Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

new trailer ,need cdl ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey you guys are confusing the issue. YOu add the gvw of the trailer to the gvw of the truck, if it is over 26,000 you must have a cdl. If you have the truck plated for over 26,000 you must have a cdl.

Trailer companies issue data plates at a lower gvw all the time. Or make one yourself, does not have to be made by the company. The law just says that it has to have one.

You can tag one at 25,000 all day long but if the GVW is over, you get the big ticket.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck to those that think they know more than, or are smarter than the DOT. Or that think they are above the laws and regulations.

Since becoming a part of Homeland Security, the DOT has more power than they did just a couple years ago, and the states (which regulate the DOT standards) are learning how much revenue they are losing. So they ARE cracking down. Each state is required to have a minumum of three 72 hour "blitzes" annually to check DOT standards. Just listen to your CB radios, or ask the professional drivers.

In all boils down to two choices. First, you can continue to operate outside (or on the fringes) of the regulations. If so, I suggest you carry your checkbook with you and be willing to "give it up" if caught.

Or second, spend a few extra minutes at both the the licensing and registration office and do it right - and not worry about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Hey you guys are confusing the issue. YOu add the gvw of the trailer to the gvw of the truck, if it is over 26,000 you must have a cdl. If you have the truck plated for over 26,000 you must have a cdl.

Trailer companies issue data plates at a lower gvw all the time. Or make one yourself, does not have to be made by the company. The law just says that it has to have one.

You can tag one at 25,000 all day long but if the GVW is over, you get the big ticket.

Yes, a driver could get by with a home made tag and funky GCVWR and still haul commercially a couple years ago without hassles. But being on the road you certainly must have seen (and experienced) the additional emphasis that is being placed on commercial transport in the past few months??

For example, I got pulled at an exit on EB I-40 in AZ (mm25 I think it was). They weren't pulling big trucks or pickups with DOT signs - the scales were just a couple miles back. But they were pulling all other trucks with trailers (also U Hauls, commercial vans, cars with boat trailers, etc). There was AZ Highway Patrol/DOT (with portable scales), the Border Patrol, and the Sherriff's office involved. Two gents were in cuffs!!

It just ain't the same now as it was even a year or two ago. It is a tough way to make a living, and Uncle Sam IS looking over your shoulder.

That's why I sold a successful business and got out of the transportion industry in May (I miss it, though!).
Old 10-14-2006, 11:38 AM

Not sure about other states but i believe in Texas you can get a non commercial class a or some call it a recreational class a it would be easier to get that then to do all the worrying about it.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CoolVanilla
For example, I got pulled at an exit on EB I-40 in AZ (mm25 I think it was). They weren't pulling big trucks or pickups with DOT signs - the scales were just a couple miles back. But they were pulling all other trucks with trailers (also U Hauls, commercial vans, cars with boat trailers, etc). There was AZ Highway Patrol/DOT (with portable scales), the Border Patrol, and the Sherriff's office involved. Two gents were in cuffs!!

It just ain't the same now as it was even a year or two ago. It is a tough way to make a living, and Uncle Sam IS looking over your shoulder.
I didn't think any of the prior responses said anything about knowing more than the DOT or being above the law.

But I'm not sure what you're implying here in the first paragraph about cars and boat trailers etc.... The Border Patrol pulling over cars and boats trying to nail them for being overweight and/or not having a CDL? The two guys in cuffs, are you implying that they were pulling overweight and commercially? Or is there another part of the story and they possibly were busted for something else, maybe something you are totally unaware of?

It would seem to me that there was some sort of drag net going on looking for something rather than pulling over cars-boats and UHaulers trying to dig up some revenue.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Remember in the end you better know your STATE laws. Here in CA, any trailer over 10K commercial or not, you need a CDL or a non-commercial class A. Perod. No exceptions. Yes, I learned the hard way- I had a 40' gooseneck and was at 22,000 lbs not commercial in nature, just hauling a couple of my show cars. I was cited for driving out of class and had to call a buddy that had a CDL to come drive my truck home for me.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:41 PM

Here in VA, you get a break on the cost of plates if you have 'car' plates. They have realized that a lot of people are puttiing these cheaper plates on their big trucks & SUV's.

The limit on these plates is 4500 lbs.

Not too many suburbans, 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, or expeditions/excursions weigh less than 4500. So, if you have car plates on it, and there is ANY cargo in the vehicles, even a bag of groceries, they will ticket you for being overweight, because the truck weighs more to begin with, and the cargo gives them a better reason to fine you.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 PM

The bottom line is find out what your state requires. Oregon registers pickups as passenger vehicles with no weights listed. In that case DOT goes by actual weight, not registered weight when determining if a CDL is required, even when operating commercially. Registering a trailer for less than it's GVWR rating is perfectly fine as long as you never load it enough to exceed that weight. An Illinois trooper I talked to said they write lots of tickets for being over the registered weight, both commercial and non-commercial.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by CoolVanilla
Yes, a driver could get by with a home made tag and funky GCVWR and still haul commercially a couple years ago without hassles. But being on the road you certainly must have seen (and experienced) the additional emphasis that is being placed on commercial transport in the past few months??

That's why I sold a successful business and got out of the transportion industry in May (I miss it, though!).
Yes and ingnorance is bliss. Have you ever pulled a car hauler? You are always illegal somewhere. Generally if inspected they write two or three things and then stop. Most of the time they can get me for overhight, all the time too much overhang. Depending on the state (they are all different) I get overwidth, overloaded on the trailer axles, over length.

