Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Bi-Plyous (or Bious Ply) Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the assessment of both of those tires. I would run them too if someone else would buy them for me.
I priced them both out for our big aluminum stocker and they are super expensive!
Dry Creek
Old 01-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, I ran the Michelin XPS Ribs on my previous 5th wheel, and the Goodyear G614 RSTs came as the OEM tire on my current 5th wheel. I've never had any problems with either of them.

Rusty
Old 01-14-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, since funds are pretty tight right now, I was only looking for a good used tire. I pull a 25' flatbed dual tandom that goes from one ranch to the next. Load weights range from 5k to 13k and that is on every kind of terrain here in the hill country (on road, off road, and every thorny plant you can think of). The trailer rides rough as helk anyway, no matter what the load. I'm not looking to have it ride smooth anyway, just looking to get to the next job safely and without any problems. The current tires are not close enough to cause any kind of threat. The tires are pretty old, and it is time to replace them. It seems like the bias ply are the route I should take. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:37 PM

I must be lucky. I run bias tires on my 25 foot tandem dual trailer and on my 28 foot 3 axle stock trailer. I've had one blowout about 5 years ago. I'm pulling one or the other around central Texas at least once a week. I use the cheapest off-brand E rated 7.50-16 bias plys I can find and have had one blowout in 7 years. The key to any tire is maintaining proper pressure and not overloading them.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:02 PM

I hauled logs (Class 8,and farther off road than most cow haulers) and used radial tires,just aired them down some,bias and radials are both good.
I like rubber that holds air
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 PM

So, here is my question. I have 4 bias ply 7.00x15 trailer tires on my 20' car hauler, thats only going to haul a jeep. The tires hold air fine, but do have some dry rot on the side walls. Its not really noticeable, unless you are right up on the tire, and the cracks are very small. Is this something to be concerned about when hauling a 4,000 lb vehicle? They are 10 ply bias tires, and the cracks are small, but if need be, I will replace the trailer tires before hauling with the trailer.

Scott
Old 01-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseljunkie
So, here is my question. I have 4 bias ply 7.00x15 trailer tires on my 20' car hauler, thats only going to haul a jeep. The tires hold air fine, but do have some dry rot on the side walls. Its not really noticeable, unless you are right up on the tire, and the cracks are very small. Is this something to be concerned about when hauling a 4,000 lb vehicle? They are 10 ply bias tires, and the cracks are small, but if need be, I will replace the trailer tires before hauling with the trailer.

Scott

That would all depend on how far you will be going.

Bias tires can look so rotten that you would be scared to get close to them and still carry a load a long ways, biggest enemy being speed, underinflation, and the resulting heat.

If you are going only twenty miles, or so, have proper inflation, a couple good spares, and drive like you got some sense, then you should be all right.

If you intend to drive like a maniac, then buy some new tires.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Its very small cracking, and the plan is to drive the freeway, at 55-60 for about 200 miles round trip. I guess I will have to check them out closer, and ask my dad (auto repair business owner since I was born) what he thinks.
Scott
Old 01-24-2007, 12:27 AM

Great information here! I have been running ST Radial for years and never had a blowout... Infact my current set of Goodyear Marathons have 60K miles on them! I am going to look into LT model but I just can't be more happy with the set I have now. Granted they are 14" on a 5000 lb tandem cargo trailer that I run level and balanced... I keep the correct pressure in them and check them every time I get fuel... But 60K mile!!! You just can't beat that!

Oilguy
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 AM

I run bias tires on my trailer, but I think the problem has more to do with running vehicle tires on a trailer than with whether or not they are bias or radial. Trailers are a completely different application than a vehicle. Any tandem axle trailer is going to put way more side loads on a tire than a vehicle ever will. Every time you turn, at least one of the axles has to have its tires sliding sideways. Putting vehicle tires in such an application is just asking for problems. If you are looking for tires for a trailer that is going to carry any load, get trailer tires for it. I don't care if they are radials or bias, but just get the proper tire. You wouldn't put tires intended for a 1/2 ton truck on your 3/4 diesel, why would you put vehicle tires on a trailer?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ST versus LT Tires for Trailers

Lest this turn into another ST versus LT debate, I submit the following relative to a trailer-specific tire. The Goodyear G614 RST is an all-steel construction, G-rated trailer specific tire available in only one size - LT235/85R-16. Here's the web page confirming this.

Another excellent tire that's recommended by the manufacturer for trailer service is the all-steel construction, E-rated Michelin XPS Rib. This tire is also available as an LT235/85R-16.

So, not all trailer tires carry the ST designation.

Rusty
Old 01-24-2007, 09:35 AM

To clarify, I'm not saying that a tire has to have "trailer" printed on it. If a vendor recommends a tire for trailer application, then that's fine. I just wouldn't assume any vehicle tire is automatically going to be fine in trailer service.

Another thought is about running used tires on a trailer. I know that not everyone is made of money, myself included, but a blowout can be more expensive by the time you add up down time and the effort of repairing a trailer on the side of the road. I suppose if your trailer is lightly loaded and your livelihood doesn't depend upon your trailer, then that's one thing. I don't like standing on the side of the road, and there's not much money to be made there.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We switched to BFG A/T KOs on the service trucks years ago, because they don't overheat and fail on the highway, or get punctured on the ranch by mesquite thorns and 16-penny nails... sidewalls are puncture proof, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, we put the used tires from the trucks on the other trailers, and they run fine for the rest of their lives. We've only lost two - both were last summer, sitting in the parking lot in the direct sun all afternoon at max pressure... BOOM! (Texas heat is wicked! )
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
J&L

Originally Posted by TXTad
[snip] Another thought is about running used tires on a trailer. I know that not everyone is made of money, myself included, but a blowout can be more expensive by the time you add up down time and the effort of repairing a trailer on the side of the road. I suppose if your trailer is lightly loaded and your livelihood doesn't depend upon your trailer, then that's one thing. I don't like standing on the side of the road, and there's not much money to be made there.
down time on the side of the road ?? I've had lots of experience with that because of ST trailer tires when I pulled to make my living. Switching to LT tires eliminated 80 percent of my tire problems. See my reply in post #12.
JIM
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run only radials on my hot shot trailersbecause that seems to work real wel for me and i take that trailer places where it shouldnt go and carry somethings that should be on it. if you will run the 235's i think you will have better luck on finding used tires the 245 might rub together if one is low or their is to much weight

Quick Reply: Bi-Plyous (or Bious Ply) Tires?