Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Duallies verses Singles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Duallies verses Singles

Nagi,
You are buying one heck of a trailer I think you are going to love it. Don't get an ulcer over it, enjoy and think of all the fun you will have with it when you figure it all out.
My only comment was now you have the opportunity to buy what ever truck you want. You might as well get one that the manufacturer states can handle it.
Now that you know a little more about the weights of the truck, I think you should call Newmar direct and ask them what your trailer is going to weigh with the options you ordered.
You might as well figure it all out now that you have the opportunity and it is not going to cost you anything.
If I remember right the F-450 &550 can have up to a 30,000 lb GCVWR depending on how you set it up. I bet if you found a new F-450 or 550 with a 7.3 you could get a deal on it now that the 6.0 is out.
FWIW Randy
Old 03-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Moss,<br><br>He may get a higher rating on that F450, but his back and rump will get a much lower rating at his doctors. They drive terrible in comparison to the new Dodge, and the ride is - - well - - it kinda rides like a truck. Yeh, I know, duhhhhh, it is a truck. :P There is no comparison in the comfort of our Dodge to an F450. There is no way I would want to drive some medium duty around to the store, site seeing, etc. <br><br>Nagi,<br>We looked at Newmar lines at first. Very good unit and well made. They were just too heavy. They have lightened them slightly in the past 1 1/2 years and made them a little more manageable. However, I would highly suggest you pursue the completed dry weight of your anticipated new fiver with all the accessories. Then, add about 1000 pounds for all the &quot;stuff&quot; you add. Then, make up your mind you will run with empty holding tanks and only a little water. If you can still hold it under 16000#, you will be fine with a dually. <br><br>Our Carriage is a 36' triple slide. I am around 15700# slightly wet. Our HO handles it fine. My truck is about 7660 pounds with the second fuel tank partially filled and the main tank filled. So, I am within my GCWR. If my holding tanks are full, water tank full and second fuel tank filled, I am overweight. <br><br>I would rather have a smaller fiver and drive the Dodge than have a larger heavier unit and have to push around a larger truck. My comfort and convenience driving is more important than another foot or two of trailer. <br><br>Bob
Old 03-25-2003, 07:47 PM

Hi Nagi,<br>Welcome to the forum and hope to see ya around. I got to jump in and say a few words about daullies. I have a 25'TT but plan on upgrading to a 32' 5ver or so in a couple of years. Most 5ver's we have looked at are around 13-14k lbs. We opted to make the change to a daully now just to make sure we have enough truck, kind of &quot;the horse before the cart&quot;. I have driven almost 5k miles with this truck pulling my TT. My old truck was a 94 Chevy SBEC 4x4 and we did a 3k mile trip with the same trailer. The daully is alot more stable and is wonderful pulling around semis at freeway speeds even with a 25' TT. Same TT, same hitch, just different truck. The difference was like night and day. The daully is very enjoyable to drive. I would agree, and also suggest a daully for the weight you are talking about. Pulling up to drive-up windows is an adjustment, but can be overcome very easily. Just my $0.02 Ken
Old 03-25-2003, 09:15 PM

FiverBob,<br> Sounds great to me. <br> What is really neat is that the Newmar is longer and weighs 900 lbs less than your rig. I guess you learn something everyday.<br> No way I would want to drive a F-450 around either, perhaps unless I was pulling a 37&quot; triple slide Newmar fiver around with a print shop on board to boot, fulltiming it.<br> Randy
Old 03-25-2003, 09:24 PM

FiverBob,<br> I forgot I was finally glad to hear what a 2003 Dually really weighed in at ready to tow. I had been figuring it at 8000lbs. I am still going to weigh mine first chance I get. Subtracting for your aux fuel tank and some diesel in it maybe mine will come in at 7500lbs or a little less.<br> Randy
Old 03-26-2003, 11:22 AM

Nagi, good job of deciding to reasearch your original decision and adjust it. The dually will do just fine like Bob said. Enjoy your fifth wheel trailer and stop worrying at this point. Much of the towing restriction in these class trucks is the weakest point - stopping power. Since Dodge increased the size of the rotors and caliper pads, we can now hit the 16K tow weights, and the carry capacity was always there with the dual wheels. If I were to go into the 40' + category, I would then opt for a used Freightliner FL106 coming off a lease. My brother has been in that leasing business for a long time, and told me that a used one coming off lease, clean, good maintenance record could be gotten for about $34k, witharound 200k miles on it. That is plenty of life left, but you don't want to make grocery store and site seeing trips with it. Sorry for the long winded; point is you have made a good choice, and now enjoy it. ;D
Old 03-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=moss2904 link=board=11;threadid=12613;start=30#120438 date=1048648547]<br>FiverBob,<br> Sounds great to me. <br> What is really neat is that the Newmar is longer and weighs 900 lbs less than your rig. I guess you learn something everyday.<br> No way I would want to drive a F-450 around either, perhaps unless I was pulling a 37&quot; triple slide Newmar fiver around with a print shop on board to boot, fulltiming it.<br> Randy<br>[/quote]<br><br>Randy,<br>You almost have it right, but not quite. : Newmar lists their dry weight without extras (as all manufacturers do). There is a whole bunch of &quot;extras&quot; on the Newmar (which add weight) that are standard on our Carriage and included in the listed &quot;dry weight&quot;. We have added three batteries, a 6500 Onan, inverters, twin 40# bottles, etc etc that have brought the weight up some. Even with all that, I am still under the 16000 unless very wet. It is tough when you get into the better built units and try to keep the weight down. Even a 34'er weighs in close to our 36. We really struggled with that when purchasing. Chev had the highest towing cap up until this year. It was for sure I had to get something other than the 2500 V10. Pulled it but . . . : : Not a good idea. Much happier camper now.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 AM

Nagi,<br><br>Here is what I posted earlier and what I see.<br><br>His truck dry weight of 6850lbs (web site). In my case I have 874lbs of fuel, hitch, passengers and stuff that would bring the Dually to (6850+ 874) 7724lbs. Add his 3000 pin weight it would bring his weight to 10,724. The GVWR of the Dually is 11,500lbs. That is of course if the weights are correct and he adds what I have. His GCW would be (7724 + 15000) or 22724lbs. GCWR = 23,000. He would be approaching his GCWR and have 776 left for the GVW<br><br>I don't see a MDT and like you, would not want to drive one around. Based on your information you are within limits for the Dually. Enjoy your new truck and RV.<br><br>
Old 03-27-2003, 11:41 AM

&quot;Use an exhaust brake for all 3500 manual transmission with Diesel applications with a trailer weight over 10,000 lbs.&quot;
My mistake there. Did not realize the auto was different than the standard.
If Newmar states it weigh's that they should know..
It is good that you have carefully calculated and &quot;weighed &quot; everything.
&quot;His GCW would be (7724 + 15000) or 22724lbs. GCWR = 23,000. He would be approaching his GCWR and have 776 left for the GVW&quot;
I guess I will go change my batteries.
Randy
Old 03-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a difference in what the truck will pull and what you liscense it for. I can only liscense for 20,00 here in Virginia but pull 26,000 (gross) on ocassion. The truck has no problems handling that weight but the liscense and DOT may have something to say about it.<br><br>Glad you went with a dually for that weight. I know you will enjoy it. These are great trucks for sure.

Quick Reply: Duallies verses Singles