Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Don't You Love Salesmen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't You Love Salesmen?

Went to look at toyhaulers today. This guy told me that my truck would have no problem hauling this thing. He told me, just pull over and let your tranny cool down when it heats up....LOL

http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/fl...hp?prod_id=105
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM

i would not worrie about the truck, as long as the tranny has had a little work.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

"Turns out that Car Salesmen are the only people that sell cars..."

-Ron White
Old 02-03-2006, 03:57 PM

If I can recall correctly, your truck is rated for about 10K. My BIL had one with an auto pulling 8K and bought a transmission after about three years. The weak link in your truck is that transmission. Especially pulling that weight. Of course, that salesman only wants to sell you a trailer. He does give two poops about your truck or your transmission.

Casey
Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 PM

Wow, you guys amaze me.....i posted a pic of a large tag trailer about a month ago and ya'll about had a fit....

This trailer weighs almost 11k dry, and would probably weigh close to 14k once i got all my toys, water, etc inside...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TEXWS6
Wow, you guys amaze me.....i posted a pic of a large tag trailer about a month ago and ya'll about had a fit....

This trailer weighs almost 11k dry, and would probably weigh close to 14k once i got all my toys, water, etc inside...
HUH?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
This thread.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=87169

I am looking at this trailer to get my toys out to the dunes. Question is, could tow this trailer safely with my truck(below)? figure about 3000lbs for cargo and 10,500 for the trailer. The trailer is 30' long and is 12'-13.5' tall.

thanks,

Kelly
Talon ZX Fifth Wheel F35Y Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.) 10575
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 2820
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.) 15950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs.) 5375

Tag trailers are a whole different kettle-o-fish from 5th wheels.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 PM

but a fifth wheel isn't gonna be any easier to stop than a tag correct?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:40 AM

I hope I never meet you on the road on a windy day,unless that trailer is properly loaded and balanced and the trailer brakes are working properly you are at risk as well as all others on the highway. A 13' tall trailer is nothing but a kite trying to go where you don't want,add the 16000# to a tag set up and things get real unpredictable. I hope you have a very good sway control unit, you will need it. I believe that you are flirting with disaster,but that is my humble opinion. I hope you have lots of experience towing because you will need every bit of it and it had better be towing over loaded tag along experience.Good Luck
Old 02-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Banned

It will handle better... That tag would have been a nightmare to pull behind you...
Old 02-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You might still be stopping a similar amount of weight (trailer brakes are your friend), but the dynamic leverage put on the truck would be entirely different.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

Alright, for those of you that have never hooked to a tag in excess of 10K.... If you do it right there should be no problems! The keyword here is right! Even with 5'vers there are problems, but that is because of improper setup or negligence. I had the displeasure of dragging an improperly loaded tag flatbed that was just under 16K through the WVa mountains a couple years ago because the general contractor on site thought his gasser could handle it . It is a white knuckle experience to say the least.

A lot of fellas think that just because their truck can move the weight they will be fine. Towing a heavy tag is probably one of the most challenging things you can do with your truck, but, again, if you do it right it is not an issue.

Tex, I'm not sure if you are SRW or DRW, but you may want to look here if you are SRW and seriously considering a tag wagon. Go to the trunnion bar weight distribution sections and also the dual cam sway control sections. With the right combination of weight distribution and sway control you can tote a tag wagon with up to 17K GTWR.

I just ordered another new tag wagon at the end of '05. It came in this week and I am going to pick it up early next week. GTWR is 14K. I don't have any reservations about taking it anywhere in the country, and I intend to, with the proper set up.

Just make sure all your equipment is rated for your intended load and you take into account for things like sway and tongue weight.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by sherman
I hope I never meet you on the road on a windy day,unless that trailer is properly loaded and balanced and the trailer brakes are working properly you are at risk as well as all others on the highway. A 13' tall trailer is nothing but a kite trying to go where you don't want,add the 16000# to a tag set up and things get real unpredictable. I hope you have a very good sway control unit, you will need it. I believe that you are flirting with disaster,but that is my humble opinion. I hope you have lots of experience towing because you will need every bit of it and it had better be towing over loaded tag along experience.Good Luck
Chill out man....not gonna get the tag....looking at the fiver now....just wondering if i should even consider a fiver so big...
Old 02-05-2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
"Turns out that Car Salesmen are the only people that sell cars..."

-Ron White
"The worst part about my whole van experience was that I had to talk to a cars salesmen to get it, nobody else sells cars..."

-Ron White
Old 02-05-2006, 05:39 AM

Chill out man....not gonna get the tag....looking at the fiver now....just wondering if i should even consider a fiver so big...
You will definitely need a dually. Pin weight is going to exceed 3000 pounds on that puppy. Not sure what model truck you have (assume 2500), what trans (assume auto) or gears (assume 3.54). Unless I missed it somewhere.

I think that it is way too much trailer for your truck. For sure, the tranmission will not hold up.

Quick Reply: Don't You Love Salesmen?