Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

CDL requirements for CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDL requirements for CA?

I know this one has been beaten to death, but I'm wondering specifically about California. My mom and sister have been bugging me about needing a CDL in CA, but I don't think I need one. I have a 2500 and will be pulling a 32' (overall) gooseneck trailer. I think my overall length will be right about 46-47'. I thought it was only if over 50', and what about this being a personal trailer, not used for business at all?<br><br>-SFB aka confused in florida
Old 05-01-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:CDL requirements for CA?

The cdl go by total gross weight of the truck and trailer if it is not over 26k including cargo then you are ok they do not go by length. if you have three 7k axles or two 10k axles then you need a cdl. thats the way the dot works inall states i believe.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:07 PM

Gentlemen -<br><br>Being that I am a retired Ca. law enforcement officer WITH, a CDL, maybe I can shed some light..<br><br>First, if it is legal to operate AS IS, in your home state, without an endorsement, Ca will grant you driving privildges that you would otherwise have in your state..<br><br>Next, the only thing you need a CDL for, is the 5th wheel that pulls a boat or toybox behind the 5th wheeler..I.E. &quot;doubles&quot; endorsement..<br><br>If 53' , you would then need a cdl...max veh lenght single unit..<br><br>Generally,if just visiting, you are fine..CHP pretty good about leaving you alone as long as its safe and legal..<br><br>hope that helps..
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM

With all due respect, you are giving him the laws for an rv operation. A truck and trailer is not an rv unless he has a bathroom on the trailer. If he is over 26,000 he will need one. If he is over the added GVWR on both vehicle added together, California may enforce that also. You would have better informatio on that I am sure. Again, the authorities are lenient on rv operations allowing them passage in most states if they are legal in the home state of registration, but he is not rv, he is a truck and trailer. Also California has reportedly been stopping trucks if they go over the factory carrying weight that is not on the sticker but only in the manual. For that matter, he does not realize that unless he has a permit for overlength, he is not legal in Florida either, they have a 28' max trailer length and sell an annual permit very cheap. For this reason I removed my pu bed, to comply with several states length laws.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:12 AM

Don't know about CA, but the Federal Motor Safety Administration Enforcement is the same throughout the US, but states may have modifications.

For the federal, as I understand it, if either truck or trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 lb., but the combo is less than 26,000 you do not need a cdl, BUT you do need a medical certificate and must carry a log for trips greater than one hundred miles from home.

Interestingly, my 3500, CTD, 4x4 dually has a GVWR of 12,000 (considered commercial) and the small stock trailer I pull most often is 12, 200 (considered commercial). I have a medical certificate and a log.

Check the DOT and Motor Safety Administration's websites; they are difficult, but the answers are there if you take the time.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:17 AM
DJ

My 2 cents, its been awhile since I took the test but at that time you could tow an RV without a cdl, to tow anything else over 10,000 lbs either personal or for business you need a cdl. I don't remember seeing anything about length affecting the type llicense needed. To drive a vehicle over 26k (except an RV)you need a cdl, (class B). The CDL requirements are supposed to be uniform throught the states so chances are you could pick up a booklet at any DMV and get the right answers.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:06 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=14268;start=0#134479 date=1051927926]<br> For that matter, he does not realize that unless he has a permit for overlength, he is not legal in Florida either, they have a 28' max trailer length and sell an annual permit very cheap. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I was reading this post and this got me to thinking...........<br><br>We may be purchasing a travel trailer to haul to our property while we are building. The ones we are looking at are 30' or more, 5th wheel or pull behind model. We haven't decided whether we'll keep it or sell it after me move into the new house. Being an RV type that is 30' + or - will I need a CDL? BTW we're in Florida.<br><br><br>Thanks<br>Patti
Old 05-03-2003, 05:55 PM

[quote author=MrBilly link=board=11;threadid=14268;start=0#134572 date=1051960341]<br>Don't know about CA, but the Federal Motor Safety Administration Enforcement is the same throughout the US, but states may have modifications.<br><br>For the federal, as I understand it, if either truck or trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 lb., but the combo is less than 26,000 you do not need a cdl, BUT you do need a medical certificate and must carry a log for trips greater than one hundred miles from home.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>The FMCSA is superceeded by a state if the state regulation is stricter than the FMCSA. The federal regulation on CDL is simple, the GVW of the pulling vehicle is added to the actual weight of the trailer and any load thereon and if over 26,000 you need a CDL. Most states have modified this requirement by making it the GVW of the pulling vehicle added to the GVWR of the trailer. It was in earlier threads here, I had let my CDL drop and was ticketed in Georgia for no CDL while weighing 14,400 total weight. Private nor commercial makes no difference unless you are an RV. All states do not have their code on internet. Alabama does, Georgia does, I believe that California does. Do not be misinformed by the one response that the Calif. officers are congenial and easy to get along with, they are among the most strict and difficult to deal with. They are just doing their job, not implying that they are bad people, but they do not give an inch, so be sure you are legal before going there. I try my best to stay out of the Republic of Kalifornia.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:59 PM

