Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Crazy Sway

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Sway

Members,
I recently upgraded my toy hauler to a 32ft WW bumper pull. I have an 06 dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9l w/ an intake and brake controller. It carries a 6 inch lift on 35" tires.

I have a 15k ib hitch w/ weight distribution bars and an old single sway bar (didn't seem effective at all). The hitch is notched to the lowest setting due to the lift.

Last week I took this pig out for the first time. It was full of all fluids and toys. Traveled from Phx to the dunes. Tire pressure maxed on the trailer and truck and everything was level. Wholly crap! I was all over the highway and scared to death at anything above 53mph or if a semi went by. I was passed all day long by other rigs exactly like mine. Any tips on straightening this thing out. I should be able to breeze at 65-70 like everyone else. Need the help STAT. Thank you
Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
JOOC - Did you try tightening up your EQ chains 1 link? (or two?) Sometimes how tight the chains are makes a huge difference in the quality of the trailers behavior. Sucks though till ya get it figured out. My most frightful towing event was exactly that - when the RV started whipping like a snake behind my faithful old Bronco. Full of kids, in laws and my bride. ****, that was a close call!

I hope that you get it ironed out soon.

Mike
Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Too much weight forward or rear of the trailer axles will cause them to sway like that as well. Also the trailer needs to sit level when hooked to the truck, if the hitch isn't low enough buy one that is.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM

The chains are extremely tight with two links hanging. I tried for three, no dice. I will say the sway bar in old and does not seems to slide well as it should. It's about $100 per bar, so I think I'll replace the one and add a second. The box says good up to 24'.

Originally Posted by Mike L
JOOC - Did you try tightening up your EQ chains 1 link? (or two?) Sometimes how tight the chains are makes a huge difference in the quality of the trailers behavior. Sucks though till ya get it figured out. My most frightful towing event was exactly that - when the RV started whipping like a snake behind my faithful old Bronco. Full of kids, in laws and my bride. ****, that was a close call!

I hope that you get it ironed out soon.

Mike
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 PM

So I have a triple axel. An LTR450 up front into the kitchen area and RZR XP 4 right behind it. All leaves a foot of room until you hit the back ramp. As far as level, we were. Actually I was very impressed how level we got it. Only a slight pitch on the truck.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Too much weight forward or rear of the trailer axles will cause them to sway like that as well. Also the trailer needs to sit level when hooked to the truck, if the hitch isn't low enough buy one that is.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6 inch lift doesn't help. How tall is it? Are you dragging a pup trailer down the highway? I've followed 3/4-tons that were pulling full 13'6" tall goosenecks, where you could see the truck sideways in the lane, before the trailer started turning, going around curves.
So I have a triple axel.
That doesn't help any on curves. Going in a straight line it does.
How much sag does the truck have at the bumper before cinching down the distributing hitch?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM

If your friction brake sway controller is old - replace it. Camping World has a inexpensive one for about $60. Mine had rust inside it from weather and one of the friction pads had come loose.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM

6 inch lift and 36 " tires (lots of sidewall sway) make a tough pull. Look at an equalizer hitch, no chains and great sway control
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Before you kill somebody, why don't you get a truck that is suitable for pulling that big a load?

Even if you can get it to behave for now, blow one tire at speed, and you will have a terrific wreck.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Before you kill somebody, why don't you get a truck that is suitable for pulling that big a load?

Even if you can get it to behave for now, blow one tire at speed, and you will have a terrific wreck.
That's the direction I was thinking.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My first thought was not enough hitch weight or maybe the truck is too high but... my kid was just here in a company truck. A 2012 Chevy one ton SRW crew cab 4X4 diesel with a 12 inch lift it is set up for towing and he says it tows a cargo trailer no problem, he's not out for a Sunday drive if you get my drift, but and here's the kicker, it has stock size E rated tires on it because it's winter time. I'm guessing your 35in tires even if they are E rated are not helping.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you set the load distribution bars?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try adding a link in the chains. If the trailer is taking too much weight off the rear axle of the truck then wind forces from oncoming trucks seems worse.

Some trailers are just too balanced. Getting more trailer weight on the hitch is step one. Try weighing the axles and the hitch on a scale. Put a jackstand under the coupler to get the correct hitch weight. If your rig has water or waste tanks behind the axles then try running empty, assuming you can fill at the destination. Most trailers will settle down when 12 to 15% is on the hitch. Try loading all the luggage in the front and store it when you arrive.

All the other stuff mentioned is important too. Stiff tires all around.

I have a 31 silver streak TT and it tows real good partly because it is a mid bath model and that puts more weight on the hitch than the rear bath. I put two big deep cycle batteries on the front frame and carry two 40lb propane cylinders. It all adds up. I use a distributing hitch but not a sway bar. I did notice less towing performance with my '06 SRW when I went from 265 to 285 E tires.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Put a jackstand under the coupler to get the correct hitch weight.
Weighing the truck alone, then the truck and trailer, should be sufficient.
After following so many travel trailers across 6 and 20 in Indiana and Ohio, I wouldn't think about towing one of those big ones without duals on the truck, the extra two tires provide a lot of lateral stability.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you drop the trailer on the ball and lock it in, crank the trailer gear up and partially lift the rear of your trucks suspension up as to lighten the suspension. Essentially take most but not all of the weight off the springs. Once you do that set you weight distribution, you should be at least 2 link up from where you are now.

Quick Reply: Crazy Sway