Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Oversize Load going into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oversize Load going into Canada

I have a hauling business w/my Dodge and gooseneck trailer and a guy is asking me to move some over width and height pieces of pipe into Ontario from NY. Both 10 foot diameter and 12 foot diameter 30 foot long. I have no experience going into Canada for work with a commercial vehicle let alone being oversized. Is it more trouble then its worth trying to get an over dimensional trip permit and risk sitting at the border for hours?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

I think the process is pretty much similar to the US, you might want to call ahead and ask some questions - unless they think you are asking things in order to figure out how to get away with things, they should be pretty nice.

I would consider putting in the contract something where the customer pays a rate for each hour you are at the border, and pays for the overdimension permit. Explain that this is less expensive to him than you marking up your price more to compensate for variables you are uncertain of, and hence need to estimate high.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM

I have no idea really about this topic but did Google the topic to get the link to our Provincial Transportation Authority and also found the single trip permit application. Both links to follow and I hope this helps. I doubt you will have any problems at the border as if is Federal and won't really care about the roads it is the province that will hassle you about them. Good Luck.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...oop_single.pdf
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 PM

Post some pics when you get it all loaded up too !
Good luck.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just make sure all your paper work is in order, it is much more of hassle coming back into the US then going into Canada. Unless its a really profitable load I would avoid the hassles.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM

only thing i know is canada will not let anyone who has ever had a DUI in the USA drive a commercial vehicle in their country,don't ask how i know that!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
Just make sure all your paper work is in order, it is much more of hassle coming back into the US then going into Canada. Unless its a really profitable load I would avoid the hassles.
If you come back empty it's no big deal , especially with a flatbed and it's obvious you're empty . If you don't have a passport make sure you at least have your birth certificate to prove your citizenship . Passports will be required after the first of the year . Canada requires a more detailed pretrip . Best to stop at the first truckstop you come to in Canada and get their vehicle inspection forms . I go into Ontario every week . I cross at Port Huron and try to cross the border between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. . I get through in about 30 minutes instead of waiting 2 hours on the bridge during heavier traffic hours .
Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 PM

The guy needs 7 pieces moved by 11/17 so I think I'll pass as I don't want to rush into giving him a quote and get cut short. If anyone is set up to do this send me a PM and I'll give you his info. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scootertrash35
only thing i know is canada will not let anyone who has ever had a DUI in the USA drive a commercial vehicle in their country,don't ask how i know that!

Seriously????? If so,crap!!!!!