Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Fuel Prices Keeping You Home?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats my feelings as well. Stay outa restaurants a few more times during the week and I will have enough cash to go 1000 miles. Lots of ways to adjust the budget, just really depends how important something is to you. I have just purchased another RV and looking forward to dragging it around this year. Been without for about 3 yrs while building a house and being busy with other stuff I thought was important.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by roadgeneral
Has the high price of fuel changed your camping habits any? I know I don't go as often or as far. My trip south to AZ last year cost me around $1500 in fuel. So I didn't go this year. Shorter trips are planned this year. Desided to get a part-time job a couple of days a week to help the SS check a little.

I wonder if in the long term high fuel prices will effect the RV industry in general? It certainly eliminates a lot of us on a fixed income. I don't know how much longer I will keep the trailer.
You might want to hang onto that trailer especially if it's already paid for,alot of us may end up having to live in them if these dang prices keep increasing and the wages remain the same.

I for one are/is the only income in my household, been that way since 2003 when my wife had a car wreck and she is not able to work due to injuries occured.Luckily all my junk is paid for along with my house but prices have increased so much and wages have not it takes all I bring home just for paying utilites and groceries, save alittle and fun is rare time anymore. Oh yes I do still have a teenager at home and a 25 year old that's married now that every so often may need a little help.

We use to camp all the time and the reason I bought my CTD was to up-grade to a larger 5th wheel trailer and I also wanted a diesel truck. Two months after I bought my 03 CTD the wife had the wreck and things have not been the same since.

As long as there are some that have the money is know object attitude,or in some cases the so call unlimited credit the economy is doing fine.

It sucks to me.

Tony
Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony T.
You might want to hang onto that trailer especially if it's already paid for,alot of us may end up having to live in them if these dang prices keep increasing and the wages remain the same.

I for one are/is the only income in my household, been that way since 2003 when my wife had a car wreck and she is not able to work due to injuries occured.Luckily all my junk is paid for along with my house but prices have increased so much and wages have not it takes all I bring home just for paying utilites and groceries, save alittle and fun is rare time anymore. Oh yes I do still have a teenager at home and a 25 year old that's married now that every so often may need a little help.

We use to camp all the time and the reason I bought my CTD was to up-grade to a larger 5th wheel trailer and I also wanted a diesel truck. Two months after I bought my 03 CTD the wife had the wreck and things have not been the same since.

As long as there are some that have the money is know object attitude,or in some cases the so call unlimited credit the economy is doing fine.

It sucks to me.

Tony
Sorry to hear about what happened to your wife. I had an accident in Oct that forced me to not work until a couple weeks ago (mine was my fault, playing on an atv), and believe me I am feeling the pain in both injury recovery and financial loss (income and med bills). But I will still say that for most people if a few hundred dollars would keep you from or not allow you to go on your vacation its likely you should not have been going at all.

I guess I am lucky in the sense my business lets me travel and get paid, I am on my way as I type to Florida to spend New Years Eve @ SeaWorld with my son. We are pulling a new TT to a dealer in Bartow, Fl to deliver in the am and then with the profit we will be able to goof off until Friday and head home although in the end I won't make any money I will have had a vacation that is mostly tax deductible.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
Sorry to hear about what happened to your wife. I had an accident in Oct that forced me to not work until a couple weeks ago (mine was my fault, playing on an atv), and believe me I am feeling the pain in both injury recovery and financial loss (income and med bills). But I will still say that for most people if a few hundred dollars would keep you from or not allow you to go on your vacation its likely you should not have been going at all.

I guess I am lucky in the sense my business lets me travel and get paid, I am on my way as I type to Florida to spend New Years Eve @ SeaWorld with my son. We are pulling a new TT to a dealer in Bartow, Fl to deliver in the am and then with the profit we will be able to goof off until Friday and head home although in the end I won't make any money I will have had a vacation that is mostly tax deductible.
Thank you for your reply towards my wife and back to you sorry for your mishap with the atv. So you did get a small taste of being possibly layed up and not being able to return work.

Yes! a few hundred dollars are crucial these days to many than it use to be and some will go ahead and borrow just to do a nice vacation (can't disapoint little Jimmy and Jane). I'm not that way debt makes me a mite nervous just like coffee made Carl nervous (Sling Blade).

There are lots of people successful in their own business and I have nothing but praise and thumbs up to them, but most people are to busy trying to earn a living to make any money.

Also to some businessmen out there remember how you got that money, it was usually through individuals interseted in your product. The cost of living goes up but the wages stay the same for us, something has got to give. I kinda like eating on a regular basis myself.

I'm telling you the people that are well to do and encourage higher prices of fuel and such some of the lower income are right on the edge of going under, what then you kill em throw the dying a$$ to the dogs or let's see here will we have to take care them now. I think we have problem with that now with illegal aliens. Everything needs to work in balance

I'm not hanging out at the bread lines or anything like that myself, but I'm sure not going into debt either if I can help it.

Have safe trip on your vacation and son visit.

P.S. haulin-rv: my post was not to degrade you in general in anyway, it's just for all society to realize. Over and Out!

