Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Firestone Airbag question & Bilstein shock question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Firestone Airbag question & Bilstein shock question

Doing some research, I have found that Firestone Airbag kit for my 99 2500 Diesel is Firestone #2071 (correct me if I am wrong?)

1. Is this correct for my truck
2. Does this require drilling or is is direct bolt on?
3. Has anyone installed this that can give me feedback or direct me to installation links?

I am capable of doing the work, I just like to research as best I can beforehand to learn tips and tricks, and avoid problems.

As for shocks, I was considering going with the Bilstein 5100's. Anyone have experience with these? Rear is stock height, front has 2" Leveling kit.

I use the truck to tow a 7000# trailer, usually loaded with a mid-size SUV or a 3000lb Race car.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM

I just removed my air lift 5000# bags today. Hated them. They worked great w my lance truck camper when loaded and pulling out 24 ft boat. But empty the ride was horrible, harsh and down right nasty. I complained for about a year and finally crawled under today.. removed them. Air lift requires 10 lbs min. but its too much. ran them at 0 still rough.. took them out.. rides good again. After I removed them I realized I could have just taken out the valve cores and if I ever needed them it would have been a simple issue. Seems like there is no give in the suspension even at zero psi.. they did great when loaded.. but turns out that was rare and wasn't worth the ride. I might consider helper springs or bump stops in the future or might re install the bags and just leave the valve cores out until I need them.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM

I just removed my air lift 5000# bags today. Hated them. They worked great w my lance truck camper when loaded and pulling our 24 ft boat. But empty the ride was horrible, harsh and down right nasty. I complained for about a year and finally crawled under today.. removed them. Air lift requires 10 lbs min. but its too much. ran them at 0 still rough.. took them out.. rides good again. After I removed them I realized I could have just taken out the valve cores and if I ever needed them it would have been a simple issue. Seems like there is no give in the suspension even at zero psi.. they did great when loaded.. but turns out that was rare and wasn't worth the ride. I might consider helper springs or bump stops in the future or might re install the bags and just leave the valve cores out until I need them. The install was pretty simple and required only to drill holes for the air valves.. I did look around and the firestone and air lift seemed like the same kit.. not sure for a 99 but assume its the same as my 04
Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

My truck isn't daily driven, it pretty much spends all its time attached to a car trailer or hauling things. Harsh ride isn't as much of a concern, it's not a Lexus
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have both and don't have a problem at all, I run 5 lbs in the airbags empty, my hitch weight on my 5th wheel is close to 2500 lbs and I use 25 lbs then and she doesn't even move, the shocks are really nice.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jaybone
I just removed my air lift 5000# bags today. Hated them. They worked great w my lance truck camper when loaded and pulling out 24 ft boat. But empty the ride was horrible, harsh and down right nasty. I complained for about a year and finally crawled under today.. removed them. Air lift requires 10 lbs min. but its too much. ran them at 0 still rough.. took them out.. rides good again. After I removed them I realized I could have just taken out the valve cores and if I ever needed them it would have been a simple issue. Seems like there is no give in the suspension even at zero psi.. they did great when loaded.. but turns out that was rare and wasn't worth the ride. I might consider helper springs or bump stops in the future or might re install the bags and just leave the valve cores out until I need them.
I am confused. With the air bags at zero inflation wouldn't the truck ride the same as with no air bags installed?

I have the bags in question in my 05 dually. I run 7 lbs in each when empty & 18 lbs in each when I latch onto the 26' enclosed car trailer. When I had my camper another 15-20lbs was the ticket. When I haul heavy loads of building materials or engines I air up as needed.They install easy & work great. Try installing your air valves in your rear licence plate holder holes. That is where mine are & works great.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM

Even at zero pressure it still rode rough since the bag is sorta stiff and doesn't compress.. it does compress easily on the bench with the lines removed .. Ive heard others say they have no issues with 5-10 lbs when empty.. but that might be the difference between firestone and air lift. I just wanted a smooth ride when empty since that has been most of my driving lately.. then forgot I ditched my stock bump stops to install the air bag brackets.. so guess they will be going back on anyway.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Starter Sponsor

jaybone, sorry you had a bad experience with your Air Lift setup. We just recommend 5psi in our standard kits. With the Ultimate kits, you could run 0psi in them since they have an internal bumpstop. I wonder why there was such a rough ride in your instance.

