Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Reasons to repack wheel bearings properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
One thing I am good at is steering a topic off course.

Speaking of wheel bearings, who here is taking their front abs sensors out and shooting grease in there to give their unit bearings on their trucks a bit more longevity? I can start a new topic on this but since its kind of related, I thought I would ask.
Scotty,

I looked into this since other people where doing it. My main concern is the grease. Some greases are not compatible with others. Not knowing what the factory grease is adding grease that may not be compatible may cause more harm than good.

MikeyB
Old 07-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Scotty,

I looked into this since other people where doing it. My main concern is the grease. Some greases are not compatible with others. Not knowing what the factory grease is adding grease that may not be compatible may cause more harm than good.

MikeyB
Valvolene Red Grease seems to be the best I have ever found. It's a high temp grease. But you're supposed to wash the bearings before repacking anyway
Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Several of the old RV haulers I know that have unit bearings in their trucks claim they use just plain old regular grease...I bet there are several plain old regular greases out there. I could see a reaction or separation of the greases if one was more heat resistant then the other.

I think I am leaning towards a free spin kit with servicable bearings on my truck when the time comes.

OK, back to topic. Sorry for the stray.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Several of the old RV haulers I know that have unit bearings in their trucks claim they use just plain old regular grease...I bet there are several plain old regular greases out there. I could see a reaction or separation of the greases if one was more heat resistant then the other.

I think I am leaning towards a free spin kit with servicable bearings on my truck when the time comes.

OK, back to topic. Sorry for the stray.

High temp grease really isn't needed on trailers, I use it on my cars. I run my 40 year old cars hard
Old 07-31-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by pdogg
I just did mine and I paid $17 for 4 seals. Bearings/races were in good condition.

Plus a tub of grease of which I used about 1/3 of.
pdogg,

Did you take one hub off to find the part number for the seals or are all trailer seals the same and parts store knew what you needed?

damman
Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaraco
I don't personally have them

I have a friend with a 26 foot boat. The trailer came with discs. I've rebuilt those axles several times in the last 2 years.

The calipers leak, the pads wear down fast, the rotors warp. Awful mess

The trailer stops OK, but the quality of the parts is the issue. These things don't have to even get wet to cause trouble. They seem ti be rated properly

Yes they are rated correctly. I think it has allot to do with the surge setup and we live in allot of rolling hills. But even so, I bought the best calipers i could ge and the seals were leaking before the end of the season. The dust boots were full of fluid. You would think they would be better. But my trailer is heavier under a load, I have way more miles on it with the original brakes. They's still 50%!
I'm just going to shake my head and leave it at that
Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There are several seal sizes on trailer axles, but my local parts store stocks most of them so I can just pop in with an old one.

Alternately, there should be a tin tag on the axles that identifies them.

Both Al-KO and Dexter have well written service manuals on their web pages, and good parts manuals.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by DamMan
pdogg,

Did you take one hub off to find the part number for the seals or are all trailer seals the same and parts store knew what you needed?

damman
He needs lessons in Manderin
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
I'm just going to shake my head and leave it at that
I don't quite follow that, but I think you mean to say it says it all.

Surge brakes are the problem to start with
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

One thing I am good at is steering a topic off course.

Speaking of wheel bearings, who here is taking their front abs sensors out and shooting grease in there to give their unit bearings on their trucks a bit more longevity? I can start a new topic on this but since its kind of related, I thought I would ask.
Me and I just replaced my driver side hub at 168,000.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
With age comes the cage

I don't quite follow that, but I think you mean to say it says it all.

Surge brakes are the problem to start with
Here's the short list

1. Yes the surge brake controller is the main problem.

2. Disc brakes are the best set-up out there (that's why they are on the corner of just about every vehicle made) Thank You! Preston Tucker..

3. D is for Dexter Axles w/Disc brakes

4. C is for Carlisle elc/hyd brake actuator

The pics says it all, start at post 22 here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t213006p2.html
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM

If they made an electric Disc, I would have them

Nobody has that mastered yet. Like I mentioned, the start to leak on this guys trailer in one season. He's had a couple sieze too. The surge is an issue. But I've done OK with drums. 100,000 miles and still have 50% linings.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
There are several seal sizes on trailer axles, but my local parts store stocks most of them so I can just pop in with an old one.

Alternately, there should be a tin tag on the axles that identifies them.

Both Al-KO and Dexter have well written service manuals on their web pages, and good parts manuals.
Jeff, Thank You
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
With age comes the cage

If they made an electric Disc, I would have them

Nobody has that mastered yet. Like I mentioned, the start to leak on this guys trailer in one season. He's had a couple sieze too. The surge is an issue. But I've done OK with drums. 100,000 miles and still have 50% linings.
Carlisle has mastered it.. 1600 PSI in 1.8 seconds. All controlled by a compatible controller in the truck cab..

What brand of axles / replacement parts is he using ? how often does he flush the fluids? There is way to many unanswered questions here (the main one is the surge brake controller, when was it serviced/rebuilt last? They have moving parts), that is why I shook my head..

How many 10K passes do you tow on? how many 30-45% grades do you drop off of with a load of pipe on behind you? Disc brakes are self adjusting, run / cool a lot quicker and are a lot easier to change out.. I don't see any truck manufactures that offer a retrofit kit for disc back to drum brakes..
Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 PM

Oh by no means am I arguing with you. His is a boat trailer. Mine is a 10,000 car trailer at 26 feet.

Not sure of the maker on the spindles. He gets the parts and i do the work. He's kind of stuck with what's under the trailer unless he goes to bigger TB's, obviously.

I flush the system every year. My mind is where yours is on that. . . . Using DOT4 fluid which seems to work a bit better than the OE stuff. (2). I also pressure bleed the system and blow 2 quarts doing it too. We atleast stopped the siezing.

I think his brakes are too small. The spindles are 5 lug so I am assuming they are 1300# spindles. His 26 footer is an older boat so I know it's heavy. He has torsion bar suspension. You can tell when the trailer is on the ground. Basically, the whole system is a POS.

My loads run about 9 to 10K aveage. The trailer is almost 4K bare. Throw a 4600 to 6600 pound car or truck on there and it's pretty heavy. I don't do the 45* ramps, heaven forbid with a rolling load. Once I relieve the binders, I could snap a cable and be chasing that thing for miles.

That's the good thing about the diesels, exhaust braking, compression braking, all comes in real handy. I'm not hard on brakes, but I take exceptional care of them. I inspect all 4 wheels every year, check and repack the wheel bearings every 2. My trailering days are coming to an end. Or i thought. . . Retiring, My wife and I are looking at a 24 foot travel trailer now. Bring the potty with me.

I want solid axles, not torsion bars.

I have to look into that manufacturer. Must be recent they came out with them. I'd do that with the travel trailer. They're like towing a parachute.

Quick Reply: Reasons to repack wheel bearings properly