In Alabama you must have a &quot;b&quot; cdl if the gvw (truck alone) is over 26000. If the gcvw (truck and trailer) is over 26000 (i.e 26001) you will need an &quot;a&quot; license. Alabama considers the trailer pulled by a tractor (truck) to be a combination vehicle, and if over 26000 you need an &quot;a&quot;. If your truck and trailer combo is less that 26000 you need nothing whether you are commercial or private. The RV (motorhome) issue has come up several times here. The way it currently is if you are a private (not for hire) individual you are not required to have a cdl. I think that is absurd for the larger pushers with air brakes, 26000+ gvw etc. These guys have no training, usually have a 6-7k gvw suv in tow and are about 99 years old in the fast lane! OOPS, sorry I get really *(^(&amp;*^off about that. If any of this is wrong, I am sorry. I took the cdl &quot;a&quot; in August 02' and passed the 4 examinations for &quot;a&quot;. If you study the free cdl preparation manual (can be picked up at your local state police hq) it is all in there, rules and regulations of weight and combo vehicles.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:31 PM
fmj

You probably have more than enough good infor from these guys, but here's a site someone gave out a while ago. It covers all states towing regs. Its helped me a few times.<br>Go to www.rvsafety.com
Old 05-05-2003, 11:43 AM

Gentlemen -<br><br>&quot;Haulin in dixie&quot; is correct. I misread it to be an RV trailer he was inquiring about, and gave info to that effect. If it is a commercial enterprise of any kind, you are subject to the same laws and rules that apply to all commercial common carriers..I.E., big rigs..He is also correct when describing the enforcement in Ca. It is very strict, with the stiffest fines and penalties in the nation. Speed and log violations average 500.00 with a mandatory appearance in court. So license accordingly.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:27 PM

[quote author=w4xtc link=board=11;threadid=14268;start=0#134831 date=1052074777]
In Alabama you must have a &quot;b&quot; cdl if the gvw (truck alone) is over 26000. If the gcvw (truck and trailer) is over 26000 (i.e 26001) you will need an &quot;a&quot; license. Alabama considers the trailer pulled by a tractor (truck) to be a combination vehicle, and if over 26000 you need an &quot;a&quot;. If your truck and trailer combo is less that 26000 you need nothing whether you are commercial or private. The RV (motorhome) issue has come up several times here. The way it currently is if you are a private (not for hire) individual you are not required to have a cdl. I think that is absurd for the larger pushers with air brakes, 26000+ gvw etc. These guys have no training, usually have a 6-7k gvw suv in tow and are about 99 years old in the fast lane! OOPS, sorry I get really *(^(&amp;*^off about that. If any of this is wrong, I am sorry. I took the cdl &quot;a&quot; in August 02' and passed the 4 examinations for &quot;a&quot;. If you study the free cdl preparation manual (can be picked up at your local state police hq) it is all in there, rules and regulations of weight and combo vehicles.
[/quote]

W4XTC please be advised that the Alabama code being an almost exact copy of Georgia and the DOT personnel are trained in Georgia, requires a CDL for the truck gross vehicle &quot;rating&quot; added to the trailer weight &quot;rating&quot; of over 26000. In my case the truck has an 8800 pound rating and the trailer has a 21000 rating requiring a CDL. This goes for both Alabama and Georrgia. For that reason I was ticketed while only weighing 14,400 total weight.

Also there is no defination between for hire or not for hire when licensing either the truck or the driver. Only the true rv is in its own class. The reason that you see not for hire signs is mostly misunderstanding but there is a difference in operating authority, if you are in business, not for hire requires &quot;private carrier&quot; authority and for hire requires &quot;common carrier&quot; authority. There would also be a large difference in insurance requirements for a private truck, not requiring the 750,000 liability that I have to carry or 1,000,000 if you carry any hazardous materials (fuel, paint, glue, etc) But when stopped, the officer does not care if it is private or commercial, if you are heavy the CDL is required unless you are an RV with a bathroom on the trailer.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:52 PM

Phew!! I think I'll avoid CA altogether as long as the trailer is attached. The trailer itself is 24' on the deck, plus the gooseneck, and is not commercial in any way. I'm not a business, nor associated with any business. I'm just moving from one end of the country to the other and trying to avoid any hassle. Thanks for all the great input guys. Makes me want to go drive a car again.....almost. :'( :'( :'(<br><br>-SFB
Old 05-05-2003, 09:41 PM

shortfieldbreak, <br><br>From the Calif Drivers' Handbook:<br><br>Visitors to California<br>&quot;If you are a visitor in California over 18 years old and have a valid driver license from your home state or country (where you live permanently), you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.&quot;<br><br>Since your rig is for transporting your personal property to WA it is non-commercial and the above paragraph applies. If however, you were being paid to transport the property of someone not related to you, you would be considered commercial.<br><br>For the information of all readers, there are ten classes of CA licenses:<br> Class A (Commercial)<br> Class A Fire Fighter<br> Class A Non-Commercial<br> Class B (Commercial)<br> Class B Fire Fighter<br> Class B Non-Commercial<br> Class C Commercial<br> Class C (Non-Commercial)<br> Class M1<br> Class M2<br><br>Check DMV Publications for further information. <br><br>California DMV Publications
Old 05-10-2003, 06:30 PM

Haulin in Dixie, I really do not understand what you said in your statement to me. I thought I made it clear that when over 26k (gcvw rating not actual weight) you need a cdl, period. I tried merely to break down the differences in the a and b licenses and when you can have a trailer and when you can't with which license. Sorry if I confused anyone. BTW, you need to get on down to the state troopers and get that cdl &quot;a&quot; class and never have to worry about which license is needed, your covered either way! Did you say you weighed 14,400 unloaded? That must be a huge trailer. My backhoe trailer (12 ton) weighs only 6500 lbs. I pull it with my International 4900 (32700 gvw) I would hate to pull any heavier trailer, it seems the hoe and trialer put a strain on my 4900 already.

Quick Reply: CDL requirements for CA?