Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Can a CTD move a house

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Can a CTD move a house

OK I bought a used mobile home 16'X80' it was in my county but on the other side about 25 miles away
I have been waiting for the transport company for 30 days to move it to my land.....they get $550.00 for this simple hook-haul-drop....called them yesterday to see when it gets moved......sorry sir we are very busy maybe next week
So this morning I when to the mobile home and looked it over.....yes I think my dodge can move this ??.....got on my cell phone and called the ol lady bring your pickup and my wide load banners and meet me at the mobile home
One hour later I'm hooked up (thank you Timbrens) and ready to move.....did a bootleg mobile home move to my land I have the move permit for this house but not the transport licence to move mobile homes....I wasnt worryed about the truck moving this oversize home on wheels but I was worryed about the hitch holding
50 MPH all the way home had the ol lady running in front of me on the CB to warn me about on coming cars....2 hours of work and a savings of $550.00 it was worth it
Old 08-10-2004, 08:38 PM

Wow!! I have moved them with a old 2 ton F750 truck that I pulled my dozers around with but I would have never thought a 1 ton would do it and a auto at that, My hat is off to you pappy that is way too cool. Goodluck,,,Rick
Old 08-10-2004, 08:55 PM

You should have taken a picture of it all hooked up!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Captain
You should have taken a picture of it all hooked up!

That would have been great to see!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:17 PM

Did it have brakes on the axles? What kind of hitch? 2 5/16" ?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:16 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by njoverkill
Did it have brakes on the axles? What kind of hitch? 2 5/16" ?
5 axles only had brakes on one axle....2 5/16" ball I wasn't worryed about my truck sagging because of the 9000 lb timbrens and I do have a Class 5 hitch but I have no ideal what the weight of the mobile home is.....it pulled petty ez cept on a few hills close to home but I slow down on those hills with my enclosed trailer too

I should have taken photos......but I was in a hurry because this was a bootleg move and I didn't want the law stopping me

After I got it on my land backing it into postion was a pain because of the width I couldn't see around it and my ol lady isn't good with hand signals....until I got my 2 way radios then she was able to talk me into postion
Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-11-2004, 06:40 AM

boot leg house moving -- you might be a redneck if

sounds like something that I would consider - good job.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got Nads, thats a big load, but I woulda done the same to save $500. In my neck of the woods there are lots of OLD M/Hs. I seen a guy in a early Ramcharger towing a single wide, man the guy darn near had to stand up while driving to see over the hood. Talk about draggin AZZZZZZZ.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:25 PM

Wow, now that's impressive...should have gotten a pic or two. Always wondered if that was possible....now we know
Big dawg
Old 08-11-2004, 01:22 PM

I always wondered if that was possible... you just proved that it is. Maybe you could open up a side business repossessing mobile homes! Just make sure nobody is inside when you hitch up and pour the coals to her...

Really would have made a great photo to send over to the Ford & Chevy sites.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Chapter President

Now I know it can be done too

This mobile home I moved will be a rental thats why I was impatient waiting for the movers to get this on my land

I will be buying 2 more homes as rentals too.....I've been dealing with a guy that has 2 older 14X70 ft single wides so now that I know it's not going to cost me $500.00 each to move them I'll buy them next week.....it will take awhile to prep the land for a site before I move them.....but I'll try to get some photo's next time I do a Redneck Bootleg move

I have seen the Peanut farmers move mobile homes around their land for the migrant farm workers but they use big John Deere tractors to move these bunk house mobile homes close to the fields for the workers
Old 08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bet if you had caused an Wreck they would have put you under the jail!!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:55 PM

Re: Can a CTD move a house

Originally posted by pappyman
OK I bought a used mobile home 16'X80' it was in my county but on the other side about 25 miles away
I have been waiting for the transport company for 30 days to move it to my land.....they get $550.00 for this simple hook-haul-drop....called them yesterday to see when it gets moved......sorry sir we are very busy maybe next week
So this morning I when to the mobile home and looked it over.....yes I think my dodge can move this ??.....got on my cell phone and called the ol lady bring your pickup and my wide load banners and meet me at the mobile home
One hour later I'm hooked up (thank you Timbrens) and ready to move.....did a bootleg mobile home move to my land I have the move permit for this house but not the transport licence to move mobile homes....I wasnt worryed about the truck moving this oversize home on wheels but I was worryed about the hitch holding
50 MPH all the way home had the ol lady running in front of me on the CB to warn me about on coming cars....2 hours of work and a savings of $550.00 it was worth it
DID YA GET A PHOTO?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:57 PM

Okay Pappyman, we all understand you were in a hurry the first time, now your going to get two more....you gotta get some pics....come on were all drooling on our PC's.
Big dawg

Quick Reply: Can a CTD move a house