Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Michelin LTX AS - Your thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom line is that Michelin tires last, period. I have ridden on some M/S's that were some dang good tires.(of course on another vehicle). The A/S are just as good of tire except for the off roading type terrain .
Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun
They are great tires for highway and drive pavement. I have an 03 quad cab 4x4 and are still the original tires with 65k on them and still have another 10k left. Seems like they last forever, but don't use them on wet grass, off-road or snow because they are terrible under those conditions.

Could not agree more.
Crap on anything but dry pavement....last a long time though.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

I agree with most here. Loved them on dry pavement. On my red clay county road when it rains, they absolutely stink...might as well have slick steel tires on at that point. They ride good, handle good on the front as far as steering goes, and wear good....just don't leave the road!!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree. The LTX A/S handles well and wears like iron. Dangerous in the snow. Not an All Season tire by my Colorado standards.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:08 AM

I think they are junk and will get a new set of tires very soon.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:44 PM

My Michelins are a little noisy, wore fast initially and then when they had lost almost half of their tread, have worn very well indeed. They, combined with the limited slip dif, perform poorly when stopped on grass or slightly rutty ice and snow. I had blamed this on the limited slip which spins both tires far too easily. I appreciate the replies in this thread for pointing to the Michelins there.

I have not noticed a problem on wet pavement or ice once moving. They have never needed rebalancing and are as round and smooth as they were when new. I find them excellent in my 235/85 16 size. I bought a pair of Bridgestones that were a fair bit cheaper and find them pretty good although maybe a touch less long wearing. I like the Michelins for highway and because I use them in the winter need an all season rating so as not to get hassled at mountain roadblocks.

I had some japanese made Bridgestone highway rib tires on my RV and loved the handling and wear and winter traction. The weight gave me all the traction I needed with them but try to convince a mounty at a roadblock! I used to take the motorhome ice fishing and never came near to getting stuck.

I buy my michelins at Costco because they have a really generous money back policy. I have never needed to use the refund though.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:11 PM

Looking at the Michelin site one gathers that the LTX A/S primary attributes were to be quiet. Looking at places like TireRack the LTX M&S gets decent ratings, better than the BFG Rugged Trails or the LTX A/S. I found the LTX A/S to be marginal in the rain, you could break them loose kind of easily but additional siping helped, they were ok in snow with 4wd as long as it wasn't too deep, marginal on cold/hard ice and packed snow if you were careful and weren't doing hills, but they were worthless on frost and soft/warmer ice. Wet grass, some types of mud, etc., could also be a problem. They have nice life though, as 60k to 70k miles seems kind of common.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:03 PM

I really like the LTX MS 235-85-16's for towing.

Good treadlife, quiet ride. Good on dry pavement, Good on wet pavement, average on snow, below average in heavy mud. Good fuel economy.

In winter I switch to a dedicated winter tire.

I tried the A/S version once. Never again. Too hard a compound to be an A/S tire IMHO, but good if you do not get snow or venture into the mud. Excellent on dry roads, Excellent in the rain... every other condition you put them thru leaves ya wanting.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:08 PM
DBF

I just keep using the M/S variant in LT235/85-16.

Good wear on the roads I use, tow great, decent in rain.

I stay out of snow as much as possible, but I was raised in Michigan and can handle it; I put some weight in the rear and do everything slowly.

Got onto a couple of wet clay roads in AK that were kinda iffy, so I just don't go there.

Regards, DBF
Old 09-10-2006, 09:01 PM

20K miles and they are hardly worn. #1 highway and towing..... #0 snow and bad weather. Trying to wear them out to get new different ones but just can't......
Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I might upgrade tires if I can find a buyer for my Michelins. It may take me another 30k to wear them out.

MikeyB
Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
I might upgrade tires if I can find a buyer for my Michelins. It may take me another 30k to wear them out.

MikeyB
Shouldn't take too long to burn 'em off...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Banned

I put just over 100k on my OEM Michelin LTX A/S tires. They were great tires on the road. I towed A LOT! I never got stuck when not on pavement. But I didn't do anything stupid or take any chances off-road either. My off-roading was extremely light, and only done out of necessity. They were great tires.

Just bought Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's. They are "rated" better in almost every aspect than the Michelin's I took off. The Duellers look more agressive, have no doubt they would do better in the snow than the Michelins did (when I lived in Michigan), and no doubt they would do better off road. On the road and towing, they feel status quo (which is great). Mainly in part because I drive the truck like a truck ... not like a sports car. Paid $750 for them including tax, tag, title, install, and every other fee known to man. So, not what you'd call cheap.

I personally think if you randomly drew from a choice of (1) Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's, (2) Michelin LTX M/S, and (3) Michelin LTX A/S, (all Load Range E) you would have great tires for your truck. But 1 - 3 are my personal ranking of best to "2nd runner-up."

If you're talking about getting the tires much less than $750, and they're load range E, I give you a big ole thumbs up and say go for it!

- JyRO
Old 09-11-2006, 09:57 PM

Michelins

I have a set that sees all hiway and loaded all the time with trailer avg. 12k
Right now I am at exactly half tread (measured usable tread) w/52k on them.
At this rate I expect to just top 100k at replacement time. ( that will be 2/32 on the rear and 4/32 on the front per dot ) Avg/ speed is 60 on interstates.
This is with Centramatics on all 4 wheels since the beginning, and yes I think it does make a differance. R C
Old 09-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Shouldn't take too long to burn 'em off...
Been working on it for over three years now...

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Michelin LTX AS - Your thoughts??