Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

long bed vs. short bed

Old 12-31-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long bed vs. short bed

Difference in towing is really noticeable. I was originally going to buy a short bed but the best deal available at the time was a long bed 4X2 quad cab with the 6 spd manual. I am really glad I got the long bed now and would not go back to a short bed truck unless I knew for sure I was never going to tow anything with the truck. I used to think the short beds looked a lot better but the long bed grows on ya after a while.

I tried to sell my '99 short bed 4X4 a while back and I had ten guys come to look at it...every single one of them told me that if it was a long bed they would have bought it on the spot. They all wanted it for towing. So resale value seems to be tilted in favor of the long beds. I know there is a difference in towing my boat and backing the trailer is easier with the long bed than it ever was with my SB '99.

Something to think about when deciding on what to purchase...
Old 12-31-2003, 08:20 PM

Another problem is that the bigger cab in the 3rd gen came from the bed, it's 3" shorter to the center. I never used my slider on the 01 but I need it on the 04.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RE: long bed vs. short bed

Another consideration is if you need to haul volume loads such as hay, lumber, sawdust. I'll never have another short bed again. Long beds are just more versitle.

Frank.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:59 PM

Does the wheelbase make that much of a difference towing? I have a reg. cab Long bed so I have the same WB as a shortbed quad cab (I think). I've pulled up next to a lot of 2 axle 48# GVW or 60# GVW tractors and I have a longer wheelbase than them!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:22 AM

This might be a dumb question but why is the longbed better for towing? Is it more stable?
I live in the Seattle area and I looked very hard for about eight months before I bought my truck and SWB QC around here are very rare (used.) If a lot did get one in it didn't last long.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:10 AM

Doug,

A long bed provides the clearances required for towing a fifth wheel trailer. With a short bed you risk impacting the cab with the trailer on tight turns. That is because the distance from the pin to the corner of the trailer is greater than the distance from the pin to the cab. This can be overcome by a slider hitch, either manual or automatic, like the Pullrite Superglide.

The longer wheel base is simply a more stable platform for towing. It is just a matter of leverage. If you want a short bed for towing a fiver, go ahead. There are ways to overcome the problems. But if you don't have any particular love for the short bed, then I always recommend a long bed for towing fivers.

Casey
Old 01-05-2004, 02:50 PM

Among other things, the longer the wheelbase, the less the truck reacts to steering input, so especially with tag trailers, steering inputs don't upset the the rig as much.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:42 PM

I had a 99 short bed, an 01 long bed and now the 03 long bed. I pulled the same 5er with all 3.

The long bed makes a big difference in stability while under tow especially when you're hit with high crosswinds or a truck wash. Also with the short bed I needed a slider hitch. When I went to the long bed I removed the slider mechanism. Right away I noticed less slop in the hitch mount while under tow. I'd never go back.

I know several people who pull 5ers and still swear by the short box. Theory has it that it is easier to back a trailer into a campsite due to the shorter wheelbase. In the 4 years I've been towing and camping I've never been confronted with a campsight that was so tight that I needed the short bed.

Just my opinion!!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:53 PM

Sometimes I forget I'm even towing a trailer with our long bed. It's nice that you can put 4x8 plywood in the back and shut the tailgate.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 PM

Go for the long bed. Greater stability and ride when towing.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 96 Quad Cab Short Bed and i pull a goose neck horse trailer and a flat deck and cant really tell the differnce becuse iam the same length as the long bed reg cab but there are bad sides to the short bed like bed volume sucks but i have had 34 bales of hay in there and as for good advangte i have a 26' horse trailer so if i can save two feet iam happy and the other thing is were i work i haul an occasionall full ton pallet of freight in the bed and with the short bed its nice becuase the weight is kind of close not out tehre like the long bed. just my two pennys
Old 01-16-2004, 11:11 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will never own another short bed or truck with an automatic transmission again!!
But Hey thats Me.. LOL
Old 01-16-2004, 11:47 AM

shortbeds look better but longbeds are WAY more functional!! Especally if you want to put in a tool box or fuel tank
Old 01-22-2004, 08:19 PM

Angry

I only pulled with a long bed, I was at 13,280 thats with a 26' car trailer with a 92
caddy. I drove the car on straped it down and had to look to see if it was still on the 5th wheel i got 19 mpg 225k on the colck and an auto trans went to FL naples and back got 100 miles from home and had a ford explr. t-bone me on I95
in conn. The truck it's no more it's just a pile, frame is bent 3 ways every panel was hit took out 200' of guard rail backwards. now it's shoe leather express untill
he pays up. he got a fist full of tickets I just got a fist..(thanks to HID for the help )
TOM
Old 01-22-2004, 11:16 PM

I would have loved to have a long bed but I could not walk around it in my garage so I chose to go with a short bed and a sliding hitch. So far I have only had to slide the hitch back in one location. Unfortunatly that location is putting it in
my parking spot at home, ( I have to swing left to miss a pole as I am backing up and then hard to the right after the trailer passes the pole). It would be nice if I could unlock the front end and use low range. That utility pole is also the reason that I do not have a dually( I bought my trailer while my truck was on order and got a friend to tow it home for me with his dual wheel truck the protruding fenders would not miss the pole so we unhooked and got my neighbor to park it with his short box truck). Does anyone know what I could pour on the pole that would cause it to rot so that the City would have to change it.
Jim O

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: long bed vs. short bed