Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Forest River vs. Desert Fox--Any Advise?

Old 08-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forest River vs. Desert Fox--Any Advise?

Need a little help from those in the know.

The better half and I have decided we need a new RV. We have done a lot of looking and have narrowed our choices down to two finalist.

UNIT A: Sierra Sport 38.5' toy hauler with an enclosed 12' garage.

UNIT B: Desert Fox 37.5' toy hauler with an enclosed 14' garage.

The Sierra Sport (Forest River) product is very nice inside and is the one Kelly (better half) is leaning towards. It has a larger gen, two A/C units and more storage.

The Desert Fox appears to have a nicer fit and finish right out of the box. It also has triple axles, which I've heard will lend itself to frequent blow outs of the last two tires due to skidding when making turns. It also has a higher GCVW, allowing me to get way over weight.

When I was leaving the Desert Fox dealership the salesman just started trashing Forest River products. I would normally take that as a hint to buy anything other than what that salesman was selling but when making a 40K decision I thought I would ask you guys for a little help.

Does anyone have either product?

Can you let me know how they have held up?

I am aware that this is a depreciating purchase but am curious about resale. We are going into Dune season here in the next couple of months so all the used units have a high asking price. We had our last trailer 27' TT for six years and the intention is to keep the new one for at least ten.

Thanks to all, sorry this post went so long....
tom
[babble]<-----------insert new "babbleing" smiley here
Old 08-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Hey Tom did i see you coming down 67th last night at 12am pullin something? We were coming home from the Harkins theater. Maybe it was someone else. We are actually heading back to NJ in just 1 week so somehow we missed each other living only a few block away

I did not know about your quad getting stolen... that really sucks. At least it wasn't the truck with it I guess. Any theft insurance on that sort of thing?

I don't know anything about toy haulers but are these big trailers 5th wheels or tags still at that length?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:14 PM

Maybe it was just the ones I looked at but all the Forest River fivers I looked at when I was shopping were in poor condition (including one that had terrible dry rot in the ramp and box area) I've heard good things about Desert Fox. I would go to a dedicated RV forum to get a larger sample cause it's a lot of $$$
Personaly I like http://www.woodalls.com/forums/index.cfm/CFB/1.cfm
and http://irv2.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=8076099152 which has a dedicated toybox forum
Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
weekend warrior is the best for durability and resale. did months of research and we ended up with a weekend warrior and 4 of our friends did the same and we are all very happy with our descission. desert fox is nice but we weren't impressed with the fit and finish on ant of them. if price ain't no big deal then the gearbox's are the best but they are also really heavy.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Chapter President

DSjockey, thanks for the links. My eyes are now dry as Sahara sand from all the info.

We went to the WW dealer today, very nice units but the wife really wants a garage model. I am asking her to keep an open mind, the garden shower in the WW helps!!!!

How do you like your KZ? I'm going to that dealer tomorrow.

Just what I need, more choices.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM

We just bought a Sierra 29 Sport a couple months ago. We looked at just about everything out there, and decided it offered the best 'Bang for the Buck.' We've only been out twice, but have had no problems, and it pulls nice. Weekend Warriors are pretty nice, but I couldn't justify the $10k price difference for comparable models. KZ is also supposed to be a very good brand, but are not offered locally, and easy customer support was a factor for me. The one I liked best was the Adrenaline, but it too was a little rich for my blood.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM

I was about to buy a gear box till I got on a rv forum and found out about allot of the fiberglass seperation problems they were having. I don't particulary care for triple axles, seen way to many with one axle chained up to get home. The weekend warrior does seem to be the way to go.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM

I bought a 32 FT sandpipper & it has been troule free for 2 years.
If you go to any big trailer manufacturers you will see that they are a lot like Boat builders,
" A trailer is a trailer and just hope the one you buy was built on a GOOD day "
Old 08-22-2005, 08:29 PM

If you are considering a Fleetwood Gearbox PLEASE read this thread first. Tfeore I like the KZ although I just got it last year so time will tell, i am encouraged though as I haven't found many complaints about the KZ's online, and if folks are having trouble with a brand you can usualy find out about it online
Old 08-24-2005, 07:13 PM

Tfeore, I have a 32 ft. F.R. Salem, triple slide out..no problems ..tows great, it has two axle's. All the people I've talked to in the RV end, say a triple axle trailer is to heavy for us with the 3500 Dodge, to safely tow. Your 4x4 might be different..Good luck with your purchase any way you go...