Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

hot shoting

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot shoting

does anyone here hot shot and if so what kind of equipment do you have.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 PM

Never heard of hot shoting! What is it?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM

hauling loads with a 1 ton and a trailer for money. in short
Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbworm20
hauling loads with a 1 ton and a trailer for money. in short
As in short on money...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I used to hot shot but like colo river ram stated......"short on money". Used to be very lucrative business but the economy shot that all to ****. I used my 3500 coupled with a 53' car hauler to haul cargo trailers across the country.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM

There are actually alot of companies that will pay hotshots to go to distributors to pickup material and bring it to a job site. It costs them less then paying thier workers to stop workingm drive across town to get material then go back to the job site, than it costs them to simply spend the 50 bucks or whatever the charge is to hotshot something. You won't make a fortune doing it, but it's money if your really hurting.

Unfortunately companies are not going to hire justa guy with a truck and trailer. When your talking about thousands of dollars in material, they want you to be bonded and insured so they can get thier money back if you break the material.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have never done it but from reading on here I think you also need a minimum of $1 million insurance coverage.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 AM

Been doing it 10 yrs now and get along fine and I'm home every day. Might try 2 find a established Co. that you can lease on with unless you have the capitol to get own authority, insurance, etc. Get a good customer base, take care of eqt. and there is $$ to be made. My cust. has slowed since it's roofing insulation and there isn't alot of new const. going on. I just hit the load boards and some other customers that I have. Like alot of things, if it was easy, more would be doing it.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM

thats kinda how i feel. I haul oil field tools so there is a little money to be made sometimes I just feel like I am going backwards because it seems like every time I turn the key my value goes down on my equipment.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use to run cars from MA to FL for 1k a car if I booked it and 500-750 if I went to a broker. I had 3 car apppalahian and my old 94 dually. So my average was always over 2k a run then try to get anything coming back. Those were usually 450-500 and drop at a broker in New England
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM

"Hot Shot" Equipment or material needed ASAP to complete or continue production despite the transportation costs. Modern " Hot Shotter" a person who will haul the freight as cheap or cheaper than class 8 LTL load when they get a chance with a light truck and or trailer. A lot of these loads are being hauled for "back haul" rates on below standard acceptable freight rates based on the smaller equipment costs. You want me to drag your crap up the side of a mountain to a drill rig in the middle of the night after calling and getting me out of bed........ "HOT SHOT" your going to pay. Not willing to pay the emergency rate, it aint no hot shot and I stay home. Call a freight hauler with a 3 ton flat deck they work cheap. The folks that do cut rate cheap freight light truck hauling are in the same class as cut rate pilot cars operated by retirees and house wives trying to pay for a new pickup they can't afford. They have limited knowledge of the job that is required, poor safety standards and cause more grief than is needed. Oil companies started "hot shots" and if they dont want to pay for premium service for special services leave it on the dock. Cut the rate, you cut your throat and everybody elses........wait thats what trucking companies have been doing for 50 years. Look at the high standard of living thay have managed to create for those who give it all for being dedicated to the "customer". Side note, lawyers love all of you in divorce cases, bankruptcies and collections of unpaid freight bills.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Heavy Loads Hot Shot

I have done good buying my own loads and selling and hauling it Are you ready for this ,1993 dodge stock single wheel' loading pipe on 25 ft goose neck and driving 500 miles grossing 26000 lb. running 70 mph automatic trans .payed $1250 On my 10th load//////THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by trainermg
I have done good buying my own loads and selling and hauling it Are you ready for this ,1993 dodge stock single wheel' loading pipe on 25 ft goose neck and driving 500 miles grossing 26000 lb. running 70 mph automatic trans .payed $1250 On my 10th load//////THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
AFTER EXENCES
Old 08-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Read the definition before knee jerk reaction posts please. Buying your own freight does not make you a "hot shotter" it makes you a supplier with equipment for delivery. If you are not comprimising other drivers ability to make a living trucking under a false guise and cut rates it does not apply to you. Hey but thanks for being awake, my post was to clarify what a "Hot Shotter" should be. Original "Hot Shot" trucks were paid by the hour due to unforseen delays and conditions and the ASAP conditions. $100.00 per hour, 4 hour minimum and return hours included in final bill.

Last edited by P Kennedy; 08-08-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Oh Sorry

Just to let you know i was just playing,Also looked in to the hot shot deal they wont pay enough to wear out your equitment is what i found out .OK i will not try to give you any ideas on how you can make money with your truck ,Again i am sorry i replyed to your post. have a good day SIR.

Quick Reply: hot shoting