Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

hot shots?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot shots?

ok, a litlle background.....i'll make it short

lost my job, a friend had previousely mentioned getting a truck and doing hot shot loads, he said you can make good money doing it.

well here are my questions

will my truck be able to do this?
what will i need to get started?
do people use company trailers or their own trailers?
how do you start?

i may have access to a 5th wheel trailer, just wondering if its worth it?

thanks for the help in advance guys.

steve
Old 02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
DPG

upersleder,

Do a search here, there are several threads that address this very subject at length. To sum up, it takes quite an investment, and a lot of planning to do it right, like anything worthwile.

Good luck,

DeWain
Old 02-24-2005, 04:57 PM

did that, only got two hits on the real topic, i think i may go talk to the local RV place tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would depend if you are going to be an RV hauler or haul trailers for some kind of manufacturer or a cargo hauler ie "Hotshot".

If you are a cargo hauler, you're going to need your own trailer. If you are hauling RV trailers or some other kind of new trailer. They'll supply 'em, you haul 'em.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:36 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

We use hotshots more than we use commercial trucks. try a google search for Truckers Net (I think that is the service our warehouse use). Most of the hotshots use duallys with a slip tank and fifth wheel. I dont know what the legalities are tho, I just know they are expensive. but not as bad as hiring an outlaw.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 AM

Upersleder, Go ask the question at hotshothauling.com. I am sure someone over there can answer that question for you.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:59 AM

You can run hotshot without a trailer, that's how I started. The company I work for has 4 hotshots running just trucks. 1 half ton, 1 3/4 ton, 1 1ton, all pickup beds, and one 1 ton flatbed. With the right company you will run yourself to death. The one ton flatbed is a 2004, and has over 130,000 miles on it. I now pull a trailer and have over 198,000 miles on my 2003. If you decide to go into this with a franchise, (Ace, Acme, Venture, ect.) read the lease papers very closely.
I make my living doing this and you will spend a lot of time in your truck if you get with a busy company. If you just run hotshot, no trailer, it is easy on your truck, just a lot of miles, if you do what I do, a one ton is really not enough truck, I have enough power, but the rest of the truck can't take the constant pounding. Hopefully Dodge will have a 4500 or 5500 before I have to get another truck.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:51 AM

upersleder.

It sounds like there is oppertunity out there. Now I am retired and not sure where we will end up moving to, or what we will be doing with our 5th wheel that is still out there waiting for us.
Am going to have the BW convertable hitch installed the roll over ball or what ever it is called. Will do a gooseneck or a fiver. Just to keep options open.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:05 PM

Before you spend money on it, better check on an insurance package. You need 750,000 liab or 1,000,000 if you put hazardous on it. You will also need a CDL in most cases.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:35 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Steve, I've seen some big loads of hay going across the bridge. That might be one thing to look into. Maybe on your way down for the hay, you can bring a load of cedar posts to sell. There getting expensive at tractor supply. Cedar is light too. Just some thoughts til something more stable jumps out at ya.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Here in Kansas, we have a lot of agricultural use of pickups. I don't think a CDL is required unless you're driving for hire.

Edwin
Old 02-26-2005, 10:28 PM

i think i am going to texas this week or next to pick up a friends trailer, its a gooseneck, needs some work, i guess i'll see when i get there. i just let my CDL go too, didnt think i would be using it anymore, guess no job is secure anymore, have to keep all options in play, thanks for all the input guys, i have checked into all of it. THANKS AGAIN
Old 02-26-2005, 10:44 PM

Yeah, I was never going to drive again and gave it up. The Peachey State of Georgia didn't thing it was a good idea. I went around with them for a couple of months about a "CMV with no CDL" till I replaced it and got the ticket reduced to an equipment violation. Phew.... I still shudder when I see the blue "Georgia Truck Safety Enforcement" cars pass me.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:54 AM

The RV hauling places interest me a little. Seems like a good place to start out... you can figure out the ropes a little and not be fully obligated.

It's a little hard to figure out though...

Avg loaded miles per week: 2257
Gross Pay: $1965 (87 cents per mile)

Wonder how many unloaded miles that equals? 2257 doesn't mean much unless you know how many deadhead miles you're doin... My only guess is that it's probably in fact 2257*2.

On the plus side, you don't need to cover primary liability (only personal) or cargo (only comprehensive on your own truck). But you do need non-trucking liability (bob tail insurance?)

Stage 1- Primary coverage Primary coverage is defined as while the contractor is under a bill of lading, transporting the trailer to destination and or while the contractor is deadheading to another origin point or deadheading home. Horizon would be responsible for all liability in the event of an occurrence.

Stage 2- Commercial non trucking liability (Required by Contractor)

Non trucking liability coverage is defined as when a driver is logged back home until the time when the driver arrives at a new load origin point. The policy coverage minimum amount to carry of at least $500,000 would be required by the contractor at the time of initial lease date.

It is recommended that you inquire with your current insurance carrier for the rate structure and availability. In the event that the cost or option to acquire is prohibitive, Horizon does have a carrier that we refer contractors to by the name of Brown and Brown (please refer to Brown and Brown information on the driver qualifications slide)

They seem to say that non-trucking is only about $42/month. I'm not sure how your regular insurance company would handle you saying that you'll be racking up 150K miles per year delivering trailers but you don't need primary liability or cargo insurance... would would they classify you under and would the rates be reasonable or closer to those of full commercial insurance?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:58 AM

the thing that got me with the RV place is they required YOU to have and pay for everything. they have absolutly no responsibility at all. you have to give them $1000 up front to cover their deductible in case something happens and your insurance does not pay. seemed a little one sided to me.

Quick Reply: hot shots?