Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
We use Scott single ply toilet paper in the RV and have for 30 years with never the first problem. It is sure a whale of a lot cheaper than the so-called RV toilet paper. Put a sheet of the RV stuff in a glass of water and stir. Do the same with Scott. Both will disintegrate in seconds and that is what you want.

Most back ups are from "strong" toilet paper or people using the coach with the dump valves open. The result is the infamous "big brown mountain." Don't skimp on water.

Bob
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a truck camper so the geometry of things is different. My grey water tank is much higher than the black tank. The shower dumps into the black water, but we don't use the shower. I only dump when the tanks have enough water to flush them out. I use the blue juice.
Lots of rinse water is good, but lots of water plus agitiation (driving with filled tanks) is the key to cleaning. I usually dump on the way to camping either at the 2 dump stations at home or in the campgrounds on arrival. I drop the black tank first. I lift the hose and flush the black tank witht he grey tank.

The last camp was pretty short so I haven't dumped. Winter is coming so I will have to fill at home and drive around for a week before dumping and putting into storage.

My method will not work for most people. We are very frugal on water usage.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I should enlarge upon "reverting to the woods".
We stay in one place for about 5 weeks, and don't want to have to pull out to haul the rig down the mountain to dump tanks. So to extend the stay, the "Men go outside". We are in a primitive site, don't want to foul our own nest, and want to stay on the hunt as long as possible. There is no electricity, no water and no hookups of any sort. It is primiTIVE.
Some years we drain to portable tanks, and drop the black or grey water at the nearest Forest Service campground's pit toilet, but frankly, I am more interested in hunting than doing camp chores.
So I put a minimum of water down the tank, and can go a full month. since Archery Elk season is in August and early September, it is still warm enough to shower outside.
The idea is, "How does one stretch the time before having to move the rig to dump?"or is that too far off topic (How do you drain your tanks?)?
Using ones thinking device, one can be very frugal in how much water goes down the tubes. It's an excersise in learning every time we go out.

This year, by the way, we went out for only 4 days (had to schedule a surgery in the family, so short season). So naturally I ran the furnace, took long hot showers, used the hopper inside, and poured the hot dishwater right down the drain. The tanks (both) were nearly full when we dropped off the hill. 4 Days!