Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Florida Trip: Great Performance/Dissappointing Milage

Old 06-27-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Trip: Great Performance/Dissappointing Milage

Diesel Gods,<br> Took a trip from Illinois to Florida and back pulling my 2002 Jayco Eagle 266 last week. The camper weights 6200 dry weight. The pulling performance throught the mountains was awsome! ;D That baby climed throught the hills and mountains of TN and GA without a problem. 8) I locked it on 65mph and never slowed down once. The temp was just over 190 all the way. The milage was only 9 to 10 mpg. :'( Without pulling anything, I get arount 17 to 18mpg. During the trip, I noticed that the truck would pull to each side from time to time without wind or anyone passing me. ??? Also, on one occasion a tractor trailer passed by and nearly sucked me into his truck. It was too close for comfort. I'm used to that happening, but he was flying past me. Maybe I need a front end wheel allignment? Of course I do have a sway bars and a sway bar control as far as my hitching to help cut down on such things. Does anyone else have such things happen to them? ??? Overall, happy with the truck's performance. Later. 8)
Old 06-27-2003, 10:03 AM

Re:Florida Trip: Great Performance/Dissappointing Milage

A few ideas on the sway issue:<br>Make sure you have enough tounge weight.<br>Make sure the truck and camper tires are inflated correctly.<br><br>i habe found on the 99 qc 4x4 that with a load in the bed and a 3500 lb camper the tp for the truck works well at 60 front and 75 rear i keep about 550 pounds of tounge weight.<br>The truck light load-empty i like to run 72 front 60 rear, this is on Mich 245/75/16 E or 235/85/16 E.<br>hope this helps.<br>
Old 06-27-2003, 11:50 AM

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=11;threadid=16428;start=0#154078 date=1056728879]

There's a PRICE to be paid ... That option can usually be expected to cost you around 2 MPG - ALL the time, empty or loaded...[/quote]

2 mpg loss? * That 2mpg won't pull my boat up a slippery ramp.

The biggest variable in fuel mileage is driving habits.

[Edited by Moderator]

My apologies Moderator.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=dsldan link=board=11;threadid=16428;start=0#154065 date=1056726197]<br>A few ideas on the sway issue:<br>Make sure you have enough tounge weight.<br>Make sure the truck and camper tires are inflated correctly.<br><br>i habe found on the 99 qc 4x4 that with a load in the bed and a 3500 lb camper the tp for the truck works well at 60 front and 75 rear i keep about 550 pounds of tounge weight.<br>The truck light load-empty i like to run 72 front 60 rear, this is on Mich 245/75/16 E or 235/85/16 E.<br>hope this helps.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>For sway control run the max pressure in the rear tires. Any less increases sway.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:48 PM

Gary, I drove one of my gf's Honda Civic on a trip, and it got 40mpg. Its got lots less mass than even your 2WD truck, so I do buy into your theory. Its been proven time and time again. Thats a no-brainer. Heck, I've probably even shown it mathematically before using a 2nd order diff-Eq. <br><br>I also think that the mileage Jonsey reported on his trip was low too, even for a 4x4. He did say he that overall he was happy with the truck. But then again, its an older 2nd Gen with an auto and I can only compare that performance to my newer 3rd Gen HO with a stick shift. I get higher mpg than that pulling a heavier load. Thats why I mentioned driving habits. I'm happy with my mileage, and its certainly LOTS better than my boat running full tilt - and I've got NO complaints in that department either. You should see all the folks waving at us from the shore that drove there in thier 2WD vehicles. It sure looks like lots of them would like to be out there with us burning that gas. Envious maybe?<br><br>Kind of like your 2WD crusade? Why do you even care if its 4x4? Yup, let it go.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations Jones0027!
Im glad your happy with the pulling power of your truck. Thats what these diesels are all about.

Your mileage does seem a bit low, but I am not able to address this from any personal experience for I have never towed anything besides a U-Haul trailer. :

Now, to all the others, this will not become a 4x4 vs 2x4 battle.
4x4's do not get the same kind of MPG's as a 2x4 and there is a time and place for both.
If you have facts and or information that is relevant, state them.
If you have opinions that will only cause controversy, leave them out of this or this thread will be locked down.

Thanks
Rich.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mileage is about right for the miles per hour you were running. My truck pulling at 63 or less will show about 11-12.<br>Anything over 63 is 10mpg all the way up to 70mph. Above 70 its down more. I left Melbourne Fl on the 23rd of April towed to Galveston and from there to Duluth MN, were I'm at now. <br>Headed for Havard, Mass. from here on the 7th of July and then back to Melbourne, Fl. I've been keeping real good records on the fuel mileage. Slower is better for mileage as mentioned above. <br><br>There was a post some time ago that basically said, it don't matter want you tow, its how fast you tow it. <br><br>Dave
Old 06-27-2003, 07:09 PM

Well, I don't kow about the 24v, but towing about the same weight, with a dually, I consistently get between 14 and 15 mpg on the going and coming from FL. trip.<br>My last check was coming out of Ga to Wva up 26 81?. I the trip is uphill all the way, and I got 14.5. <br><br>Mileage is better going south and on I-75<br><br>I drive between 70-75. <br>The dually doesn't sway at all.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:10 PM

A good set of sway bars will definately help with the wandering. My 1/2 ton used to get sucked into the draft of semi's even with the sway bars but the one ton dually doesn't. <br><br> I don't remember the mileage I got while towing but I get close to 20 on the highway empty even though it is a 4x4. I am pretty happy with that kind of mileage out of a truck.<br><br>PISTOL
Old 06-27-2003, 10:16 PM

Very familiar with the sway from semi slipstream. I actually got to where I could anticipate it and steer a little ahead of time and make the rig stay straight as an arrow! Tall tires and high suspension. I figure it's gonna happen some no matter what I do.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:01 PM

Jones0027 are you calculating the fuel milage as per filling yourself to the same level and mathematically figuring it out or are you relying on the overhead computor? Cruise Control while towing in hilly/mountainous areas will decrease MPG as it will fuel to set speed vs pulling feel like you can do. 6200lbs dry usually equates to 8000+ loaded doubling the total weight of unit, shape of trailer and wind direction also play into the equation. Use another trip loaded to compare and be aware of conditions and variables. PK
Old 06-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Administrator

[quote author=P Kennedy link=board=11;threadid=16428;start=0#154481 date=1056834095]<br>Jones0027 are you calculating the fuel milage as per filling yourself to the same level and mathematically figuring it out or are you relying on the overhead computor? [/quote]<br><br>When you fill it, the only way to get it to the same level is fill it till the pump stops, let the foam die down, fill some more, more foam, more fill, etc, till you see the actual level in the neck.<br><br>Filling up from one place to another you can't rely on the automatic pump kick off, due to each place foaming different.<br><br><br>phox

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Florida Trip: Great Performance/Dissappointing Milage