Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Firestone Ride-Rite and ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone Ride-Rite and ????

I am getting a set of Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags to install on my truck and am trying to figure out the best way to go about controls, compressor, and air tank. We are trying to get this put together the cheapest way possible as we just dumped a bunch of money into building a new flatbed... any ideas out there? We would like to have dual controls for the airbags but don't want to pay the $300 for the Firestone brand... and also need recommendations on the best place to buy a compressor and tank...

THANKS!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 PM

I would imagine that you could put together your own system of valves/hoses/gauges. Any air tank/compressor with the proper ratings would work.

As for me, I keep em at 10 and air them up with a PepBoys compressor when I am towing. This would be a pain if I was towing something different everyday. Airing from the driver's seat sure is nice.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good choice - I love my Firestone airbags.

Just buy the 5K# bags, install them (run the dual lines to the receiver/hitch plate) and use an inexpensive 12V/rechargeable compressor to adjust them - there's very little volume in those systems.

Doing this, you could have them working for less than $300, including parts, shipping, taxes and beer.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a little cheapie 12v that works great. I also bought an adapter so I can plug it in to the tralier plug and not have to have a long cord to reach the back.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 PM

yea i do the same just carry small compressor that plugs into the lighter and fill them up depending on what im pulling..
Old 11-09-2006, 07:19 AM

I have had rear bags on my trucks for the last 15 years and I just go to the local slavage yard and get the compressor from a GM that had air ride controls. I use one for each side, takes about twenty seconds to air up and they have the neat feature of a buit-in solenoid so with two on-off-on switches you can air-up air-down or hold any in between. Compressors are mounted in a custom sheet metal box inside of frame rail under the drivers side. Custom mounting brackets so no frame drilling. Relay up front near battery to handle the power supply and wires ran back inside of plastic tubing inside of frame rail (I know I'm paranoid about damage to wiring from rocks, sticks, snowdrifts and what-ever)
I use a dual needle gauge on 1/8 tubing and 1/4 tubing from compressors to bags all with "push fittings". This type of arrangement has worked well for years on two different rigs and I can quickly go from "empty road ride" to 5,000 lbs. of gravel, blocks or??
Old 11-12-2006, 01:27 AM

I just installed mine, ran the hoses to the back and mounted the air valve in the bottom holes of my license plate. 10psi gives 2" lift empty, 30psi gives about 4.5" empty and I just adjust my bags at any gas station or at home with a tire guage when I'm loaded. I keep 10 psi at all times and it rides fine.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With 2K# in the bed, the rear lifts about half as much at those pressures...
Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 PM

I used the fill/drain valves for the air ride seats. I just mounted them on the knee pad in front of my right knee. I put a single guage for tank pressure and a dual gauge for front and back bag pressures mounted low on the centre part of the lower dash.I found a 12v compressor locally and a added a pressure switchand mounted them on the left fender, and an on/off switch inside. The tanks are pretty cheap i think i paid $45 for a 3 gal that i mounted on the inside of the frame under the driver side below the extra cab.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:52 PM

I went with the Firestone air system II $189 to your door.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by AlCorr
I went with the Firestone air system II $189 to your door.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...tion/to=r.html
good tip!!I WAS GONNA BUY THESE TODAY BUT IT'S OVER $800.00
WHAT A SAVINGS THANKS!! thats for the whole kit bags , comp, switches
Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Ride-Rites

I just use a bicycle pump with mine. I can jack 'em up to 80psi with the camper mounted in about 15-20 pumps. No problem.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:15 AM

I installed the air bags only at first and used a small air pump. Found myself always adjusting the air so went for the air kit, $189. Now I can adjust the air up or down depending on the road condition. The best thing that I found was when pulling into a campground I add about 100lbs of air. Pull into my camp site, drop the front landing legs to the 5er, hit the landing leg switch just enough to take the weight, then open the trucks door and hit the release button on the dash and thats it. Should see other people when they see you releasing the air.

On a side note: I took my ask tray out and installed the air guage panel there.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Man we are getting raped up here in Canada for the on board air systems, they want $400 for the small set up and almost $600 for the bigger one,that's why i built my own for $250.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Good choice - I love my Firestone airbags.

Just buy the 5K# bags, install them (run the dual lines to the receiver/hitch plate) and use an inexpensive 12V/rechargeable compressor to adjust them - there's very little volume in those systems.

Doing this, you could have them working for less than $300, including parts, shipping, taxes and beer.
Are those bags 5000lbs per bag or 5000lbs for the set?

Quick Reply: Firestone Ride-Rite and ????