Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Diagnosing 7-pin wiring troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosing 7-pin wiring troubles

Okay - I'm admitting here publically that I hardley ever town with 96_12V. Now is the time troubles arive - as I need to tow a tractor back from Iowa with a co-worker this weekend! It has a 7-pin electrical system - so, here's what's up so far...

After extensive cleaning, I have taken a 7-pin tester and managed only to see the Left hand turn signal light working, nothing on the Right side, or for the taillights at all. Anyone have any ideas where to start? I need to have it working by Friday. Thanks in advance....
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
#1 - check appropriate fuses and relays

#2 - start tracing wires to find out where the break is

The wiring under the bed (and sometimes under the hood) tends to get buggered over the years.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 AM

When trailer wiring connectors aren't used they tend to get corroded at terminals. With the power off, clean them with a small screw driver and shoot some WD-40 in there.

You can get a cheapo electrical tester at any auto parts store: a bulb holder with a sharp probe on one end and an alligator clip on the other. Be careful to only touch the connection of one wire at a time so you don't short anything out. Only takes a few minutes too see what's really going on back there. The sharp probe may also be used to pierce through the wire's insulation to determine if a problem is in a connector or the wiring.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the tips, I had tried a few of these, mostly cleaning with contact cleaner and literally scrubbing the contacts with a toothbrush & contact cleaner. Connected a 6-light terminal tester and had the LH turn signal only. So I took this as a sign - i don't think the diff cover has been off the truck since it was built, i was running out of time, so off to the dealer it went....

Well, I'll get the truck back tomorrow - one thing i'll say, if you're ordering a new truck and thinking of saving a few hundred $$ by fitting an aftermarket hitch & wiring - stop. The electrical bits are just not the same quality as what's on the truck, and most of mine were rusted out. Here again - "use it or loose it" applies.

It'll also have a fresh valve lash (not done in the 5.5 years i've had it), a fuel complete injection-system cleaning, new rear output shaft seal (just behind the trans-leaking), new front main seal, new timing gear cover seal, new rear diff fluid & seal, new fromt brake pads and ground rotors, and a couple other assorted items. Once I get all this paid for - I may have to start thinking aboout how much I really like this truck.

Actually, to vent a little, I've just fitted new upper & lower front ball joints, pitman arm & idler, rear brake cylinders, and new Michelin LTX tires. I'm starting to think I'm throwing good money after bad into this truck. Any thoughts from an economic standpoint?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:24 AM

From an economic standpoint, what about fixing the Killer Dowel Pin while they have the gearcase cover off? And get them to clean and Loctite all the gearcase mounting bolts?