Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Can my truck tow this tt

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you haven't already gotten one rvwholesalers usually has the best price on the Equal-i-zer hitch and the Prodigy brake controller. I highly recommend both.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought a RV and the 1k/10K equilizer is on my list before camping season..
Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
If its a triple axle remember that puts you in the "truck" category for speed limits and weigh stations...

Where in the world did you hear that?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM

I have always used an equalizer on my trailers over 20 ft but I added sway control when I bought the 35 ft. Cross winds used to move me around before the sway control especially in the mountains. I use a Reese Dual Cam but that's just me.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes
Where in the world did you hear that?
Every state i have driven thru, that I can recall, 5 axles makes you a "truck" regardless GCW.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Every state i have driven thru, that I can recall, 5 axles makes you a "truck" regardless GCW.
I've driven thru quite a few states, and have never seen a sign designating 5 axles as a truck, so you apparantly have some other source. I have also pulled a few 3 axle RVs across quite a few states and into Canada and have never seen anything that designated me as a truck. So where are you getting this info from?

As a side note, are you an AH-64 pilot?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Like I said, its on signs on interstates. The signs state weight or axles. Cant recall the weight (26K maybe??), but anything over 5 axles is a "truck". Idaho for sure, and I am 99% confident its the same in Washington, Oregon, and Montana. Its been too long since I have been thru other states, but moving cross country 2, and 3 years ago I saw it in other states as well...

Yes, I fly the AH-64A.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 AM

I guess I'll have to pay more attention the next time I'm in the great NW.

If you are in Idaho, I delivered one of your first AH-64As into Boise after taking it to the Abbottsford Air Show in 1992. I transitioned into the Apache in 1985 when the Cobra was a surrogate PNVS trainer. The rear cockpit was blacked out and a PNVS was mounted on the front. Really nose heavy and a b!tch to fly. I had just short of 1000 hours in them before I retired.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Very nice... Yep, we still have those A models... Dont recall the tail number do you?

BTW: 23 year later and the "bag" still sucks, and the PNVS isnt any better....
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM

If & when you go bigger, Fifth wheel trailers make sense. Over 10,000 lbs. you can do bumber pull, but physics favors the Fiver, since the weight is on the rear axle, where wind has less leverage. Similar in priciple to a Semi-trailer.
I believe you also need a Class V hitch, as well as the equalizers.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would be correct if your travel trailer has a "trailer liscense Plate" or "transport plate" on it. BUT if it has a "camper plate" none of the commercial laws apply, regardless of axle configuration.

Tim
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
You would be correct if your travel trailer has a "trailer liscense Plate" or "transport plate" on it. BUT if it has a "camper plate" none of the commercial laws apply, regardless of axle configuration.

Tim
Well when a sign says "5 or more axles" I am going to believe it means "5 or more axles".
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Very nice... Yep, we still have those A models... Dont recall the tail number do you?

BTW: 23 year later and the "bag" still sucks, and the PNVS isnt any better....
I never kept a civilian type log, so no tail number. I never flew in the "bag" in the 64, just the surrogate.

I really believe that Hvytrkmech is right. RVs fall under way different regs than commercial truck/trailer combos. For instance, in Oregon the speed limit for trucks is 55, but you can pull an RV at 65. Also, in Oregon, pick-ups are registered as passenger vehicles and have no weight ratings on the registration. Again, in Oregon, commercial trucks over 20,000 lbs have to go into the scales, but no RVs (privately owned) of any size are required to. I have never crossed a scale in Oregon, even when I knew the combo was over 20k. In Idaho I have to go across the scales and buy a permit ($30) for every new trailer I bring in or through. They don't care about the weight or the number of axles, they just want the money. I have never seen, in any state, a privately owned 3 axle RV trailer go across the scales. I have seen quite a few being pulled by transporters, but they would have gone across the scales with a single axle RV.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

I will have to look into the actual regs then. I know several of the RV shops around the state tell you that you fall under "truck" when they sell you a 3 axle RV...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

I will have to look into the actual regs then. I know several of the RV shops around the state tell you that you fall under "truck" when they sell you a 3 axle RV...
If you say you fall into the "truck" catagory and have to hit weigh stations, wouldn't you have to have a CDL license and keep logs and be rgistered with the dot and all the BS that goes with it?
BTW I have never heard of this before either and I have a couple of friends with 3 axle toyhaulers and have never been pulled over for blowing by the weigh stations. I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to non-commercial individual RV'rs. IMO.

Quick Reply: Can my truck tow this tt