Tony
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony T.
P.S. haulin-rv: my post was not to degrade you in general in anyway, it's just for all society to realize. Over and Out!
Didn't take it that way at all. And I am with you a 100%, if I don't have the cash I don't go either. As soon as I get back I will work my butt off, go into scrooge mode and save money so the wife, kids, and I can go on a vacation over spring break. The part that stinks is its getting harder and harder to do. Best wishes to you and your family. Have a safe and Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2008, 02:05 PM

I opted for a seasonal site about 45 mins from home to cut down on costs. We leave the 5th wheel there all year, so I have added a deck and a storage shed at the site. Now I don't have to book sites/ look for campgrounds that have openings etc. I probably spend as much money or more doing things this way but I save the aggravation of those friday afternoon drag races out of town pulling 10k of trailer.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by kenh8
I opted for a seasonal site about 45 mins from home to cut down on costs. We leave the 5th wheel there all year, so I have added a deck and a storage shed at the site. Now I don't have to book sites/ look for campgrounds that have openings etc. I probably spend as much money or more doing things this way but I save the aggravation of those friday afternoon drag races out of town pulling 10k of trailer.
This is a good idea. A short distance escape. I think this may be the way to go.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:13 PM

If I can afford the truck I can afford the fuel.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM

I too get disgusted when thinking about fuel prices. When I started driving in 1966 diesel was usually one third the price of gasoline. Why does it cost more than gas now? Perhaps because there are more diesel vehicles on the road?? I don't believe there's a shortage. I believe the only thing that dictates fuel prices is...GREED!

I try to keep a positive attitude and not let it affect my travel plans. But I find myself taking the RV out but making my trips closer to home. It still feels like I'm getting out but without the mega fuel cost.

I think people used to have the idea they would retire and travel a lot. With todays fuel prices maybe one should do the traveling while employed then sell the rig upon retirement when the income is less? At least you'll be able to say, (about rving) "Been there, done that!"

See ya on the road! (not too far from home!) Ha!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM

"As long as there are some that have the money is know object attitude,or in some cases the so call unlimited credit the economy is doing fine."

"It sucks to me."

Tony

WHAT HE SAID!

"I don't believe there's a shortage. I believe the only thing that dictates fuel prices is...GREED!"

HIM TOO!!!!

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger Tony, I am also the only income in my home with 2 small kids and to top it off I drive a truck for a living. Before diesel prices went up so much my boss used to give us cash bonuses pay for nearly anything we wanted pertaining to the trucks and most important I used to get a minimum pay for when a slow week came around I never had to worry about a really small check or falling behind on any bills. He always made sure to tell me "let me know if you need more" and never tried to take it out of my next bigger paycheck. I get paid by a % of what the load pays. Now with fuel up and rates down I'm not doin so good. He said he cannot keep giving me a minimum on slow weeks (I totally understand) now i'm working 6 or 7 days a week to make what I used to in 4 days and it's barely enough to pay all the bills "vacation" forget it. Not throwing a pitty party for myself just showing Tony he's not alone there are millions just like us or even worse off. I'm not exactly sure when but somethings gonna give! the truckers cannot keep taking the hit when fuel goes up even the cutthroats are gonna go broke! I've been looking a some diferent lines of work and it might have to come to that, but I love what I do I've been doing it for 12 years and cant stand the thought of doing anything else.

Sorry for the rant guys I cant afford a therapist

C Pierce
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM

We use our trucks for work in an area where most of the people have 2nd homes & want alot of work done, right now I,m just charging more to cover my fuel costs, so the price of fuel won't stop us from driving
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by C Pierce
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger Tony, I am also the only income in my home with 2 small kids and to top it off I drive a truck for a living. Before diesel prices went up so much my boss used to give us cash bonuses pay for nearly anything we wanted pertaining to the trucks and most important I used to get a minimum pay for when a slow week came around I never had to worry about a really small check or falling behind on any bills. He always made sure to tell me "let me know if you need more" and never tried to take it out of my next bigger paycheck. I get paid by a % of what the load pays. Now with fuel up and rates down I'm not doin so good. He said he cannot keep giving me a minimum on slow weeks (I totally understand) now i'm working 6 or 7 days a week to make what I used to in 4 days and it's barely enough to pay all the bills "vacation" forget it. Not throwing a pitty party for myself just showing Tony he's not alone there are millions just like us or even worse off. I'm not exactly sure when but somethings gonna give! the truckers cannot keep taking the hit when fuel goes up even the cutthroats are gonna go broke! I've been looking a some diferent lines of work and it might have to come to that, but I love what I do I've been doing it for 12 years and cant stand the thought of doing anything else.

Sorry for the rant guys I cant afford a therapist

C Pierce
I'm with you Bro! It's getting harder and harder to make a living for the average Joe. It generally takes two incomes and lots of overtime to make ends meet. Tony and I agree that there are those that will say that money is no object. Money has always come hard for me. I have taken a part-time job to put some money away for traveling and a few goodies for the truck. Retirement is not what I had planned. At least I have my health. Keep diggin', Buddy and good luck.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm debating whether or not I should keep my truck and buy a small econobeater, or sell my truck and buy a nicer econobeater and pocket the change.

For now, I just cut back my trips to the music store to drool more over guitars that are way more than I can presently afford.

I'm trusting that my job situation irons out soon and I can actually start to spend a little cash. You tend to get pretty tight-fisted when you're just living off savings

Justin
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

i'm lookin for help, you any good at baseboard or putting hardware on?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:14 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

If You Read Back Through The Thread You Will See A Mirror Immage Of What Is In The News Daily- It Is Not Declaired , How Ever We Are In A Serious Reshision -almost To The Point Of Spelling It Witha -d-.this Not A Polidical Statement -neather Party Is Willing To Admit How Bad A Shape We`r In !
I Defanatelly Feel Sorry For Those Working And Just Making Ends Meet And The Ones That Can`t- And For Those Of Us On A Fixed Income We`ll(we`r Fixed)
My Only Sugestion Is What I Do Keep My Trips A Little Shorter And Boomdock When Ever You Can > That Helps Buy A Lot Of Fuel !
Good Luck -and Hope The Creek Don`t Rise
Claude

Quick Reply: Fuel Prices Keeping You Home?