Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Generator questions and sleep apnea.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generator questions and sleep apnea.

Hey guys. I have a dilemma. I want a generator for my travel trailer. I supposedly need a 3000w to run the AC. But just the sheer size of it scares me away. What I would like to do is buy 2 generators. A honda EU2000IC and a honda EU1000IC. Would I be able run the 2 generators and a hillbilly sort of wire connection to get my 3000w of power when I need it? The rest of the time I would probably just run the 1000 for a battery charge every now and then.

Question #2. I have sleep apnea and my sleepy time machine says 110v 400hz 2.5A I tried using a 400w power inverter and it blew the little breaker on the inverter as soon as I turned on the pump. There is a 12v power supply to it, but I do not have the 12v adapter. 12v 2.5A is what it says. What should I do to keep this bad boy running all night without packing in a big honking battery to bed with me and Mrs Swamp Donkey?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 PM

The 3k generators aren't too big or heavy. I have a cheap one from Checker Auto, and it works great! $300 new, I paid $150 used.

I think I've seen devices to run two Hondas together though. I would try the internet for more info.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think to run two Honda EU models together, they have to be the same model. I don't think you can run a 2000 parallel with a 1000 for example. And personally, I don't think 3000 is enough. It might get by, but I think running two 2000 models together would work great.

Personally, I don't think you can have to much power when you are talking generators. If I had the money i'd go buy a EU6500. Then you can run a/c, microwave, whatever and not worry about it. Your good to go. 3000 is questionable. I don't think that one big one running at half load will use any more power than two smaller ones.

My vote is buy the biggest, quietest one you can afford. (Honda EU6500). If you prefer the smaller ones....then get two EU2000s and the connecting cable to pair them up so at least you have 4K when needed.

I have a Honda EB5000 that runs like a champ. But a little noisy. I just hate to pay for the new quieter model when mine works great. But I wouldn't want any smaller than my 5K model.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
I think to run two Honda EU models together, they have to be the same model. I don't think you can run a 2000 parallel with a 1000 for example.
I believe this is true, I'd go with the 3,000 or two 2,000's. I like the quieter models myself, don't get one of those cheap noisy models, everyone at the campground will hate you.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM

I have a yamaha 3000ISEB with boost. works great nice and quiet. not to big to roll around. I dont have to shut off the ac if im using the microwave though.......no biggie
Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM

3,000 is not enough, you need at least 3500 running watts at all time and you'd still be struggling it to use the microwave at the same time. 4,000 is prime.

I bought one exactly like this in the link, it is a Champion brand. Its interchangeable with Honda parts, its much cheaper than a Honda. Mine has been running w/o skippin a beat for 3yrs now, and with our Skyline Weekender it puts plenty of juice in.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....6540/p898.html

Take note I paid $400 for mine from Tractor Supply. They stock smaller versions also. Its heavy, but wheel kits are available from Cabelas or any parts store. Runs 11 hrs consistently on 2 1/2 gallons of gas. In Texas Summer.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
Question #2. I have sleep apnea and my sleepy time machine says 110v 400hz 2.5A I tried using a 400w power inverter and it blew the little breaker on the inverter as soon as I turned on the pump. There is a 12v power supply to it, but I do not have the 12v adapter. 12v 2.5A is what it says. What should I do to keep this bad boy running all night without packing in a big honking battery to bed with me and Mrs Swamp Donkey?
400hz? Everything that I've looked at says 50/60 hz which is standard US/Canadian voltage. Since Watts = Volts X Amps, 120V X 2.5A should equal 300 watts so a 400 watt continuous inverter should handle it; however, not all inverters are created equal. My inexperienced guess is that the inverter isn't handling the start-up load of your sleepy time machine. Check to see what the inverter is rated for in start-up/peak watts.

Also check into what the 12V adaptor would cost. May be cheaper to just get that and wire a connection into your trailer battery for it.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
3,000 is not enough, you need at least 3500 running watts at all time and you'd still be struggling it to use the microwave at the same time. 4,000 is prime.

