Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Jayco travel trailers, any expirience???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jayco travel trailers, any expirience???

Any body have any expirience with Jayco travel trailers, Like a Jay Feather?? What do you think?? Kinda of looking at one for down the road right now, looking for some input. I like the little two axle queen bed jobs. Not sure if I want to jump into a tenty+ footer. And I am thinke bumber pull as opposed to fith. Pros, Cons?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 PM

I have a 31' double slide Jayflight. I like it a lot. It is big enough that it does tend to buck some on certain roads where a 5er probably wouldn't. The only issue I have had is the frame under the bed was stapled together and it came apart. There are better built trailers for a LOT more money and worse built trailers for similar money. We have been looking at 5ers and for the same basic floorplan and options, to go to what I would consider a higher quality is another $10k over the Jayco.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
DRD

I've got an 06 Jayco and it's been flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am actually looking into buying a 2008 Jayco Jay Flight Travel Trailer model:30BHS-TT. I haven't been able to get any details on it yet but will definately go and look at one when I get home from work later on this month. Just from shopping on the internet, the Jayco's I think have the best looking interiors compared to the other's in the 20,000 dollar range. I also like the standard equippment that is included as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Jayco before, and would buy another one. Good trailer for the money.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a used '93 Jayco FS3500 last year and have been happy with it. It's my first travel trailer but it's done well towing from NY to NM and many points in between. 35' is long enough to know it's back there but my D250 doesn't gripe too much. Can't comment on the new ones since I didn't even look at new ones but I hear good things about Jayco overall.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 PM

I have an 08 G2. All wood interior and we love it!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:33 PM

Ive had my jayco Designer 5er for 7 years now and i has worked great for me. It is a 1999 RLTS 37'. The only thing that ive had to change so far is the water pump. I think jayco is one of the better quailities out there in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

we bought our jay flight new in 05. its a 31' bunkhouse double slide.
other than the usual scratches and things repaired when it was new, i have had no problems..
Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a KC RV next door and looked at Jaycos a lot when I considered buying an RV. I know people like them but whether it is the roads to Colorado, or the constant dry air here - they did not impress me. Brand new, on the dealer lot, Jay Flights next year models had peeling off moldings inside, sliding doors on one unit fell off together with the jamb, which revealed that they were held in place by staples. Kitchen cabinetry had uneven triangular gaps between boxes and doors. Basically, numerous cosmetic imperfections that made me think, if they took so little care to make even the most obvious things right, what is going on in the areas that are impossible to see?
Valley RV, also next door started carrying BigFoot trailers this summer. Now that is like night and day with Jays: impeccable fit and finish, superb attention to detail, dual panes throughout. But, the price is also up there.
Just my .02 worth.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM

I have a 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 23 (about 25 ft. long) which weighs in about 7,000 lb. loaded. I've pulled it all over the US (including Alaska). The bumpy Alaskan roads will shake anything loose if it's not put together well. Mine has held up well and I would make the same choice if I had to do it over. The only problem I've had is the brake wires are fed thru the axles and abraded the insulation & shorted the brakes out. The fix is easy tho. Just route the wires outside the axle.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you will like the 5th wheel a lot better than the bumper pull, jayco has been building trailers for 40 years . when i bought my new jayco i saved a huge amount of money and gave up a little bit of cosmetics and quality over the next brand. made a few modifications and repairs myself , like changed all lights to led's, upgraded the power converter and changed stereo to hard drive lossless wma player. you will like the jayco and now is the best time to buy
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 PM

I like the Jayflight and Designer's a lot, have looked at both. The Jayfeather are built pretty light. If you can, I recommend going with the Jayflight instead. Awesome trailer for the money.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:52 AM

I think Jayco would be fine for a trailer you don't intend on pulling and staying in a lot. I've never owned one but have looked at them and from what I see the quality/price is just about right. Personally I live in my fifth wheel for a large portion of the year due to work and wanted something that would hold up, and didn't feel jayco was an option for me. Not wanting one over 20 feet I'm assuming you aren't planning on spending large amounts of time in it so you will probably be good.

Plan on getting it serviced on a reg basis as ALL trailers that I have seen have things go wrong with them. I bought a used 36' king of the road less than a year ago and it's already seen some minor repairs (keep in mind minor repairs can still be $1,000+)

IMHO, you may be better off to purchase a used trailer and save some cash. Most of the times you can pick up an extended warranty with your purchase.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checkout Sunnybrook's Sunset Creek line of travel trailers. We have been very happy with our 2007 Sunset Creek 255RK. After looking at both, we felt that the Sunset Creek was higher quality.

Quick Reply: Jayco travel trailers, any expirience???