Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Question for owners of 2006/2007 5.9 CTD Automatic trans Quad Cab or Mega Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for owners of 2006/2007 5.9 CTD Automatic trans Quad Cab or Mega Cab

I would like to hear feedback from owners of 2006/2007 5.9 4X4 auto 4 speed trannys on a Quad Cab or Mega cab and how they do pulling a load up hills.

I really don't want a manual but would like to hear real world feedback. If you could also let me know what you've pulled up those hills I'd appreciate it.

Are you able to maintain freeway speeds up hills pulling loads, and if so are you on the gas big time?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 AM

I have an 06 QC with the 48RFE auto,, 4 X 4, and 5.9.. Previously had an 01 with the 6sp manual trans. I have a Bri-Mar 18 ft, 12,000 gvw trailer and haul a Kubota L 48 TLB what weighs in at 8200. With the 01, never had a problem. With this new 06, it doesn't feel right... The 01 had camper special pkg with extra leaf springs in rear, This, is no loner available, and part of the problem. The 06 sags quite a bit when hooked up ready to tow., Where I am are short, but very steep hills to pull., The 06 has the power, and is pulling these hills, Not as fast as the 6 sp manual can. I can't say if this is good or bad as this is my first automatic trans. Regardless if on a hill or getting onto I 84 to head towards Hartford way.,., it takes quite a while to get going. Once I am up and running, get out of the way, because this 06 will cruise right on down the boulevard with tractor in tow. I don't know what you will tow or the weights involved, but so far this is my experience.,
Old 03-19-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i pulled a 24 ft enclosed car trailer full of furniture with my 06 mega auto.

bone stock (holes in stock air box) 3:73 gears.

my 04 QC auto had a FIPK, straight pipe, and BDDLPP set on PERF.

my 04 never embarrased me towing

but the 06 would not accelerate once at 65~70, i could not "walk away" from big trucks and pass them going up hills like the 04 could with all the goodies on it.

with mild mods, the 06 auto should do what you want.

the Mega is awesome. took kids from church to BK last nite, the reclining rear seats AMAZE children, and make adults comfy too.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by drewallen42
I would like to hear feedback from owners of 2006/2007 5.9 4X4 auto 4 speed trannys on a Quad Cab or Mega cab and how they do pulling a load up hills.

I really don't want a manual but would like to hear real world feedback. If you could also let me know what you've pulled up those hills I'd appreciate it.

Are you able to maintain freeway speeds up hills pulling loads, and if so are you on the gas big time?

Thanks.
I pull a 35' TT, 11K, and have two quads on the truck. Total GCVR is 22K. I cannot pull anything over a 6% grade with this load and maintain freeway speed. It would be nice to have a little tighter ratio split than the 48re provides form some of these applications, but I get by OK. Previous truck was a 03 6 speed and it pulled about the same, a little less horspower but closer trans ratios.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Mine has 3.73s and 35" tires and I can pull Cajon Pass (about 5% for 10 miles or so) with about 12,000 lbs in tow at 65 mph with no trouble at all.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:03 PM

This is helpful. I am in the market for a new truck to pull a 14 K Toy hauler. I've driven the 5.9 and the 6.7 back to back. They were both auto and the 5.9 seemed more responsive. I wonder how much different the 6 speed auto on the 6.7 will be pulling a load? Is it going to be $6,000.00 better? It concerns me to buy a first year anything, much less a 45K truck.

I would appreciate any other feedback. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM

I pulled a heavily loaded 28' fiver from New Jesey to L.A. with a stock '06. I set the cruise on 75 and never looked back.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dlg449
I pulled a heavily loaded 28' fiver from New Jesey to L.A. with a stock '06. I set the cruise on 75 and never looked back.
This is with an auto? and you are not worried about burning up the tranny? I ask because I am interested in the same truck
Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i don't think the tranny is a problem towing (like it was on older trucks)

i think it lives with a stock motor pretty well - it's the modifications to the motor that overpower the stock tranny.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Banned

I had an 05 NV5600 six speed and as far as I'am concerned top gear in any truck auto or manual is top gear. When pulling hills you have to shift down to lower gears no matter what. Now the question is, do it myself or let the truck do it. I also perfer the auto for running through the gears. The engine is just as strong in any lower gear be it manual or auto. With the auto I don't loose boost shifting like with the manual. Try climbing a big hill running through the gears from a stop sign with a manual. Every shift is will I make it to the next gear without loosing to much speed so I still have power to climb. I have been driving manuals for 40 years so it's not a newbie thing for me. With the auto I just let the truck do it's thing.