I bought one exactly like this in the link, it is a Champion brand. Its interchangeable with Honda parts, its much cheaper than a Honda. Mine has been running w/o skippin a beat for 3yrs now, and with our Skyline Weekender it puts plenty of juice in.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....6540/p898.html

Take note I paid $400 for mine from Tractor Supply. They stock smaller versions also. Its heavy, but wheel kits are available from Cabelas or any parts store. Runs 11 hrs consistently on 2 1/2 gallons of gas. In Texas Summer.
That's the same brand I have. Checker Auto or O'Riley (I think that's how it's spelled) have these. Mine works great too. It had wheels and a handle, but I removed both so I could store in the "generator compartment" of my 5th wheel.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My best friend tried to use one of them cheep inverters and his sleep machine wouldnt work . but I have a magnum 1000 inverter/charger in my 5er
and it works just fine. I just run an extention over to his trailer and he plugs in at night.
as for the generators Get the 2 hondas EU2000 if you dont need the power you only need to run 1 and the other camp sites will like it that your not running a LOUD cheepo unit and ruining ther time plus there light enough to pick up ....you get what you pay for .I have a Honda 3500 that I have been using since 1987 and it still starts first pull ,uses no oil and is QUITE!

change the oil every year at the least or 100 hrs and it will run forever
Old 07-15-2009, 01:17 PM

I love my cheapo, got amsoil in it and it came with the additional bolt on muffler. It is quieter than my friends Yamaha, and its enclosed. And I also use the generator for work all the time, its run constantly. Fires up 1st start. And its parts interchange with Honda, does that make the Honda an inferior design? And its made here in the usa. I don't think this cheapo is any worse than a good Honda unit. Maybe you ought to go to Champions website and read before you make an assumption.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu4voG1...equipment.com/
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
I supposedly need a 3000w to run the AC.

Question #2. 110v 400hz 2.5A ?
First if you ONLY want the gen set for the AC I'm pretty sure 2000W would be enough as it should run on 15amps. Second the 400HZ is big aircraft "stuff". The 110V plugs in the pax cabins are 110v 400HZ, I know if you run 50/60HZ motors on 400hz they don't last very long and soon burn out, I have no experience the other way around.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rip 112
I love my cheapo... And its made here in the usa.
Well, just to make things clear, they are NOT built in the USA. Per the Champion website; Champion Power Equipment was founded in 2003. We are a US owned and operated company with our own manufacturing facilities in the Zhejiang province of China. We stand head and shoulders above our competitors by our commitment to quality throughout the engineering, quality assurance, manufacturing and customer service processes.

Now, with that being said, I also have one of these units. A 3500 watt, and as stated previously, it is quieter than our comparable Honda unit. As far as reliability goes, I don't know yet. We have about 600 hours on it so far and have not had one problem with it. (I installed an hour meter before I even put gas in it)

We also have one of the cheap Chinese diesel generators on our fire safety trailer. It was sold to us as a 10,000 watt unit, but it says on it somewhere that it's only an 8000 watt constant, 9500 watt surge. Either way, it works pretty good at running 2 air conditioners, a huge vent fan, the audio-visual system, the smoke machine, (2000 watts alone!), 2 heated doors and all the lights. It works hard to keep up but it does it. (so far ). We'll see how good the longevity of that unit is too I suppose.

In our old fire safety trailer we have a 6500 watt Honda, 2 cylinder, liquid cooled generator. It's not running as much as our diesel generator, but we've had some problems with the generator part of the unit. The motor has always been fine but the power producing end leaves a little bit to be desired.

chaikwa.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Whoops, my err.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 PM

If you haven't all ready done so, hook the inverter as close to the battery as possible and run a regular extention cord from the inverter to the Cpap. I use a 700w inverter and it works great.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by DCDOC
If you haven't all ready done so, hook the inverter as close to the battery as possible and run a regular extention cord from the inverter to the Cpap. I use a 700w inverter and it works great.
Maybe that was my problem..... I used a 12v accessory extention cord and it probably was to light duty. Guess I will see what works this time before going on a camping trip.

As for the generator situation I might get the honda 3000 inverter one. Cheaper than 2 2000. I have been hooked into my brother-inlaws 3000 and it powered my AC just fine. I have had way to many frustrating experiences with products from china. In fact I am looking to replace my made in china generator that I have now that does not work so well with a good Japanese unit.

Quick Reply: Generator questions and sleep apnea.