DeathCougar, here's a link to a couple kits that would work for your application: http://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicl...0-pickup/1999/
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Doing some research, I have found that Firestone Airbag kit for my 99 2500 Diesel is Firestone #2071 (correct me if I am wrong?)

1. Is this correct for my truck
2. Does this require drilling or is is direct bolt on?
3. Has anyone installed this that can give me feedback or direct me to installation links?

I am capable of doing the work, I just like to research as best I can beforehand to learn tips and tricks, and avoid problems.

As for shocks, I was considering going with the Bilstein 5100's. Anyone have experience with these? Rear is stock height, front has 2" Leveling kit.

I use the truck to tow a 7000# trailer, usually loaded with a mid-size SUV or a 3000lb Race car.

Thanks!
According to the etrailer site the 2071 is correct for a 99 4x4. My set was a no drill installation but it does not say for your model so I'd ask the selling dealer the question.
I tow a 14000 lb camper and usually run 20 lbs in the bags they really increased the stability of the truck while towing.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the OP,

I have an '04 3500.

I have bilstein 5100's and you can't go wrong. For the price they are the best shock out there. Now if you want to pop for King's or Fox's, they'll be a little better but beware the sticker shock.

Info below you didn't ask but kind of came up anyway:

I have the Air lift kit- run 5 psi empty and barely notice the difference if any at all. I have about 2200# in the bed with the 5er. I run about 21k GVW. It is nice to be level when towing.

For ride quality, I installed sulastic shackles. There is nothing I have experienced that changes the ride out back for the better than those. It's a huge difference on the sharp bumps and takes out the choppiness of the stock suspension. There are no negatives to them at all that I have found.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
jaybone, sorry you had a bad experience with your Air Lift setup. We just recommend 5psi in our standard kits. With the Ultimate kits, you could run 0psi in them since they have an internal bumpstop. I wonder why there was such a rough ride in your instance.

DeathCougar, here's a link to a couple kits that would work for your application: http://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicl...0-pickup/1999/
What advantage do they have over the Firestones?

*Edit 1* The price on your website is over $150 MORE than I can find Firestone bags for (firestones are $308 on Amazon)

*Edit 2* That exact airlift kit is $271.86 on Amazon. Why are you guys selling your kit for almost $200 more?

And I also learned all 94-02 Airbags that ALL companies make require drilling. So that sucks
Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I put the firestones on last summer and they work as described. the Airlifts are top shelf too. I bought the F-stones from a buddy that has a shop.

If they are outboard of the frame mounted you are going to need to drill the four holes required to mount the brackets. Unfortunately, to get the drill in you need to over trim the plastic fender well liners, leaving a much larger opening than necessary for the actual bags. I used my sheet metal shears to cut out the plastic, they are easy to use for a clean cut.

As for ride quality, when the bags are aired down to around 10 psi, its the same as the stock springs alone. When I am hauling the big trailer with a full load I run the bags at 80 psi. This levels up the rear end and gives a ride that is nice and smooth, and aids in control.

Definitely worth it if you actually use the truck for what it is designed for.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Firestone's on my '08 and love them. It used to feel like my kidneys would bounce out my backside while on rough roads, but with 5 to 10 pounds in the bags it still feels like a totally different truck.

-Kris
Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 PM

*Edit 1* The price on your website is over $150 MORE than I can find Firestone bags for (firestones are $308 on Amazon)

*Edit 2* That exact airlift kit is $271.86 on Amazon. Why are you guys selling your kit for almost $200 more?

And I also learned all 94-02 Airbags that ALL companies make require drilling. So that sucks
Randy @Airlift ??
Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Starter Sponsor

Sorry for the delay. Our website is list price. On our Where to Buy page, we list local retailers as well as a ton of online retailers. You will definitely get the best price through one of our dealers. Plus, we have a rebate going on for our airbag kits and compressor kits, up to $100 off. (This rebate ends on 2/28/14.)

As far as the drilling, not all of our kits require drilling. But the ones that do, it's minimal and most kits only take a couple hours to install. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quick Reply: Firestone Airbag question & Bilstein shock question