Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

cb shop in houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb shop in houston

anyone know if there is a cb shop in houston area?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 AM

dont know what area you're in, but the only one i know of is in baytown.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM

north 1960 and 45, i hooked up a amp to my cb and when i mic.ed up it just shut everything down. no power all fuses are still good, i think i fried something on the inside.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM

Need more info!!
When you say no power do you mean no power at the amp or the radio and amp?
What kind of kicker?? Wattage??
How did you hook it up?? aux post?, battery? wiring harness etc...
What are you using to drive it?? ie.. what kind of radio and what is it doing?? ie.. DK and PEP

If we can't walk you through this I can find you a reputable shop in your area.
And not just any ol' hack shack either.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

the cb is a cobra 29 ltd tuned to 7 watts, a guy gave me this amp it is a palomar electronic corp. Tx 75 broad band 3-30 mhz solid state bi linear amp. the way i have the power ran is to both. i have a wilson 2000 whip. thanks for jumpin in to help
Old 08-23-2006, 01:59 PM

You have ran the power to both? Both what? Batteries?
And when you say the radio is tuned to 7 you must mean DK??
& watts into that amp is entirely to much. Should DK around 2 watts. Do you know what size pills it has?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:15 PM

no i have a single hot connected to the cb and the amp

CB
\
> --------------hot
/
Amp

( i know it sucks but this is all i had to work with)
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Is this the amp in question??
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 PM

yup same same switchs are different but yes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Schematic
When you say it has no power do you mean it is not modulating or not powering up at all?
Is the radio still working?
That is an old amp from the early 80's. Did it work for the guy you got it from?
If you get it going it should be a keeper but you are going to have to turn your radio down to drive it. 2watts is probably optimal but it should hold up to about 4.5
Old 08-23-2006, 06:06 PM

For what I know it did work before he gave it to me. there is no power to the cb and the amp. it was working perfect till i went to talk. then it all just shut off. are there any fuses in side the amp i can check or the cb itself, could i have caused major damage to the cb. if so i guess i will have to go to A TX RANGER or what ever is the best. all i need it for is cop reports. I like to drive fast even though its in a ferd for now!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Well for one having both wired as one is a bad idea. Are you sure you didn't burn the lead wire?
A you aver driving the amp. That thing will do upwards of 100 watts fairly clean.
It's a safe bet to figure it is going to draw upwards of 10 amps. Don't know what the radio is doing PEP but it is a safe bet that it is probably somehwere around 16-19. So add another 2 amps draw there for a total of 12 amps. I wouldn't run anything smaller than 12g to feed that draw. If your using 14 check for burnt spots.

Have you tried hooking the radio or amp up spereate from the other straight to the battery to see if the power on?? Also have you tuned the antenna? If you have a really high SWR you mau have caused pills to pop (though for n longer than you were keyed that is unlikely) You didn't fuse your feed line?? If not let that be a lesson, we may not be having this convo.

Quoted from a good source over at The Quack Shack dot you can figure the rest out {Train Wreck} - - -If on the east side, go see Ol' Rock ond Roll @ the 781 (I-10 east) next to the firecracker warehouse, just east of Richie Bros. auction yard. He has been selling Palomar for years. Works on anything. Nice ol' fart.....

Now, there is also Jerry on the north east side off Hwy 59, but I don't have his number with me. See if I can get it... Been around since dirt was invented, and knows his stuff.....

I'd stay away from Primo. Don't trust 'im....The only time I was in his shop, he was yanking AMC diodes as fast as his cordless could get them open. Took their money and told those poor drivers that he was "Taking that block of wood out from under the gas pedal", and showing them their "25's "Will put out 20+!" on some cheap meter... Please...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 PM

By the way; If you plan to be running a radio with power you may seriously consider signing up at that aft mentioned Shack. Lot's of good people and tech support. RF is a bad as Bombing you Cummins. Once you get that first taste of power your going to need $$$ and eventually advice. Just ask ViperDew
Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 AM

ya i know how that goes power is drug, i love it! so there is somewhere that i can go to get this fixed? i guess im not reading the slang rite or something. but thanks for all the help. i have 3 inline fuses on the feeder line. all the inlines are still good.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM

If your lead is good and you haven't blown any fuses I would try hooking them up one at a time to see if they will power. Unless something was hooked up backwards I can see one or the other frying but not both.
Have you tuned the SWR?? I really don't think that is the issue but still something that needs to be done. You also need to turn that radio down a bit. Let me know and I can e-mail you the instructions for adjusting your radio to feed that amp.

Quick Reply: cb shop in houston