much touristing to do when you drive basically the same freeways over and over. You are the perfect example of why it isn't for everyone, but don't bash me, I enjoy the job.
But you did say that you took off to japan to see the grand kids. So can we assume that you are getting some type of pension? This would make life much easier than having to haul for all of your income.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Trip permit???

Sounds like there are alot of experienced transport haulers on this site. I have a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs. If I haul for a transport company, (5th wheel trailers) would I need to get any trip permits for the states my truck is not reg. in?? Any info or links to answer question would be very welcomed.. Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 PM

I hauled for all of 2005 before I was recalled to my tool and die job.I made good money enjoyed the heak out of the freedom.now I work 12 hours a day 7 days a week at the plant (again). I made just about as good money hauling as i do now. its just about managing your buisiness. also ther were lots of drivers with over 750 thousand miles on the cummins and 2 diffrent with over a million on them so i dont see the wearing a truck out in 2 years argument yes there will be repairs,however if its worn out in 2 years I would wonder more about the contributing factor of driver habits than anything.I can Honestly say that if it wasnt for the health benifits I would still be Houling trailers.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by badme
But you did say that you took off to japan to see the grand kids. So can we assume that you are getting some type of pension? This would make life much easier than having to haul for all of your income.
That is very true. I said it isn't easy, and it isn't for everyone. But if I had no retirement income, no other mouths to feed, no grandkids b-days and x-mas and the only bill I had was a truck payment I think I could make a living while transporting and be able to put money aside.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 PM

I did it for a couple of years, and you can make some money at it. I would definitely suggest adding a fuel transfer tank so you can buy where it's cheaper. The tank can not extend over the bed rails of the pickup to ensure clearance when towing a 5th wheel or gooseneck. Also, with the Bully Dog, I would definitely make sure to have a pyrometer, and boost gauge as well as tranny temp gauge if you have an auto. Make use of Horizon's internet site for scheduling, you may get a few backhauls that way.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Yow. Thanks for the info guys! I've already spent $2500 outfitting my truck and am broke on my butt..I need some loads before I can buy aux. fuel tanks ($1300) a FASS system ($500) an auxilary air conditioning/heating/power system ($4000) a oil bypass doodle, fridge...on an on it goes. I had the B&W hitch installed and did my full length mudguard myself, $75 at Cabela's..what a pain though.

This biz has HIGH start up costs...also, anyone have Canada experience? When I signed up Horizon was wanting me to take Canadian loads...
Old 02-26-2007, 03:52 PM

oh my sig says FASS, that's on my wish list, don't have it yet, and I won't buy on credit. Just gotta be patient...:/
Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by diesel_deuce
Hi folks...I own a small moving company , and needed a break. It's physically very hard. So, I looked for another way to use my truck. After several months of research, I outfitted my truck to minimize expenses with the hope of hauling RVs. According to my reading, if you are not a cost-control expert you will not make it in this biz. I accounted for fuel, backhauls, deadhead miles, food, etcetera, and the numbers weren't encouraging. Since beginning pay (I leased with Horizon) is $1.04-$1.15 per mile, I did the following, hoping my large capital outlays would pay off over the miles.

-removed back seats, folded down rear platform and ordered a custom made 100% latex foam (the good stuff) mattress made for it. $500. Got a really good sleeping bag from Cabela's, $100, rated for -15 below. Basically I turned the back into a sleeper even though it's not DOT legal, it works very well and I'll log off duty not sleeper berth, or log trucker lounge, ect..yes, it's legal to sleep in a trucker lounge. Eeew. I also insulated the back of the cab where the seats were with custom foam and carpet, $50.

-removed center console and installed low amperage fridge/freezer, $600. I made a platform of plywood covered with automotive carpet and bolted it to the console mounts, then mounted everything to that to avoid drilling in my truck.

- deep cycle battery system to power freezer, computer, etc: $650. Inludes 2000 watt inverter and charging controller.

- B&W turnover ball 5th wheel and gooseneck combo hitch, $1300 including install. (ow)

- Bully dog chip, $450, increases MPG from 18 to 26 unloaded and from 10 to 17 loaded. YEAH! Save on fuel.

Basically I will buy groceries at Wal-mart or somwhere and put them in the fridge, and sleep in the truck. No eating out or motels. I'll use my Flying J card to buy fuel (flying J is usually cheapest) and get free showers for buying fuel.

-Do my oil changes myself, using Royal Purple synthetic, every 7k miles.

So, these are the cost control measures I've got in place. Can anyone suggest any other things I should do to ensure success? There are people doing this and making it, even though there seems to be so many who fail and then grump about it. Has anyone had any success? If so, please offer advice!!

Looks like you are doing it right!! I did the same to my back seat as well and works fine, unless you are in northern minn and it gets to 45 below then I run the truck!

Yeah fuel cost kills us long haulers! Last year alone I spent $32,000 in fuel alone!! The only advise I can offer is get your own DOT numbers and pair up with a good broker!! You can make it better on your own once you get the insurance out of the way!!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is something I have been thinking about doing. It would be nice to get away from the desk for awhile and see some of the country. I'd have to drive at least 1500-2000 miles a week to make it. I think I could be ready by summer time to get started. I love reading threads like this, alway nice to get tips and advice from those who have been there and done it.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by masterphreak
This is something I have been thinking about doing. It would be nice to get away from the desk for awhile and see some of the country. I'd have to drive at least 1500-2000 miles a week to make it. I think I could be ready by summer time to get started. I love reading threads like this, alway nice to get tips and advice from those who have been there and done it.
Oh yeah it is tons of fun I will give you that!!! In a year and a half I have been to all 48 states and almost every major city! Been there in the winter and the summer. Seen the leaves change color in the NE and been snowed in with the best of them out West. All I can say is it is tons of fun!!

Ah in no time you will be able to run cross country with no map and learn to hate NYC with a 50' trailer

Then soon you will be able to pull 1,000mile days!!!

Quick Reply: RV transport...how NOT to lose money?