Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck Newbie

Just picked up my new to me equipment trailer. It's an '05 Ridgeline flatbed, has a 24' flat deck (no beaver tail) and two 10K axles. I'm in the process of adding fun little details to it, like pallet fork tubes, spare tire bracket, chain tray, tool boxes, etc. Oh, and Cummins mudflaps. I'm using it to haul my bobcat and 4 or so attachments.

This is the first gooseneck I've ever pulled. Just hooking up to it was weird, compared to my pintle hitch. There's gonna be a learning curve with it, going around corners, making turns at intersections, backing down beside the shop, etc. I know I'm going to need bigger convex mirrors, the little spot mirrors aren't doing much for me, can't see the end of the trailer going around turns.

Any advice for a g/n newbie?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 AM

Make wider turns. Once you get used to it you'll wander why you didn't get one sooner.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:33 AM

Keep your ball greased and an eye to keep the tube bolts tight (mine have interchangeable 5th wheel sleeves).

Depending on what sort of rear bumper or protruding rear bumper hitch you might have (like a ball), watch that your electric line doesn't get hung up on the bumper when making turns.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks. I did notice the electric line, and pulled the pintle hook out. This thing is tricky man, I thought I could handle any trailer on the planet, but this gooseneck deal is gonna take some getting used to. I had my truck sideways in the driveway trying to back it down beside my shop, felt like a fool. Gonna take a while I guess. I do like the way it rides though, a lot smoother than my pintle trailer. It already sat down on the ball adapter and wouldn't let me unhook, I had to jack it up and re-tighten those lock bolts, I see what you mean. Also got to make a way to hook the break away cable in the bed that isn't attached to the hitch.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you get used to it you'll be able to slam it into spots you couldn't even attempt with a bumper pull. 5th wheel or GN is far superior for many reasons IMO.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Don't grease the ball it will attract dirt and rocks and make a hulva out of your ball and the coupler on your trailer. Look for some fifth wheel plate grease or something along that lines that wont attract sand.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Don't grease the ball it will attract dirt and rocks and make a hulva out of your ball and the coupler on your trailer. Look for some fifth wheel plate grease or something along that lines that wont attract sand.
Gotta agree... I used to grease the ball on my bumper pull and it would wear out the ball a lot faster because it would get sand trapped in it and grind the ball and coupler down... I used to have a ball that was shaped like an egg.

OG
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM
RAF

You where talking about hooking up. I don't know if you have the same set up. I have a tool box in the bed of the truck and can't see the ball to hook up. So what I do is leave the GN right at the point that it will just touch the ball. When I back up I use the center line of the rear slide window to line up the trailer. You can feel and see the trailer lift over the ball a sit back down. It took a little getting use to but beats getting in and out of the truck to see where the ball is.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

A simple old magnetic cb antenna works wonders for sticking it on the top of your ball and just simply knock it off...........
Old 06-07-2008, 04:17 PM

i have one of those cheapie $69 back up camers pointed at my trailer ball. it isnt the best but i can get dead on everytime w/o getting out to look. not to mention the man you are good comments when ppl dont realize i have the camera and just back up and hook from about any angle w/o looking backwards.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM

buy a cheap 4x8 convex mirror and strap it to the gooseneck, point it down towards the hitchso you can see when you are over the ball.Works everytime.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your towing a GN/Fiver the harness belongs in the bed ...part number is in sig

Buy one of these place it in front of the GN Ball line up on it when it starts to tip your there.. safe cheap and simple..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93950
Old 06-07-2008, 07:29 PM

Hooking up isn't too bad, I can see the ball thru the rear window. I really have to get some better wide angle side mirrors so I can see the back end of the trailer when I'm turning, it disappears. I'm starting to get the hang of backing it, once it starts to turn it goes faster and faster, just have to be careful of what the truck is gonna run into while I'm watching the trailer. The trees along my driveway are all scared.

Thanks for the link, I like that wiring setup. That would keep everything neat and out of harm's way.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tow mirrors...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...spagenameZWDVW

Do a search for the installation of these...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:43 PM
RAF

I have to get a set of those clamp on convex mirrors myself. I have those little stick on ones right now they do ok.

Quick Reply: Gooseneck Newbie