In the real world, you do what you have to, learn the laws real good and what you can get away with, where not to go, and pay a fine now and then. You also learn fast the bridges that are lower than 14-2 or 14-4. My factory made trailer is right at 104 wide, I'm 75 feet long empty and over hang at least 3 1/2 feet on both ends. Soon will add three foot extentions. Dot sort of winks at us, any one of us can get a half dozen tickets on any stop. When they need to write some, they write.

The new scales "super scales" you drive through at 30 mph if the light is green, the scale officer has on the screen your length, hight, and rough weight. Look at any of the haulers, take a Pete or Kw, midroof sleeper, and an suv over the top of that. Over 14 I promase. On the other hand, you can drive 14-4 from San Antone to LA with no bridges to stop you except one on 610 in San Antone. Southern Florida to Alabama is good for near 15 feet.

I have a radio antenna, stainless, that is 14-8, lets me know where the bridges are. When you read the FMCSA manual, read what it says, not what you think it means. Like fuel tank plates, they have to say what the specs are, nothing about the factory being the only one that can print one.

All that being said, if you exceed your plated weight and/or the spec plate weight, your insurance can be void. And the poster is right about the over 10,000 pound trailer being cdl. Look on the back of any cdl and it says so. Ticket with the 40 foot, pulling show cars. If they compete for a prize, they are commercial. Here in Alabama and Georgia, all troopers are DOT and the state is pushing all small town cops to get certified.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM

I miss the good ol days when you didnt have to worry about this stuff. I'm sure the laws help keep our roads a little safer, but in the end I think it's more just about the $$$$$$.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
.....When you read the FMCSA manual, read what it says, not what you think it means.
Well, according to this: (straight from the AL DMV site BTW, but underlined/bolded my me)

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

I don't need a cdl according to these rules, or according to the state of VA (the state I am registered in).

If you misread the class A rules and assume that you need one if your trailer is rated over 10,000 lbs, then you are wrong, as it only applies:
1) if the combination is over 26,001 lbs
2) it is used for interstate commerce.

If you misread the class B rules by not realizing it only applies to tow vehicles over 26,001 lbs, then anyone who tows a trailer of any kind will need a cdl.

Class A is basically for any combination over 26,001 lbs.

Class B is for any vehicles over 26,001 lbs, OR a combination where the trailer is less than 10,000 lbs.

Class C is N/A.

I fall under neither of these, the same as most of us out here. Since my total weight is always under 25,000 lbs, I don't need a class a cdl. Since my truck is only rated for 11,000 lbs, I don't need a class b cdl.

Look at the total weights here.

Class A: minimum of 36,002 lbs
Class B: minimum of 26,001 lbs, but can be up to 36,001 lbs
Class C: n/a for this discussion

I tried to ensure I didn't need one, and every DOT person in VA has told me I didn't, and my trailer is rated 14,000 lbs, with a total GCW on the truck title of 25,000 lbs.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 PM

If you pulling a trailer that is registered or weighting in excess of 10,000lbs and your gross truck and trailer is excess of 26,000lbs or registered for more than, and you will be benefiting for doing so wether it be money, prizes, a purple ribbon from your local fair you are now a commerical vechile that would technicly require a DOT#, classA CDL, And a DOT health card.
If your tailer is registered or weighting more than10,000lbs but combination truck and trailer is less than 26,000lbs then you only need a DOT health Card, DOT# if you are hauling for profit or prize, etc...
Class B if the truck is registered or weighting more than26,000lbs and trailer is registered and weighing less than 10,000lbs. Health card ,Truck would need DOT# as well. Hope this helps.
P.S. TRCM after reading your post more carefully we are trying to say the same thing?

Jed
Old 10-17-2006, 05:17 PM

not sure on the dot health card....VA told me I didn't need any of that, and my trailer is registered at 14k, truck at 11, with a gcw of 25k on the truck registration.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:21 PM

looks like am going to give up and get the cdl-------ordering a 53' Haulmark Edge 18000 gvw
Old 10-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bulabula
I didn't think any of the prior responses said anything about knowing more than the DOT or being above the law.

But I'm not sure what you're implying here in the first paragraph about cars and boat trailers etc.... The Border Patrol pulling over cars and boats trying to nail them for being overweight and/or not having a CDL? The two guys in cuffs, are you implying that they were pulling overweight and commercially? Or is there another part of the story and they possibly were busted for something else, maybe something you are totally unaware of?

It would seem to me that there was some sort of drag net going on looking for something rather than pulling over cars-boats and UHaulers trying to dig up some revenue.
They are looking for people that are hauling in three categories:
First, anybody that is hauling illegals - - quite common in that part of the country. Thus the Border Patrol.

Second, they are looking for people that are hauling for hire and trying to pretend it is a buddy's boat or car, or furniture, or whatever. THAT is where the CDL, Class A, MC numbers, etc comes into play. Thus the DOT (and scales).

Third, they are looking for illegal drugs or other contraband (like bomb making materials, etc - remember what blew up the Murrah Building in OKC?). Thus the Sherriff's department.

If what you have behind you is your own personal property, and is'nt illegal - - then you are waved on by. But if you have anything illegal behind you (like somebody else's property without the proper documentation, or people that aren't citizens of this country or without legal papers, or have any form of contraband) then yes, you may be in cuffs at one of these stops.

Quick Reply: new trailer ,need cdl ?