Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Making $$$ with your Dodge CTD

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making $$$ with your Dodge CTD

Hey all Just wondering, I've got a great job, make good $$$ and bennies already, but have a lot of free time on the weekend and during some times of the month. I thought it might be a good idea to offer my towing and hauling services to interested parties, using my Dodge of course. I don't wan't a class A commercial license, just looking to haul small loads around the Southwest on weekends etc.

ANybody got ideas who to ask or talk to???

TIA.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:46 PM

To haul interstate you will need DOT authority . This is far too expensive to do on a part-time basis . For more info register at hotshothauling.com and read the How To section in the forums .
Old 11-26-2006, 05:03 PM

Thanks buddy I'll check it out.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 PM

Have to agree....used to HotShot and its not very feasible as a part-time venture. Licencing, Liability insurance, DOT, and such. Either in or out would be my opinion. Then the whole credibility issues arises, hard to be considered credible while only operating part-time. The best use of a 1-ton or less is as a hotshot, and this is a 24/7 availability....otherwise you fade away as unreliable! You may want to check some of the local delivery co's, deliver furniture, packages and such. Some of them will take on part-time trucks.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but when I was in it full-time, the industry tried hard to 'bust' the part-timers. No offence, just trying to prepare you for what you might encounter!

Good luck with it!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM
HOV

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=making+living
Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 AM

why not talk to your locar RV dealers?? lots of people buy/trade there units that have long term lease spots, and don't need /want a big truck. so thery just pay to have their old unit pulled out and new one put it. you may have to set the new one up though. i know when my Mom in law got her new one in 98 ( no one had enough truck at the time) the dealer charged her $1200.00 from calgary to kaslo ( 8hrs ) the driver and me talked he said they paid him $800.00 + fuel + hotel . he stayed in the old trailer though but they gave him the money for the hotel costs would be. just a thought, as you are insured to pull trailers or 5vrs anyway, and they could just put you on payroll instead of setting up a business, extra insurance, commercial plates , yadda yadda yadda. also when i was in SO-CAL last summer there where outfits that pull peoples units from campground to campground ,(with set up ) but then there's the whole company identity issue again.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SRTchris
why not talk to your locar RV dealers?? lots of people buy/trade there units that have long term lease spots, and don't need /want a big truck. so thery just pay to have their old unit pulled out and new one put it. you may have to set the new one up though. i know when my Mom in law got her new one in 98 ( no one had enough truck at the time) the dealer charged her $1200.00 from calgary to kaslo ( 8hrs ) the driver and me talked he said they paid him $800.00 + fuel + hotel . he stayed in the old trailer though but they gave him the money for the hotel costs would be. just a thought, as you are insured to pull trailers or 5vrs anyway, and they could just put you on payroll instead of setting up a business, extra insurance, commercial plates , yadda yadda yadda. also when i was in SO-CAL last summer there where outfits that pull peoples units from campground to campground ,(with set up ) but then there's the whole company identity issue again.
I bet he is NOT insured to haul commercially . He could be hired personally as a driver but the truck is another issue . It would have to be leased to them to be covered under their insurance which would still make it a commercial vehicle voiding the personal coverage he has . He would be a commercial driver and be required to run a log book and have a DOT physical . Due to complaints from RV haulers and hotshotters that do have authority most states keep a close eye on 1 tonners hauling anything . I see them parked at the scales all the time .
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by RickG
I bet he is NOT insured to haul commercially . He could be hired personally as a driver but the truck is another issue . It would have to be leased to them to be covered under their insurance which would still make it a commercial vehicle voiding the personal coverage he has . He would be a commercial driver and be required to run a log book and have a DOT physical . Due to complaints from RV haulers and hotshotters that do have authority most states keep a close eye on 1 tonners hauling anything . I see them parked at the scales all the time .
maybe different in Canada then cause you see it all the time here.and i heve never seen a 3500 sitting on the scales, i drive the crowsnest pass (#3 in B.C) and all the scales say "all commercial except 15000lbs and under" something like that, i'll post pics i am going through this weekend, and B.C. is really sticky bout hauling . actually about the only time i have ever seen passenger trucks being inspected was during sled season , and it was guys with 1500 that had two sleds on the box and pulling a trailer.

Last edited by SRTchris; 11-27-2006 at 10:49 AM. Reason: just adding to responce
Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 AM

maybe different in Canada then cause you see it all the time here.
Very possibly so but the original poster is from CA and their DOT is so unreasonable I refuse to enter the state . A lot of haulers with authority will call and report someone they think is running illegaly .
Old 11-27-2006, 10:57 AM

i'll take pics and post, i'm sure a lot of guys who are in here havn't seen any of B.C. and may enjoy the pics , and i'll be sure to get a pic of the scale signs so you can see what i'm talking about. i though CA was crazy too, at the agurcultural check ( spelling??) tehy tore my trailer apart!! not pulling palnels off, but looking for something, i think it's cause of the mad cow thing going on at the time , and i was from AB where it happened, ohh well 3hrs of waiting for nothing.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:47 PM

Very possibly so but the original poster is from CA and their DOT is so unreasonable I refuse to enter the state . A lot of haulers with authority will call and report someone they think is running illegaly .

That's funny because other than the speed limit I like to pull in CA. Pickups are exempt at the scales and no permits needed. On the other side of the coin is AZ. They rip off pickup haulers big time.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 PM

maybe different in Canada then cause you see it all the time here.and i heve never seen a 3500 sitting on the scales, i drive the crowsnest pass (#3 in B.C) and all the scales say "all commercial except 15000lbs and under" something like that, i'll post pics i am going through this weekend, and B.C. is really sticky bout hauling . actually about the only time i have ever seen passenger trucks being inspected was during sled season , and it was guys with 1500 that had two sleds on the box and pulling a trailer.
Hey from a guy just down the hiway a bit!

Actually you are both right and wrong! In Alberta, we have to scale if we are 'registered' over 4500kg. This basically means anyone 2500 to 3500 with commercial plates. This is the catch....if I switch to personal plates I can run a 3500 dually with a 40' GN trailer and go right past the scales, no problem, but a big toolbox in the back with commercial plates and I have to scale. In fact, by law I have to scale even empty. BC for an Alberta plated vehicle stands for 'Bring Cash'. For me to run in BC i need separate plates and insurance, and THEN abide by their ridiculous laws. Most of us will not haul in BC, just not worth it. If you are runnin personal plates, you never have to worry about it, at least for now. This is about to change...AB is trying to bring in a new law that would include the personal plates (which I support) due to the large number of Dakotas and such pulling 30'+trailers. Many RV wrecks, and no laws for these recreational types. Hope this helps a little!

By the way, pulled RV's and other trailers for years, and yes there is some money to be made, but definately kill a few trucks while doing it!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:19 PM

I ran Alberta to California (Redmond)many times, never had any issues, maybe just lucky??
Old 11-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Thanks Everybody!

The knowledge shared here is appreciated

I'll look throught the resources provided and see what turns out.

Thanks again everybody.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:53 PM

Feel free to email me, dedicated.transport@comcast.net

I haul equipment on a part-time basis you could say, i'll give you the ins and outs.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Making $$$ with your Dodge CTD