Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

how much can my truck handle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much can my truck handle

I am looking for an honest answer as to what I can safely tow and what my truck can realisticly handle>

I have access to an escavator that ways 7 ton, not counting the trailer which is a tandem axle dual wheel beaver tail.
Will my truck hande this? On a short haul say 15 miles and is it safe?
Thanks in advance for any info
Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 PM

Can your truck do it? Yep. Is it safe? Well, you are going to be WAY WAY over what the truck is rated for. You are the only one to make the safety decision. A lot depends on the trailer (brakes, suspension,etc.) and how confident you feel with that kind of load behind you. If you can take a route that you can keep your speed reasonable and keep the hills to a minimium you might be O.K. Just remember that the 2500 is rated for 16,000 cgvw with the 3.54 rears and 20,000 cgvw with the 4.10 gears. What I am trying to say is that given all the facts you are the only one to decide if you should do it.
BTW, if it was me, I would figure some way to do it (with my truck).
Tom
Old 12-29-2003, 03:13 PM

If it is a gooseneck and has good brakes and you have experience in pulling heavy loads and how to bias the load it could work. Tongue type I'd say NOWAY. If you've never wagged the dog on a tongue type it is a life changing experience!! Alot of IF'S is'nt it.This is just my opinion.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odds are that trailer has a lunette for a pintle hitch. Your truck won't be happy pulling it, to put it mildly.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:15 PM

The load will put you right up to where the Dodge has had enough weight. It would have to be a gooseneck or fifthwheel. With a 2500 your rear tires will be way overloaded unless you have 14 ply rated or equal. With a gooseneck properly loaded you will have over 5000 pounds of hitch weight. I did that all the time but had three axles, and 14 ply tires. If you do this you hopefully have experience with heavy loaded vehicles and a good braking system on both the truck and trailer. Like was said, it is your decision based on your own experience and how the truck is set up. I never put the trailer on the truck until I had the 14 ply tires on it.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:58 AM

Thumbs down My Honest Opinion

In my opinion, you will be way overloaded. Safe? No way.

Casey
Old 01-02-2004, 04:07 PM

Your post says you are looking for the safe and honest answer to how much your truck will handle. The answer is simple it is on the door frame of your truck. anything beyond what is given by the Mfg. is on your back if anything happens in a law suit you lose. Just as a suggestion maybe there are some vehicles out there you could pick up that will reasonably haul the load at a cost you could afford. I had an old J.D. 310 hoe that I bought an old Chevy 60 series Dump to haul it.When I got done fooling with it I sold it all for about what I paid for it. good luck
Old 01-02-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by blackjack
Your post says you are looking for the safe and honest answer to how much your truck will handle. The answer is simple it is on the door frame of your truck. anything beyond what is given by the Mfg. is on your back if anything happens in a law suit you lose. Just as a suggestion maybe there are some vehicles out there you could pick up that will reasonably haul the load at a cost you could afford. I had an old J.D. 310 hoe that I bought an old Chevy 60 series Dump to haul it.When I got done fooling with it I sold it all for about what I paid for it. good luck
The GCWR is not on the door frame. It is determined individually by state law where he is registered. GVW = the weight the truck can weigh with the load. GCWR = the weight the truck can carry total, truck and trailer.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Banned

I simply hate these type of questions. I believe you know the answer, but you are looking to others to help justify what you suspect is wrong.
To pull a load like you sugested, and to do so safely. One should possess the ability and knowledge that is gained thru actual experience of pulling much smaller loads over various conditions. This "Hands On" method has a gradual but steadly improving learning curve. One is taught the trade in manageable steps, where errors only cause small, containable , and maybe embarassing moments. Having gone this route, one would have no need to ask on a forum such as this, if he is capable of towing such a load. He simply would know. Since you ask for a truthful and straight answer, and because you needed to ask, my answer would be NO. And if you do try, you will not enjoy the modest learning curve like above, you are jumping the begining and middle, and going straight to the top. This is the fast route, but the consequences of those actions are also just as huge, and unforgiving. Good Luck
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 PM

Here in Minnesota the state DOES RECOGNIZE the manufacturers CGVW as weight the truck can LEGALLY haul. If you want I can go out to my truck and give you the statute number. I also suspect that other states also follow the same guide lines.
Tom
Old 01-06-2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks for all the help ( most of you)!!

Mr. Y-Knot I have been pulling trailers behind vehicles since I got my license 20 years ago I have moved many peices of equipment that wieghed more than this and my Dodge put together. I hold a class A license and have since I was 18 years old. My reasoning behind my question was for the simple fact that I know these trucks are built to pull, but since I purchased my first diesel Dodge only 6 mo.'s ago I have yet to have a chance to put a real load behind it. I am soooo sorry that I asked what you (seem to be the only one) consider a stupid question and will refrain from directing any more towards you. Please except my apology !!
Old 01-06-2004, 04:39 PM

I gross from 24000 to 33000 on my 2500 quad short bed dodge alot. Small gross is on a triple axle 24 ft. gooseneck with hyd. disk brakes. Large gross is on a 28ft. gooseneck with tandem axles and duels and hyd. drum brakes. All tires are 14 ply. At both gross wieghts the truck handles it pretty good,but at the higher gross I am very careful as to following to closely to anybody. I've pulled trailers behind pickups for about 25 yrs. and brakes and weight bias are you're main concern. I won't hardly pull anything but the weight of a car on a tongue type anymore after pulling with a gooseneck. Have grossed around 40,000 with pickup before but that is to much! Good Luck