Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

The new 16" wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
PCM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new 16" wheels/tires

I got the new Sendel 7 spoke aluminum wheels and BFGoodrich Commercial T/A 215/85r16e tires mounted on the fiver on Saturday. They look real good and I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle and track. The 215 is 1/4 inch narrower than the 225 ST's I replaced. I went with the 215 to insure against the top of the taller tire touching the slide bar mechanism. This tire is being used by another person with the same brand of fiver as mine with great satisfaction. PCM
Attached Thumbnails The new 16" wheels/tires-img_0855.jpg   The new 16" wheels/tires-img_0868.jpg   The new 16" wheels/tires-img_0870.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Man, am I jealous! Those look great.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
PCM, (do you have a 1st name?!!)

The new tires and wheels look great... so much nicer and safer than stock.

Don't forget to re-torque the lug nuts after a bit.

I find with my aluminum trailer wheels that after I have taken them off and then re-installed,
I have to re-torque many times until the lug nuts "take a set".

Your nice wheels remind of a Carriage Domani 5th wheel I saw an RV show last winter with one major difference.
It also had these awesome looking wheels and low profile tires.
When I got close to check them out, they were 20inch passenger car tires.
All show and bling, but totally unsafe and they had no business being on a large 5th wheel.

Happy camping..

...Joe
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM

I think you will notice a change.
I haven't towed an RV lately, but I did back to back car hauler towing with different trailers and tires sizes.
The first trailer had 15" tires with a good load of hay. It towed very nice, but it was only 6-7K load.
Last was a new 20k trailer with 16" tires. I had a 99 Dodge pulling truck on there so it was around 11k load. That trailer was so smooth on the 16's. Hauling a 4x4 truck on a taller trailer really puts the CG up in the RV range.

Thanks for the post. I hope it tows well for you.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
PCM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
PCM, (do you have a 1st name?!!)

The new tires and wheels look great... so much nicer and safer than stock.

Don't forget to re-torque the lug nuts after a bit.

I find with my aluminum trailer wheels that after I have taken them off and then re-installed,
I have to re-torque many times until the lug nuts "take a set".

Your nice wheels remind of a Carriage Domani 5th wheel I saw an RV show last winter with one major difference.
It also had these awesome looking wheels and low profile tires.
When I got close to check them out, they were 20inch passenger car tires.
All show and bling, but totally unsafe and they had no business being on a large 5th wheel.

Happy camping..

...Joe
Hello. Phillip here.
Thanks for the compliments. The aluminum wheels are from Sendel and rated at 3200lbs and 110psi. The center hubs are stainless with a removeable cap to allow you to use the easy-lub grease fittings.
I have seen the Domani, too. I very good looking rig, however, more of a party coach than anything else. Low cargo capacity and the wheels and tires you saw are an expensive option.
I appreciate the torque tips. I figured as much and I will be sure to do so. My first trip with the new shoes is the weekend of he 25th and is only 160 miles round tirp. So should be a good trip to do some retorquing.
I feel pretty comfortable with the new set up especially since no mods were necessary fo the fitment.
The only thing I had a really hard decesion with was going with the 215 vs 225. I felt I could not chance the taller 225 and its proximity to the slide room bar. The 215 is only 1/4 narrower. The positive of that, I guess, is less lateral scuffing on the ground on those tight turns. I hae not heard any problems of sway with the 215.
I will post some pi of the rig itched up within the net 2 weeks. I should have raised the rear of the trailer about 1 inch.
Hapy travels. PCM (PHILLIP)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 AM

actually phillip the bfg 2158516 is only .1 inch narrower than the 2257515 goodyear marathon according to their website. i'm either going to put the same tire on ours or go with the 2358516. going to mount one and see if it will fit...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PCM, if you don;t mind, how much (ball park) did this setup set you back? I need to do something with my TT tires and looking for information.
Thanks,
-P
Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
PCM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
PCM, if you don;t mind, how much (ball park) did this setup set you back? I need to do something with my TT tires and looking for information.
Thanks,
-P
I got the 4 aluminum 16" wheels, lug nuts, and center caps from a seller on ebay for $439 shipping included. I got a stock type steel wheel for the spare from an ebay seller for $45 shipping included. The 5 tires I got from Costco for $625 including mounting and balancing. All total for just shy of $1200. Any other specifics, let me know. phillip
Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch, that is kind of what I expected though. I am thinking about my options, I would rather replace my trailer tires BEFORE I have a blowout...
Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
PCM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
Ouch, that is kind of what I expected though. I am thinking about my options, I would rather replace my trailer tires BEFORE I have a blowout...
Yep! I have debated the change for nearly a year. The continued postings on this forum as well as 2 others I view about ST vs LT tires made me decide to go ahead and upgrade. Despite the fact I have had no problems, maintain the tires psi, and am not overloaded; I DO tow at the posted speed limits which in my parts is usually 70mph. The ST tires are not rated for speeds of more than 65unless you can increase the psi. My rims were rated at 65psi, as well. My new rims are 16" and rated up to 110psi giving me lots of tire choices. Based on what I'e reade about LT tires and the BFG Commercial T/A), I think I will be happy and safer. The only concern I have even though I have not read any concerns as such is increased sway. BUT, I dont think it will be a problem. PCM