You can shift a 06-07 auto just like a manual if you want to. Yes it will lockup the TC in 2,3,4 when shifted manually.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
wrm

dont forget about the tow hall feature ,its going to put the trans in a different gear range when pulling hills, and help with braking going down.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:26 PM

Very happy with my auto here. My 06 pulls great. 13000 lb 5er on highway I don't even need tow haul on
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM

I had a 2002 HO 6 speed with a Jacobs exhaust brake that was an absolute dream to tow with. But my boys got too big for the Quad cab and I had to move up to a 2007 Mega Cab. I wanted another 6 speed but the 6 speed has the ratio all screwed up. The engine turns too many RPMs at highway speeds.

So I got the auto. I had a 2000 auto that gave me lots of problems, mainly because it did not lockup in anything but OD.

I towed from NC to KY this weekend, 850 miles total, up Fancy Gap and the mountains of VA and eastern KY.

The verdict, it is still not as good as my 6 speed was, but much improved from the 47re auto. It will lock up in 2nd, D and OD. I used 2nd lock going down a couple of mountains and often used D locked on down hills. I had to hit the brakes a few times, but the engine made a difference holding back. The 2000 47re would just free wheel in these cases.

I pulled pretty much everything no lower than D lock. The Tow/Haul mode really works.

I still would have gotten the 6 speed if I could have the same transmission I had in my 2002. There is just no comparison to the control and confidence of the 6 speed, especially taking off on a grade.

But I think I can live with this 48re auto.

Bobby
Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 PM

I purchased a new 06 in December with plans to pull a gooseneck flatbed with my pulling tractor on it. The tractor weight is 10,500lb and the 25+5 trailer weight is around 7500lb. As I live in Iowa, I thought it may be a good idea to see what Dave Goerend thought should be done to my trans to prevent damaging it before I started pulling with it. His recommendation was to do nothing, as long I left the HP stock. He said the trans cooler had plenty of capacity and the truck had a trans temp light on it if I did overheat it. He felt the trans was adequate for stock HP. I did go ahead and install a trans temp gauge, egt gauge and boost gauge to be able to monitor the temps. I would install Goerend valve body in a heart beat if I knew it would not affect my warranty. Pulling season does not start for another month, so I have not tried it out on the trailer yet.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 AM

I posted this in another forum thread. I love this truck but I think I need the tow chip for the steeper grades. I hate to add the chip because of warranty issue's, but I really think I'm doing more harm not letting the truck free up and run with the HP it really has. I don't think the lack of power in my case has anything to do with the tranny.
Total weight of my truck with trailer is under the spec GCVWR by 500-750lbs. CAT scaled weight 22,480lbs.

Well guys I pull a darn near 15K 40' toy hauler and I've been up the same grades Pauly has and my truck cry's big alligator tears going up them. I’m down to 35-40 mph and the EGT’s are through the roof. It’s all I can do to keep 40mph and keep the EGT’s under 1250*.
Now everywhere else I have drove the truck it handles the weight great. My truck is bone stock, no air box, no chip, no exhaust tubing work. BONE STOCK, other than a Quad Commander to watch things.
I do have a Quad XZT that I’ve had in the box for 4 months and Paul keeps telling me to install the darn thing already. I’m still a tad worried about my warranty so it’s still setting in the box.
I’ve read about guys with stock trucks pulling way over what I have and they say they rip up every hill in the western hemisphere. Well sorry guys I’m not buying it. UNLESS you’ve bombed the truck.
My truck kick’s pulling the weight and I love the ride, but it sure doesn’t like those long 5-6% grades. The last trailer I had was rite around 8500lbs loaded and at that weight I could rip up any grade, but the extra weight of this trailer has slowed me down a lot. All this has me thinking I’m hurting the truck more by NOT bombing it.

Quick Reply: Question for owners of 2006/2007 5.9 CTD Automatic trans Quad Cab or Mega Cab