Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Ever put those safety chains to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlackDodge
I still stand by my statement -

If for some unknown reason my trailer breaks away from my truck - the trailer can go its way and Ill go mine. But as soon as it breaks away the breaks it will get a full 12 volt jolt from the break away and lock up the tires. Wonder why they make such a thing

Go ahead and criticize me and scold me and try to humiliate me, but you do your thing and ill do mine. Yall can dream up all hypo scenarios yall want and make me a child killer - but I do it for a living yall dont.

lawnpro - sounds like operator error

PS - With all this infinite wisdom floating in here - could someone please direct me to the law in the FMCSR regarding safety chains on commercial vehicles.

Federal Motor Carrier Regulations section 393.70 subpart F
Old 02-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I still stand by my statement -

If for some unknown reason my trailer breaks away from my truck - the trailer can go its way and Ill go mine. But as soon as it breaks away the breaks it will get a full 12 volt jolt from the break away and lock up the tires. Wonder why they make such a thing
B]
Even thats not enough sometimes. Example : A trailer that wieghs 12000 lbs loaded. Its being pulled at 40 mph with no chains in place. Say it comes loose, and the break away does indeed work. Even with its tires locked the weight of that trailer will keep it going for some distance.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:59 PM

Looking at that picture of your GN and saftey chains, that eyelet that both those chains are in is going to come out before you can get your trailer stopped. It would be a better situation to have 2 separate eyelets, one for each chain, to spread the weight of that trailer around a bit. Plus the chains pulling from opposite directions would also help keep the GN centered in the middle of the truck rather than careening back and forth.

When we picked up our first GN and picked up the load in Minn. , We had a 5th wheel type gooseneck hitch put in, on rails, so we could remove it. Went through Des Moines, Ia. on I-235 and hit some construction, hit a horrendous bump, and bent the rails on that hitch (rated at 34k, only had 12k load). Darn lucky it did not break it. Had to have the hitch removed and the dealer replaced it with a turn over ball type in the bed. I won't use anything else now. Good and solid, the safety chains have their own eyelets on either side.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Even thats not enough sometimes. Example : A trailer that wieghs 12000 lbs loaded. Its being pulled at 40 mph with no chains in place. Say it comes loose, and the break away does indeed work. Even with its tires locked the weight of that trailer will keep it going for some distance.
And, it will dig up a lot of expensive highway and turf, that you have to pay for. And, if it's hauling any hazmat, you're screwed! All because you didn't have the necessary safety chains. I use heavy logging chains 1.5" links, instead of that puny Home Depot 5/16".
Old 02-26-2004, 06:28 PM

This thread makes me worry a lot more. I ve towed my fair share, and thank god never lost a trailer. I have had a few problems, that fortuanately worked out just fine.

Ive never seen a trailer get loose......but it seems that many of you have or experienced it. The scary part to me is that you guys are probably the top 5% of people towing....knowledgable , safty conscoius, etc.....you are not the average 5 ver vacationer.

I would hate to hear the stories from hiway patrol, I bet they are incredible.

I would $$$ that most don t ever test or use or set up there brake controller even.....let alone talk about weight, load distribution, tire ratings, dot regs, and safty chains.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:10 PM

1320, just monday, I saw a jeep grand cherokee leave a lumber yard with 3 pallets of quickrete on a 16 foot trailer. No chains, or lights hooked up. One pallet of quickrete weighs around 1300lbs I believe. That's 3900 lbs being pulled by a jeep, and no trailer brakes. Glad I wasn't behind or in front of him.

If the breakaway is tripped on a tandem dual trailer with any substantial amount of weight on it, it will stop very quick.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 PM

I think the guy's trailer had brakes. He didn't have lights hooked up, so I'm assumeing the brakes weren't either.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
BBD, how much did that solar charger cost? I have been thinking about one of those. Did you splice it directly into the harness, or are you using aligator clips to connect it when you aren't hooked up?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two days ago, I was at the RV shop rumaging around the trailer hitches and asseccories. I was looking for a break away kit to add to my trailer that currently does not have one. I lucked out and picked up a Tekonsha break away kit for 33% off (reduced on clearance). It has as 5 A-h gel-cell, break away switch and a battery box with mounting bracket. The install sheet that came with it recommeded using Tekonsha #2024 tow-charger to charge the battery while your trailer is hooked up to the tow vehicle. I took a look on ebay and sure enough.... there is a guy selling several of them for $9.99 Mine should be here in a couple days.

I have a couple of 12volt gel-cells of various sizes and they all hold their charge very well when just sitting. I plan to just check the battery the night before I depart and put it on the AC charger if necessary. Then the tow charger will make sure it stays topped off during my trips.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But as soon as it breaks away the breaks it will get a full 12 volt jolt from the break away and lock up the tires. Wonder why they make such a thing
That is, assuming your break away system is working properly. I wonder how many people have actually tested their break away systems??
Old 03-01-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss
That is, assuming your break away system is working properly. I wonder how many people have actually tested their break away systems??
What's a good way to test it? The only thing I have ever done was jack it up, spin tires and pill the pin. Wheels stopped immediately. This means everything's OK?

Chris

Quick Reply: Ever put those safety chains to use?