Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?

You will find that each state is different. In some of them they do not check the truck rating, technically if you are over the gross weight of the truck DOT will catch it. Non commercial plates in Alabama do not specify weight. A commercial tag is registered for the weight that the combination vehicle can weigh. Legally my truck cannot weigh over 8800 pounds (this will change) with the trailer on it but no one checks that here. There are ways to get around this limitation.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:06 AM
KC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is talk in Michigan that Motor vehical officers were going to start stopping personal trailor owners that looked to be over weight. Example 1/2 ton pulling a 30 foot fifth wheel with 2 expandos.<br><br>KC
Old 10-18-2002, 11:08 AM

That would be good, i've seen some pretty overloaded rigs! <br><br>Tony
Old 10-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Theres a 1/2 ton down the street here hooked up to a 32 ft Camper with a slide out. I've seen the guy leaving the valley with that overloaded combo and he crawls up the hill at about 20 mph and every lil dip in the road makes the front end nearly leave the road and the hitch is nearly hitting the road!<br><br>What really sucks is that when a rig like that loses control, it usually takes a few innocent folks with it.<br><br>I really get ****** about that kind of stuff.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:44 PM
KC

I see alot of it here in Michigan, 1/2 tons or SUV (1/2 or smaller). It is all they can do to keep the front end down to the ground<br><br>KC
Old 10-20-2002, 04:42 AM

Yeah, I saw a 1500 pulling a double slide 28 footer... Not a pretty site... Seen some others this year too... *** do people think when they load up?? ???

Tony
Old 10-20-2002, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be confusing from my signature, but I too am in favor of equipment that is capable of pulling the loads that are put on it, be it rv, hotshot, or any vehicle. What I disagree with is the factory covering their butt legally by putting rediculous low ratings on the trucks. If you break the truck they do not want to have to warranty it. The load ratings are not supposed to have anything to do with the reliability of the drivetrain, just the safety of it.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:35 AM

Oversize trailers - undersize trucks. Somebody needs to tell these people to get a real truck, I see it all the time here in Phoenix and frankly it scares the h*** out me to pass them.<br>They are going so slow it is dangerous and on a windy day down the mountain they need 3-4 lanes to stay with/in due to the sway problem.<br>Even the loaded down tanker trucks can pass them up the hills. The truck and or trailer dealers should be held liable for some of the accidents that occur for selling this stuff to these people. Don't mean to get on my bandwagon here but it is just plain unsafe and usually the innocent ones are the victims.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:41 AM

In Airzona and in Florida if you are hauling any type of livestock you must stop and show proof of ownership and health certificates.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:22 PM

Cattlehauler, Florida evens wants proof the trailer has been disinfected , do you see that anywhere? I know colorado also wants neg coggins.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:15 PM

C.H. The cleaning has to be vetrinarian certified. I moved a bunch of horses out of Fla about 10 years ago and had to get a vet to verify every time I left the state The owner paid for the entire works but still a pain in the ****. I guess that the Arabian Horses were worth it to them.

Quick Reply: Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?