Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Big load

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big load

I am about to set off on a 350 round trip and i will be pulling around 10,000 lbs of hay with my recently bought 2001 ctd single cab 6 speed. what should i look expect. I am a little nervous since it will be my first big load with this truck. what should i look out for?? and how would yall expect it to do?? thanks for all the help
Old 05-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

10,000lbs? i hook that much behind my dually and i dont even know im pulling something.
ive never went 350 miles in a straight line, but by the time that ive hauled this much hay:

for 8 hours a day for several days, it adds up to quite a few miles.

just make sure to have it strapped down good and make sure is level when you pull out. and just take off. Dont worry about it because 10,000 pounds is nothing for these trucks.

(p.s. that load weights around 1,000 lbs per bale at 20 bales per load plus heavy duty 27 foot trailer, and i pulled it with ease)
Old 05-14-2006, 10:54 PM

What would you say your averge speed was??
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
10,000 pounds behind a Cummins is like three sacks of groceries and a fat woman in a 68 Cadillac.

Unless you look back, you won't even know it is back there.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Registered

as fast as you want to go, just leave more stopping room between you and the next guy, and plan you stops ahead of time (dont run up on a stoplight) it will save on your brakes.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by TxnBorn88
I am about to set off on a 350 round trip and i will be pulling around 10,000 lbs of hay with my recently bought 2001 ctd single cab 6 speed. what should i look expect. I am a little nervous since it will be my first big load with this truck. what should i look out for?? and how would yall expect it to do?? thanks for all the help
I tow a 12000# 5th wheel with my 01 and have absolutely no problems with it. Been doing it for 92000 miles. I normally set the cruise control at 68 but on occaison will take it up to 75 without problems.

As was mentiioned, the problem isn't the GO it is the WHOA. Very sound advice to plan your stops when you can. When idiots pull in front of you and cut your stopping distance, just slow up a little and drop back into proper position.

You won't have any problems at all! You'll actually get to experience what the Cummins is all about!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

id like to see a pic of your truck. i wanted a 12 foot flatbed when i bought mine.

anyways let us know how the trip went. and when you buy a bigger trailer so you can put a real load behind your truck
Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Unless you look back, you won't even know it is back there.[/COLOR]
Don't you guys mislead him, because he will know it is back there, then will think something is wrong with his truck. The Cummins is very capable of pulling the load, I do that and more all the time, but even a 3000 lb trailer is going to cause the engine to work some.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by GAmes
Don't you guys mislead him, because he will know it is back there, then will think something is wrong with his truck. The Cummins is very capable of pulling the load, I do that and more all the time, but even a 3000 lb trailer is going to cause the engine to work some.
If you tow heavy regularly, you really dont notice 3000 pounds compared to the way the truck runs without a load.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Registered

3000 it not going to make the engine work as much as youll feel it in the suspension. yeah your acceleration might be a hair slower, but everything else is the same. when you go over a bump, thats when you feel a load
Old 05-16-2006, 08:03 AM

you have a 12v he has an HO 24v

my trailer is about 8k loaded and my 12v will pull it really well, but up a decent incline it will slow down. My 24v will maintain what ever speed I want...even when it was pretty much stock and even today I only set my box on 1x1 when towing
Old 05-16-2006, 09:30 AM

I pulled the dyno with my 98 24v for a lot of miles at 22k+ gross. I agree, while it will handle the load, I sure knew it was there.

I also agree with the "Whoa" part. Nice slow steady stops and let the truck to the work. And ya just gotta hate it when someone takes your gap, especially when trying to stop. Just be careful, and take your time and you will have a blast. You'll also have a cool story to tell us when you return.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:01 PM

I just made a 800 mile round trip to Boise ID last weekend with a 8200# travel trailer, 100 gal of fuel,generators and misc gear in the bed. Ran most the drive between 70-80 mph. Truck had no edge boxes on it (because my juice crapped out the morning we left) so I ran it with the stock power. MPG was down to 13, but didn't feel to bad about it. Truck handled the load fine, really didn't feel the trailer to much had a couple of the pulls that slowed me down to 65 mph but was very happy with the stock power. I ran the air bags at 35psi just to level out the truck.
As they say weakest link is the tires, so keep correct psi in tires and all should be good. OH Ya check that hay and make sure you don't get any hot bales. Hot hay + 70 mph wind = big flames

Good luck,
Tyler
Old 05-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Nav

txnborn88,

Something else you'll want to do...after pulling the trailer hard for any period of time, DO NOT pull into a rest stop and turn off the engine. Let her sit and idle for about 5 minutes first. This gives the turbo a chance to "cool down". The last thing you want to do is to shut the engine down and have the turbo boil the oil trapped in it.

Nav
Old 05-16-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Deezul
you have a 12v he has an HO 24v

my trailer is about 8k loaded and my 12v will pull it really well, but up a decent incline it will slow down. My 24v will maintain what ever speed I want...even when it was pretty much stock and even today I only set my box on 1x1 when towing
you just need to build the 12v more, both engines are very capable pullers, and 3,000 pounds won't hardly be felt behind either one.

Quick Reply: Big load