Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Bigger trucks for bigger trailers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger trucks for bigger trailers

Anyone consider using a Medium Duty Truck to lease on to RV Hauler companies? One made to go the extra miles?? Cost more to run as far as fuel goes. But less in repairs. Anyone with thoughts please chim in.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM

I've seen a few with Bennett and Horizon. Do you have a CDL to go over 26,000 combined weight ratings? Is it a flatbed capable of a small TT with a hitch in the rear to tow one? Sleeper? Whatcha got?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:23 PM

The truck is a Freightliner M2. It has a 16k lbs reciever hitch on the back and a 30k lb gooseneck. The 5th wheel hitch is 20k lb air ride. Crew cab with fold down seat/bed in the rear. I do have a class "A" CDL. I used to own a trucking firm in So. Calif. LTL stuff in the state. What would be a good source for info and rules regarding IFTA and apportioned plates. The truck GVWR on the door is 19,500 lbs. No GCVWR given by Freightliner.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by R & A Equipment
I used to own a trucking firm in So. Calif. LTL stuff in the state. What would be a good source for info and rules regarding IFTA and apportioned plates.

Same rules would apply. You would be an O/O, even if leased to a transport company.
This site may be helpful? I don't go over 26k so I have very limited knowledge about the whole thing.

http://www.phlextax.com/
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R & A Equipment
The truck is a Freightliner M2. It has a 16k lbs reciever hitch on the back and a 30k lb gooseneck. The 5th wheel hitch is 20k lb air ride. Crew cab with fold down seat/bed in the rear. I do have a class "A" CDL. I used to own a trucking firm in So. Calif. LTL stuff in the state. What would be a good source for info and rules regarding IFTA and apportioned plates. The truck GVWR on the door is 19,500 lbs. No GCVWR given by Freightliner.
I was told by a sales person at the Tampa RV Super Show, the GCVWR for the M2 was 34,000lbs. They had 7 M2's there all with Mercedes Diesels. The
Sales guy at the Peterbilt exhibit said the M2 was having overheating issues with the size of the radiator. They sure sounded good when running. They sold more than one. It was a good looking rig. Expensive! 114K +

Dave
Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM

The way you've described it, you would be pulling single units with it. Even though it would pull awesome, I would think your fuel mileage would kill you money wise, unless you were able to pull big and oversize. If you had a flatbed and could haul one and tow one you would in great demand as far as travel trailers.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:16 PM

The overheating problems comes from putting the radiator from the auto-shift (automatic manual shift) transmission on a truck with the allison auto trans. One needs to put the 1000 sq inch radiator on the truck when ordered and that solves the problem. Fuel mileage should be 10-12 loaded and 14-15 unloaded depending on how far the right foot pushes down on the pedal. I do have access to a 25' overall gooseneck and receiver hitch on back. I may look into a tow-haul deal???
Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Yeah I have for my auto transport business. It just seems that you wear these 1 tons out so fast working them the way we do! Plus when it comes to parts and service the med duty fords and chevys can be serviced by the big truck shops and most of them are open till midnight and have the jumpers to talk to the computer.

Plus air ride seats to save our backs a little. Plus a front end that lifts so you can sit on the tire and work on the motor if need be. Those are some of the reasons I like the med duty!

The Pete's and KWs are nice but you pay so much for the name! In the end you get the same with a big ford of chevy in the 5500 to 6500 section. For less money as well.