Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Planning on a Snow trip into Yosemite with trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning on a Snow trip into Yosemite with trailer

I want to go camping in Yosemite this January with my trailer, but I have never towed in snow. It has also been a long time since I was up there in the snow so I do not know what the roads are like during that time of the year.

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Not a single comment.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Try a search for "snow weather" in this forum for info on winter towing, and also try at www.rv.net regarding camping at Yosemite in the winter.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, for starters I'd carry chains for the truck and trailer.

Also, a really nice brake controller like Brakesmart or Maxbrake is very helpful in the winter.

Otherwise, slow and easy, and discretion is the better part of valor (if it gets too nasty, find a place to stop).
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM

From looking at the parks web site, I will need a least a set of chains for the drive axle in the truck, and at least one set for one of my trailer axles with breaks.

I picked up a single set of chains for my truck off CL, for $30, but would like to get another set, possibly cables for the front end. I also would like to get two set for the trailer.

I figure I have my one year old daughter, and my wife on board, and if I have to chain up, I want my A$$ covered going into the valley.

As far as brake controller, I have a "Tekonsha Voyager® Proportional Brake Controller" that I have had for about 9 years. I liked it so much I took it out of my old truck.

I have trailered in bad weather, but never in snow, although I have been through a lot.

Any help is welcome and wanted.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-26-2010, 08:13 AM

Sounds like you will be pretty well set up as far as equipment goes.

The rest will be just good driving skills and judgement. Have plenty of time for your trip, so if you decide it might be a good idea to park for the day and wait until things get plowed and sanded, you can just do it.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't trust your trailer brakes to work in the snow. Either they freeze up so they won't have any braking power. Seriously I think exhaust brake is the only way to go.

When towing on snow and ice I try to put as much weight on the truck as possible.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Would anyone suggest to add some weight (as in a metal road plate or sand bags, or water jugs) to the bed of the truck? I hope there wont be any snow issues, and I think the truck is heavy enough, but I was just wondering...

Thanks,
Joe

Well, I wasn't paying attention to the above post, Edited for being a dummy.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 PM

I live and drive in snow country. I also tow here, but only to LEAVE.

If I were going to Yosemite, and hadn't towed in the snow or driven in snow conditions much, I would first go to the park withOUT the trailer. Get a room at the Awanee or other place. Drive around the park, and check it out.
You mention having a pretty precious cargo, and I think (just my opinion) you should be adept, and sure of what to expect before you go to the max.

Further, you can call the park, and discuss road conditions, and parking for trailers during winter months. the Rangers are quite informed. They will also answer Email, if you contact via their web site. A lot of research will pay off.
Good luck.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 PM

We went, we saw, we conquered!

It was sunny, dry, and mostly clear roads. The roads in the camp were covered in about 2 inches of ice. But that went really well, there was ice on the main road in a couple other places, but we saw that coming and it was no problem.

The BFG ATs worked really well driving around the ice covered roads in the campground, and I never had to chain the truck up, although I did have to put chains on my boots to get around.

We had a great time and my 1 year old loved the snow, and she loved the rides in the sled. I am really glad we went, and I think we will make this an annual trip. There were very little people at the park, we were able to find parking, and never got bumped into rudely while hiking on the trails. It is the best time to go. (DONT TELL ANYONE! )

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zeppe807
There were very little people at the park,
Joe
How small were they?

Glad you had a good time.
I have a son-in-law who is from Arkansas.
First time he saw snow, he was 26 years old,
but played in it like a 6 year old, too funny!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM

My niece lives in FL. First time she saw snow she was about 4 and thought it was white sand. She ran out in it barefoot! What a look of surprise on her face!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeppe807
We went, we saw, we conquered!

It was sunny, dry, and mostly clear roads. The roads in the camp were covered in about 2 inches of ice. But that went really well, there was ice on the main road in a couple other places, but we saw that coming and it was no problem.

The BFG ATs worked really well driving around the ice covered roads in the campground, and I never had to chain the truck up, although I did have to put chains on my boots to get around.

We had a great time and my 1 year old loved the snow, and she loved the rides in the sled. I am really glad we went, and I think we will make this an annual trip. There were very little people at the park, we were able to find parking, and never got bumped into rudely while hiking on the trails. It is the best time to go. (DONT TELL ANYONE! )

Thanks,
Joe
You can also go just after Memorial Day. The parks become deserted (Yellowstone also) .......great time to go while she isn't in school.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you had a safe and fun trip.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 PM

It's been a while, and my truck has been in the shop for almost four months due to a injector and computer.

But here are some pictures.
Name:  IMG_2277.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  84.9 KB
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...1/IMG_2277.jpg

Name:  IMG_2228.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  101.8 KB
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...1/IMG_2228.jpg

Name:  IMG_2203.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  129.0 KB
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...1/IMG_2203.jpg

Name:  IMG_2199.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  120.3 KB
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...1/IMG_2199.jpg

Hope these pictures work, if not let me know.

Joe

Quick Reply: Planning on a Snow trip into Yosemite with trailer