Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV Batteries?

I've used Trojan batteries for years (specifically, the T-105 6v model). I have a pair of them in my fifth wheel right now, and they're coming up on nine years old, so I know they're due for replacement.

The question is... are there any batteries out there comparable in quality to Trojan without the ridiculous cost? When I first started using these batteries back around 2001, they were $79 each. Now the cheapest I've found is $180 each (for the newer T-105RE). I really want to get four of them (I have plenty of room), but that's $720.

Today I just added 18 oz of water to each of the four cells in each of my two batteries... I'll admit I hadn't checked them in two years, but the trailer has barely moved in that time too, and has been plugged in plus had 240 watts of solar panels on the roof. The plates weren't exposed to air, but they were **** close. So that makes me consider AGMs... except crap, they're even more.

So... curious about opinions as to what to consider for my next batteries? I plan to add more solar panels in the not too distant future (another kilowatt's worth at least). Ideally I'd love to have six or even eight batteries, but cost is a huge factor right now.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Refurb batteries at our local Interstate. Good for a couple of years and only about 35 bucks each
Old 02-14-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Though I also prefer Trojans, I've got a set of Interstate 12v batteries right now and they have done fine.

I only have 2 batteries, but 440 watts solar and pretty modest electrical needs.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaving a trailer plugged in for an extended time will overcharge them and cause the batteries to go dry. This happened to a friend of mine when he was living in his trailer while constructing his house. Your solar charger should have been adequate to keep you batteries charged. I have had good luck with Costco RV batteries.
John
Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 AM

The basic converter/charger that comes with most rv's is hard on batteries if left plugged in. I upgraded to an intelligent converter/charger, though, that goes I I float mode and occasionally an equalization mode so doesn't overcharge or dry out batteries.

Good point, if the OP doesn't have a more advanced charger, leaving the rig plugged in might not be good.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was an interesting discussion on golf cart batteries in RV's.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...teries-302460/
Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 AM

I remember that thread. My thinking at the time was that Trojans are more expensive, but there is a reason you are likely to find Trojans in floor buffers, fork lifts, scissor lifts and most any industrial equipment: they have a longer lifespan in terms of charge/discharge cycles that more than offsets the cost. They are a better value in terms of amp hours stored over their life per $ spent.

More recently I've been thinking that for occasional RV users like me until I can retire, and apparently like the OP, batteries (even Trojan) will die from age before they die from use/cycles.

When I retire I'll probably go back to Trojans, but IMHO for someone who can only go on a couple RV trips a year, Costco or Interstate batteries seem to meet my needs for less money.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If the maintenance voltage on a 12V battery is around 13.8V, it won't use much water, but it'll sulfate slowly over time. If it's held slightly higher, the batteries will lose water over time, but the charge will stay near peak. Miss some maintenance, let the electrolyte level get below plate top, and the batteries are toast.

A couple of years ago I bought a 60 amp boondocker battery charger. It is a 4 stage charger that will fill em back up quickly on the generator after a night of dry camping, and maintain the batteries with little attention for very long periods of time. Left over winter last year, I had 2 group 29 batteries in top shape in the spring that only had room for about an ounce of water per cell.

The boondocker rapid charges at 60 amp, then soak charges at about 14.4 V. then floats at about 13.8v. Periodically it goes to 14.4V for a short period of time. (stage 4)

Another good scheme is to float at 13.8 - 14.0v with a high voltage pulse desulfator running. The small battery minder (brand) chargers do that, and do a very good job of charging and tuning up a battery in a week or so.

In my bass boat I have past era bank chargers that charges to 14.4, then drops back to 13.8 soak and stays there. The first winter I owned the boat, the batteries were sulfated in the spring. Now I run it on a daily timer that runs the chargers for about a half hour per day so the batteries briefly get to 14.4V every day. The batteries stay up and don't use much water with that scheme.

Trojan batteries are nice, and are probably well worth it if you deep cycle the batteries often. Most of us keep them in the top half most of the time, and lesser batteries have a reasonable service life. No battery will live long with poor charging and maintenance.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:52 PM

Very good point. An advanced charger will get you the most life out of batteries.

I'm running a Morningstar mppt that is adjustable. I think I have it at 13.8, with higher equalization/desulfate every 30 days.

For shore power converter/charger mine came with a basic Progressive Dynamics, but they accept the "Charge Wizard" that basically converts it to a multi stage intelligent charger. With the Wizard, in storage mode it will go to 14.4v for 15 minutes every so often to prevent sulfide build up and stratification.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
After using one for a couple of years, I'm sold on the boondocker. If I can figure out a dry mounting for it, I'm going to install a 24V 20A version in the bass boat for the trolling motor batteries.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:55 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I have been using two 12 volt RV/marine batteries for years but never really happy with how fast they run down. This year I replaced them with two of these 6 volts at a price of $120 each. Shop around because there's places out there you may not know about who carry lots of battery brands cheaper than you think. I also changed my converter for a Progressive Dynamics w/Wizard. I have yet to go camping so I can only hope they work better.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the same Trojan 6v batteries that lasted about 9 years as well. $180 amortized over 9 years isn't that bad at all. I doubt you'll find any other battery that lasts that long.

That said, I have bought the 6v Energizers from Sams and they lasted at least half that long (then I sold the trailer) and cost half the price ($89 ea).

So I guess it all depends on how long you're planning on keeping the trailer.