Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Rear Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Suggestions

My 04 2500 currently has 2" Daystars up front and nothing in the rear for lift. As it sits, the front is a quarter inch higher than the rear. When my snowplow is on the front, the truck squats and the front and rear are even. But, I haul a bunch of stuff with the snowplow such as snowblower, salt, salt spreader, etc... What do you guys suggest I use to support the rear? I was thinking air bags but don't know a lot about them. Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:38 AM

I like my air bags a lot. I have Firestone Ride Rites but there are other brands. We just put the Airlift version on my friends 03 powerstroke but I think the Firestones are better quality and fit better.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 AM

Are the Firestones a pain to install? Do they all come with a compressor?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 AM

I'm not sure on the 3rd gens but if they go above the axle inside the springs, it will be a pain if the bed is not removed. I had my bed off and it made the install very easy and straightforward just bolts and nuts and maybe an extra set of hands and you're good to go. But the airlifts just go on top of the leaf springs. I did not like how they sit right in the middle of the fenderwell (not protected) and they sit at an angle (firestone's sit straight up and down), we had to compress the bag to even get it to fit and we had to drill holes to mount it (firestone used holes already in the frame). I think you can get a compressor if you want, but the bags come with air lines and fittings and I ran them out to the back and drilled holes in the 7way connector cover and mounted the lines there. I just fill them up and leave them, right now they are at 40psi and they aren't bad to drive on and they leveled the back out perfectly...hope this helps
Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM

On the 3rd Gens neither Firestone nor Air-Lift require drilling. Both mount using brackets and the existing bumpstop holes and both look really easy to install. The Air-Lift mount between the frame and axle and the Firestone mount on the inside of the frame rails. From what I have seen, the Firestone have a better air bellows, but other than that both kits work well. If I buy an airbag kit (I'm still undecided between air bags or Timbrens) I'd go with the Firestones.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
On the 3rd Gens neither Firestone nor Air-Lift require drilling. Both mount using brackets and the existing bumpstop holes and both look really easy to install. The Air-Lift mount between the frame and axle and the Firestone mount on the inside of the frame rails. From what I have seen, the Firestone have a better air bellows, but other than that both kits work well. If I buy an airbag kit (I'm still undecided between air bags or Timbrens) I'd go with the Firestones.
forgot to add the airlifts i installed were on a powerstroke not a 3rd gen. i'm sure both would be nice, he likes his airlifts...I just always heard good things about firestone