Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck hitches

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:Gooseneck hitches

Oh...but stirring the pot is what keeps this place fun and exciting. ;D No apology necessary.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for keeping this one under control.

Rich
Old 11-06-2003, 12:53 PM

You're welcome. Glad I could help. ;D
Old 11-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

??? So you're saying I shouldn't be using the one I made out of 2x4's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, come on now,,,,,,,,,, they're even pressure-treated and everything! :

Just kidding,,,,,,, ;D

I've got a Draw-Tite that Papa Smurf took out of his wife's truck when he switched hers to a B&W like the one in his truck. They gave it to me with all the instuctions and everything, I just haven't put it in yet. I need to get off my butt and do it. The fifth-wheel hitch I've got in the truck is a RBW Universal which doesn't offer a GN option. Sure wish it did and then I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the bed. However, it will be nice to have the GN hitch back there just in case I ever need one.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heck I just let the tailgate hold the gooseneck in the bed and throw a couple of 2x12's in ahead of it to keep it from sliding forward to far when I stop LMAO 8)
Old 11-06-2003, 04:21 PM

I just installed the B&W on my 2003 3500 DRW CTD

It's a beefy kit. I had a draw-tite remove-a-ball previously on my 2001 2500 which was stout as well... but it had a plate that sat above the bed a half inch. The B&W is flush with the bed and required less cutting of the bed itself.

Locally, cheapest I found was around $325 take out with a $100 additional for install at National Trailer... just off 183 near Tx Stadium. But I found a guy on Ebay that sells them all day for any model $250 plus $45 shipping.

Hoss, I'll PM ya.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:54 PM

Hello folks
The B&W hitch is NOT a FLIP UP BALL UNIT. It is a very stout unit that bolts to the frame and has a reciever that you set the B&W ball into and then a pin slides through the reciever and the ball to lock everything together. The bolts are Grade 8 bolts where to bolts up to the frame. If you break this system you either screwed up real bad on the install or you should of had a truck much bigger than our Ram to pull the load.

I like the B&W system because I can take the ball unit out and have all of my truck bed to hauld sheet rock or paneling or what ever I want to. Or I can put the ball in and pull a Goose neck trailer and I can buy the campanion 5er hitch that I can pull our camper down the road without a worry in the world.

I like the B&W system and I think I will be buying another one for a 2004 3500 4x4 with training wheels for my wife.

There is no way that I would weld a piece of steel to the frame bore a hole in it to fit a ball and call it a goose neck hitch. Not being a smart $$$ about it, but

Hope this helps.
See Ya
Chris
Old 11-06-2003, 09:05 PM

I have installed buy myself my Putnum Lock and Load gooseneck hitch. It is made of 1/2" plate with 3/4" grade 8 bolts. Here is a link to the website http://www.putnamhitch.com/Gooseneck/lockload.htm.

You can get a drop in (pull the ball) 5er adaptor to get the best of both worlds.
http://www.putnamhitch.com/Fifth%20Family/hawkover.htm
The gooseneck hitch is rated for 25k lbs and drop in is rated for 17k lbs. The frame will give way before the hitch will. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:04 AM

[quote author=Tow Monster link=board=11;threadid=21995;start=30#msg206795 date=1068173978]
Sorry hoss and smurf

But I didnt just put a peice of sheet metal under my truck bed and glue a 2 5/16 ball on it.

My hitch was put in by C&S Plating in Corpus Christi. The plates are all custom fit for any truck you got - Ford - Chevy- Dodge. The man is excellent at what he does and I would gladly put his up against any Beeni Weenie hitch.

And If I remeber right - he suggested the plate not anything else.

But I forgot - this is a tow haul forum and I know nothing about any of that type of stuff. sorry for the intrusion.
[/quote]

Wow how quickly this degrades...
"Beenie Weenie"? That's a very informative and useful comment.

Steel plate versions, when done with some engineering forethought can be a very stout and a safe application. However, to refer to a product you obviously know little about having compared it to the lower rated "flip-over" systems is of little use to anyone. The new Dodge frame owners will be leary of any drilling and/or welding in installing a hitch regardless of how anyone feels about doing so. B&W requires neither and has been tested heavily by many of us. It's a solid product that handles the weight rating.

On a structural note... it's not even worth the bandwidth to discuss the strength differences between a sheet of metal and the same or even smaller guage of formed metal. :
Old 11-07-2003, 09:11 AM

[quote author=Tow Monster link=board=11;threadid=21995;start=30#msg206795 date=1068173978]
Sorry hoss and smurf

But I didnt just put a peice of sheet metal under my truck bed and glue a 2 5/16 ball on it.[/quote]

I think you're the only one that implied such a thing.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Banned

I am very, very happy with my B&W Turnover Ball Hitch. It's construction leaves nothing to be disired. I have not seen very hitch available, but I have seen enough to think the B&W hitch is among the top 5%. There is no reason for anyone to build there own hitch, when one like B&W's is widely available and so reasonably priced. I have a Fab shop, and more then enough matterial laying around to build a simular hitch, but can not think of one reason why I would. There is nothing I would want to change. And It would cost me more to build it then it does to buy the thing. And lastly, I would not want the liability, shure I could build a safe hitch, but I would not have it designed by an engineer, nor would it be tested by a certified structual engineering firm. I short my butt would be in a sling if for any reason the truck was involved in an accident while pulling a trailer. Who needs it?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:49 PM

I am not knocking any hitches, but before b&w was even making the hitches they offer today there were gooseneck trailers. My family has been ranching for many years and have welded all the hicthes in. They are rated at 40,000 lbs. My point is there isn't a right or wrong it is preferance. Those of you who don't think it is ok to weld and prefer your bolt in hitch that is ok.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:51 PM

I picked up a goose neck plate at an auction and some 6" angle iron. I plan on bolting he angle iron to the sides of the frame using the existing holes, then bolt the plate on top of that. I'll be using grade 8 bolts. When I get started I'll post some pictures. ;D
Old 11-08-2003, 11:53 AM

This thread should be closed fast. Many of you people are not talking sense here : :-[

Quick Reply: Gooseneck hitches