Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Couple of questions from new potential 2004 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions from new potential 2004 owner

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a truck with a little more muscle to pull a 31' trailer and most recommendations have pointed toward a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I located a 2004 with low miles that is pretty well loaded but other than liking the looks of these trucks, don't know much about them. I was hoping someone could help with a few questions:

First, is there anyway to find out what the gearing is in the rear diff? This is a 2004 2wd with what looks like a factory tow package: mirrors, hitch, 7-pin plug on the bumper.

Second, I'll be installing a prodigy brake controller in this. From looking at past posts, it sounds like there is a wiring harness that just lets me plug the prodigy into a plug on the truck, right? Can it be that easy?

Finally, I'm trying to figure out the range on this truck but can't find any specs on how large the fuel tank is. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks and if you have any other tips on getting this truck ready to tow I would appreciate hearing them. I've read about getting some guages, which I'll read up more on this week.

Tony
Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

Welcome tony,

#1 gearing, look on the inside of the glovebox door, the gearing will be listed, either 3:73 or 4:10, I have 3:73- that CTD provides plenty of power.

#2 yes it is that easy, just to the side of the steering column is a blue connector that the pigtail provided with the truck plugs into(if the pigtail is gone, it is available at the dealer, pretty cheap) you still have to wire the pigtail to your controller, but you dont have to splice into the truck.

#3 the tank capacity(usable) is 36 gallons, range depends on driving style, trans, towing. empty I get between 550 and 675 miles on a tank. towing about 450 to 500 miles.

the first thing that most will recommend is gauges as these trucks even stock will get the EGT's up in a hurry if towing heavy. good luck.

chris
Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 PM

33' trailer Tow truck

First welcome to DTR now the people on her will help you with all kinds of things as you will see.

1st Q: If it had trailer package it probably has 4.11 Gears as my truck has,

2cdQ: Yes it will take you longer to Mount the prodigy with two screws than to plug it in the plug is above the E brake. You have to purchase the harness the plugs into the prodigy.

Last the tank on a 8'' bid is 40 Gal I thank 39Gal on 6' bid.

I put on the QuadZilla race box for better fuel mileage if you keep your foot out of it and a better intake to let breath.http://www.quadzillapower.com/ for power also.

Miles PH (per hour)
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, look in the glove box for the axle ratio. If it's not there then look at the window sticker if the owner still has it. 3.73 is the normal axle. 4.10 was an option and it cost more. The next best option would be chock the wheels, put in neutral, jack up a rear tire, mark the inside bottom of a tire, then mark the driveshaft and rotate it either 3 and 3/4 times for one tire revolution or a little over 4 times for 1 tire revolution.

You can buy an adapter harness for the prodigy that will plug directly from the prodigy into the factory connector under the dash. This is the easiest option. The factory plug is underneath the dash right by the emergency brake.

As far as your range, I'm not sure where you'll be driving but I pull a 14' enclosed trailer around town and get 10mpg. My range is around 300 miles. I get about 13mpg towing strictly on the highway which would give me a range around 400 miles.

Sorry Miles but I gotta say it, the box on the back of our trucks are beds not bids. They are 4.10 gears and not 4.11 and have nothing to do with the towing package.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by handymantim
4.10 gears and not 4.11 and have nothing to do with the towing package.
Ditto, I've got the tow package and the 3.73's. If you are going to be towing fast (65 or better) then the 3.73's might actually be better than the 4.10's. If you plan on going slower, or being really heavy, the 4.10's would be better. Just for reference, I've had 3000 lbs of gravel in the box and can pull hills with the cruise set at 60 in 6th gear. About 17-1800 RPM.

It occurs to me, an 04 can have 1 of 3 motors. 4 if you count the Cali motor. The Standard Output @ 250 HP, the HO at 305hp and 555 tq, or the "04.5" with 325 hp and 600 tq. The 305 hp motor is generally regarded as most desirable due to no catalytic convertor and better mileage. Some people get pretty good mpg's with the 04.5s but not many seems like. You can tell which motor is in it by looking at the rectangular white sticker on the driver's side valve cover, it'll give the rated HP @ 2900 rpm.

Last edited by IA_James; 09-06-2006 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 09-07-2006, 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I almost brought it home last night but the previous bank that financed my truck that I'll be trading in forgot to release the lien when it was paid off. I'll be taking care of that today and should pick the truck up tonight. Pretty excited.

So, I'll be asking more questions I"m sure as the time goes by.

Tony
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 AM

Grate

Originally Posted by kramynot2000
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I almost brought it home last night but the previous bank that financed my truck that I'll be trading in forgot to release the lien when it was paid off. I'll be taking care of that today and should pick the truck up tonight. Pretty excited.

So, I'll be asking more questions I"m sure as the time goes by.

Tony
Grate to have with us. We all have a Diesel problem and this is the support group. What part of this grate country do you live in? Theirs bond to be a Chapter close by.
Miles PH
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 PM

From the west coast

Just noticed I didn't update my profile. I'm from Sacramento, CA.

Also, just brought home the new truck, a 2500 Quad Cab SLT with Laramie package. This truck is great! When I was test driving it I really wished there was something I could tow.

Anyway, it comes with a prodigy brake controller installed and also with some lift bags that I really don't know much about. I'll have to crawl under the truck to see what brand.