Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

First towing trip; a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First towing trip; a few questions

Folks,
Just got through with my first real tow with the CTD. I haul at 18' car trailer with a car on it. Total towed weight is right around 6000#. I had another 800# of gear in the bed. This is about the heaviest load I'll ever tow.

I was pretty disappointed with the lack of performance from this rig. She really struggles to get up to speed, or maintain speed on inclines. It makes me wonder how it's possibly for you folks to tow heavy, because it certainly didn't feel like my truck could pull anything heavy.

I come from towing this same setup with a 2004 BMW X5 4.4 (v8), with a 6spd automatic. That thing will drag this rig around easily, and with lots of power and brakes to spare. Sadly, the BMW is hugely unreliable, and has been in the shop for over 2 months, and they can't find the problem. It will find a new home when they do.

Meanwhile, I really expected the CTD to do a heck of a lot better towing, especially with being able to maintain highway speeds.

So - a few questions.

1) what speed do you normally cruise at on the highway - speed limits here are 65 or 70mph

2) what can I do to increase towing performance

3) Do you tow in OD (auto)?

I'm relatively happy with the truck, but, as it's primary purpose is towing, this is going to have to be addressed, or I'm going to have to find a new tow rig.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tow 10K at 75 in the flats and set cruise with OD on and just go. I can also kick it down a gear and maintain 55 up a 6 or 7% grade. I have a newer truck but you should still be able to do better then what you are indicating.

First get some gauges so you know what is going on, fuel pressure, EGT and boost. Then from there you can give engine performance numbers relative to your actions and guys can tell you what they have done to correct for the issues.

Are the air and fuel filters clean? Do you blow any white smoke?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a 12V, so stock a little bit less power than you, and I felt the same way with the stock power, pulling roughly same weight. For me adding a "mystery switch" with the auto, to lock the torque converter in 2nd-4th gears manually with a shift kit and valve body upgrades. Really helped put power to the ground, and then after upping power a little bit I had no problems accelerating up an 1 mile 11% grade in Vermont with almost 8k lbs.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Okay. So it sounds like I need a few mods to bring the power up some, and a decent transmission. All are in the works, just waiting on some funds to appear. Gauges are in the garage, need to get them installed... in time....
Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

What your lacking is horsepower. Your CTD has plenty of torque to pull most of anything you want but its not designed to run 80 mph up a mountain or take off the like a race car. Horsepower is what makes you go fast and torque is what gets it moving.

Get yourself a good programmer or chip to get those horses up.. Combine that with the torque of the Cummins and you'll have yourself a towing beast
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 AM

My 01 has lots of torque, and will pull circles around my 04 ( both with standered trans.) I usually am pulling around 15K or greater. My wifes 05 with a auto dose a great job, ( I only use it when mine are down , Twice I think ) I agree that a chip and a tranny upgrade will make you alot happier.....
Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 AM

It does have a lot of torque, and in 3rd gear, I feel like it would pull most any grade without dropping below 50mph. I'm just used to a tow vehicle that would *never* drop speed, on any grade. It might not accelerate up a 15% grade, but be damned if she wasn't going to maintain speed. So this not being able to maintain speed once there is quite baffling to me, as I figured the torque here would have the ability to do so.

I"ll see about getting my gauges installed this week, and luckily, I don't have another tow trip until November, and my daily driver is back up and running, so I've got some time to get the truck sorted out.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 AM

You have to remember you basically run out of power at 80mph when towing. That said, don't notice a huge difference in acceleration when I hook to my gooseneck empty. I have a manual which may allow to control it better, I also get pretty good mileage which is important to me, empty I get 20-22, with just the gooseneck(6k) I get about 17, loaded(10k total) I get about 15 , I get about 16 in town.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

ive hauled 16,000lb loads with my 99,all i have is an edge chip and a staight pipe out the back,and a rebuilt tranny,people look at you funny when you are passing them if you know what i mean.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2000 3500 with a NV5600 (6 speed Manual, 3.55 gears) pulled my current fiver at 9 mpg in stock format. (235hp) Added a programer and 40hp. Mileage when up to 10.

Suggestions; install 275hp injectors or use a programer to get the HP. Change the rear to 3:73 or 4:10 if your really going to tow something. Transmission up grades needed as well. Triple lock TQ, and Valve body. Make it so it will lock up in third gear, and forth. That way you can run in third locked up and eliminate a lot of heat in the tranny. What I just described will be about 3 grand.

Otherwise start with the VP-44 and Lift pump and make sure they are not the problem.

My current truck with same trailer described below hooked up is 22,880lbs. I pull in 4th, at 65 mph with the Edge Juice/Attitude on the #2 setting (Tow) 365hp and 730ft/lbs torque. With the cruise on never leaves 65 mph and never downshifts. On I-81 from Roanoke to Harrisburg, I was impressed. EGT's 1100 or lower.

Dave
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 PM

I pull a 14,000 LB fifthwheel with my my 1999 3500. This year alone I have I have towed from Puerto Vallarta Mexico to Washington DC and then back to Newport Beach California. My dually has never disappointed me and pulls like crazy as long as you keep the RPMs up when climbing (turn off OD). On the flats (OD on) I average 65-70 MPH.
Worst MPG I have had this year was 12.2 and I averaged 14.2 through must of this trip towing. I have a few mods as shown by my my signature. The Co-Pilot made the biggest difference because it allows me to select lockup and unlock of my TC when climbing.

Tony
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by ncsucarjock88
It does have a lot of torque, and in 3rd gear, I feel like it would pull most any grade without dropping below 50mph. I'm just used to a tow vehicle that would *never* drop speed, on any grade. It might not accelerate up a 15% grade, but be damned if she wasn't going to maintain speed. So this not being able to maintain speed once there is quite baffling to me, as I figured the torque here would have the ability to do so.

I"ll see about getting my gauges installed this week, and luckily, I don't have another tow trip until November, and my daily driver is back up and running, so I've got some time to get the truck sorted out.
Something dont sound right.. I can pull 75mph up Jerico Mtn. with a 12,000 lbs fiver and never drop out of overdrive.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I was going to say I can pass cars going up hill towing my 5th wheel (light at 7k) in OD. But I have a bit more power than your 2001.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I pull an 8000# 5'er AND a 20 foot pontoon boat and pass people all day. I vote for something is wrong with the truck or the driving habits somehow.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It does sound a bit weak compared to what I experienced with my 2 gen trucks.
Try taking a deep socket 7/16" and tighten up all the clamps on the intercooler boots/hoses. All my 2 gens pulled heavy and all had the 354/355 gears.
Add a set of RV 275 injectors, Edge EZ and find out what your fuel pressures are doing. You may need a better lift pump too. Not big money for a good result. Once you go past the above combination you start putting your turbo out of its efficiency range.
Gauges help to monitor when to down shift on a hill too. Keeps you in the sweet spot for rpm.

Scotty

Quick Reply: First towing trip; a few questions