Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Coating Inside Of Cattle Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Coating Inside Of Cattle Trailer

What are some recommendations for coating the inside lower sheetmetal of a livestock trailer??

This area gets stomped on, climbed on, pawed by horses, etc.

Black paint looks good, so long as no stock is hauled.

I have considered using that rust-proofing stuff that costs about $50/gal, dries hard and black, and stops/seals rust.

Has anyone used this stuff; and, what kind of results have you had??

I also have considered taking it to a shop that Rhino-lines truck beds.

Will that stuff hold up to punishment??

Would it be cost-prohibitive??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about bedliner such as Line X or Rhino Liner?

just a thought
Old 06-08-2006, 11:16 PM

Bedliner

I am waiting for a new Titan stock trailer to arrive. I plan on coating the bottom 30 inches of the walls with Herculiner brand do-it-yourself bedliner. I priced spray-on from various local applicators (Bullhide, Rhino, etc.) and it ran from $900 to $1300. It will require 3 gallons of Herculiner and I just got it for $90.00 a gal. plus I will get $60.00 back in rebate, so the job will cost about $210.00 give or take. Titan applies an undercoating type product at the factory and I know from experience it doesn't hold up too well. I told them not to apply it on this one, as it would have to be removed to properly prep the metal anyway. I don't know if the Herculiner will be as durable as the spray-on products, but I'm willing to try it given the cost difference. I don't know what your time frame is, but I can let you know how it goes. I ordered the composite rubber plank flooring with 20 year warranty, so don't have to apply it there.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:59 PM

I read on another forum where someone put Linex in his livestock trailer and really loved the end result. What impressed him most the how easy it was to wash out (hose out) the trailer when finished. Said it really cut down the time required to do that part of the job.

I'm obviously not speaking from personal experience, just what I've read!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd think the spray-in bedliner material would work well. Probably be even better if you can pull the floor and spray all the way down to the supports for the floor since it's usually the supports that hold all the "debris" and cause things to rust out prematurely.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:21 AM

Google in "Werm Flooring" and you will see what all the new horse trailers are using for the latest in floor covering. I've got it in my trailer and it is TOUGH and cleans up nicely. It is poured and floated in place and is about 5/8" thick. For the sides they are using a high density rubber mat material that is screwed in place.

However, if it were me I would just Line-X the sides and use the WERM product on the floor. I don't think the Line-X is going to hold up on the floor to the weight of livestock and horses with shoes. I think the WERM floor and Line-X sides combination should last a long time. A lot of how long it lasts will also depend on the surface preparation. If the trialer has been used a lot I would look into gettng it power washed and maybe acid etched prior to applying any coatings. The coatings and their application are going to cost some $/time and you don't want them to delaminate because of poor surface preparation.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:37 AM

I put Herculiner on my Ford, and it was OK, and I mean OK. I am going to go all the way with the Dodge and Line X it. With Herculiner, be sure to prep the bed or whatever surface you are going to paint it on well.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM

I Line-X the trailer floor and sides then put mats on the floor to protect it. Yes it cost, but it will prolong the life of the trailer. The sides are holding us very good to the cattle kicking it.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:49 PM

The do it yourself stuff just does not stick or hold up as well, honestly it is more of a textured paint than a coating, I wouldn't waste my time and money. If you occasionaly haul a few head of cattle or horses I would think it would be ok though. If you are hauling all the time they will tear up the Rhino lining or Line X anyhow. I personally just wash my trailer out on a regular basis and keep it repaint once every two or three years.

Good Luck!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mulepackin
I am waiting for a new Titan stock trailer to arrive. I plan on coating the bottom 30 inches of the walls with Herculiner brand do-it-yourself bedliner. I priced spray-on from various local applicators (Bullhide, Rhino, etc.) and it ran from $900 to $1300. It will require 3 gallons of Herculiner and I just got it for $90.00 a gal. plus I will get $60.00 back in rebate, so the job will cost about $210.00 give or take. Titan applies an undercoating type product at the factory and I know from experience it doesn't hold up too well. I told them not to apply it on this one, as it would have to be removed to properly prep the metal anyway. I don't know if the Herculiner will be as durable as the spray-on products, but I'm willing to try it given the cost difference. I don't know what your time frame is, but I can let you know how it goes. I ordered the composite rubber plank flooring with 20 year warranty, so don't have to apply it there.
that stuff is crap. ive used it on dads truck and its all peeling off
Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM

The linux and rhino liners work pretty good in trailers. It seals out the urine and crap and protects the metal. I did my 3 horse slant with the do-it yourself stuff from Oreilly's. It's OK but I don't have to many kickers and pawers either. I also repainted the inside of mine with rustoleum heavy equipment white gloss and it is holding up better than the factory paint.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WUnderwood
what about bedliner such as Line X or Rhino Liner?

just a thought

Ive seen several trailers lined with this stuff

It works really well for the floors and stuff, however just make sure that you close the gaps between the boards and/or the angle irons so that cattle wont catch their hoof tips on it, or if u move horses around u avoid catchin a shoe when they back out.. Its happened to me.

The rhino lining works great, its just expensive, but it does hold up to cattle and horse useage very well and best of all it just washes off, just ask to have it sprayed in as thick as they possibly can..

Rick
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Registered

Dad just got a new cattle trailer to replace our old one, he got the old one new in 1982 and NEVER washed it out. It still has the same boards that came in it and not that much rust. We haul cattle almost every week. (just wanted a bigger one). and we're doing the new one the same way. If its not broke dont fix it.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
Got the old one new in 1982 and NEVER washed it out.

It still has the same boards that came in it.

I replace the floor, usually, every year and use only Oak, White Oak when I can get it.

How in the world did you keep from having a cow fall through on the road??

I have seen floors fall through, while sitting in line, waiting their turn to un-load at the stock-yards.

One thing for sure, it sure throws a wrench in the works, when this happens.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
Dad just got a new cattle trailer to replace our old one, he got the old one new in 1982 and NEVER washed it out. It still has the same boards that came in it and not that much rust. We haul cattle almost every week. (just wanted a bigger one). and we're doing the new one the same way. If its not broke dont fix it.

The ranch i haul for,

i haul three or four times a year to three rivers for them, and we replace the boards every year on those trailers. I have seen cows fall thru and believe me its no fun. Other than that i haul horses 3-4 times a week when i go rope lol, but its a two horse, i really want a gooseneck tho, oh well when the time comes ill get me one.. the trailer i haul is in my photo gallery, well my main tows lol... theres several..

Rick

Quick Reply: Coating Inside Of Cattle Trailer