Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

The Need For a Passport.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Need For a Passport.

For those of you towing or just going to Canada or Mexico, I just got some, new-to-me, information I thought I'd share.

Today, I was going to go to the Post Office & apply for a new Passport as I was planning a trip to Ontario, CAN in late June, after Thunder @IRP. Even got my Passport photo's taken, yesterday, at Costco ($4.99+tax). I had heard that as of 12/31/'05, you would need to have a Passport to get back into the US from Canada or Mexico.

In todays Phoenix newspaper (1/18/'06) there is an article about a new Federal ID Card becoming available late this year, that will do some of the same things that a Passport does. That article is what prompted me to do further research into Passports.

The law has changed regarding the need for a Passport to get back into the US. Now, you will need a Passport for AIR TRAVEL after 12/31/'06.
For LAND BORDER CROSSINGS, the new date for Passports will be after 12/31/'07. Aparently, there was some confusion & the US Dept. of State couldn't meet the demands for new Passports so, they extended the dates.

The Federal ID Card will act as a Passport only in that it will allow you to travel across "Land Borders, Only". It won't be any good for Air Travel. Also, the Federal ID Card will be about 1/2 the cost ($50.00) of a new Passport ($97.00). The Fed. ID Card will be the size of a drivers license, as opposed to the Passport, which, is much larger & less convenient to carry around with you.
I got this information on the National Passport Information Center(NPIC) website (travel.state.gov) & verified it with a phone call to NPIC (1-877-487-2778). If you want to e-mail them, their address is: NPIC@state.gov. Their call center(phone) is open from 8AM-8PM, M-F.

At this time, acceptable ID at the borders are a pictured drivers license & a certified (impression stamped) birth certificate.

I just saved myself $97.00 by doing a bit of research.

Hope this helps some of you.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 01-18-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this federal card the same as a FAST card?