Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

auxiliary fuel tank ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auxiliary fuel tank ?

thinking of purchasing a 51 gal toolbox/fuel tank combo from northerntool.Is it legal for it to be gravity feed in the state of florida.I have talked to one dealer here in jax fl. they wanted over 1300 bucks for there 51 gal combo and they said it could not be gravity feed.northerntool's setup is only 600 bucks or so.just wondering about the big difference i price?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Funny that is where the RDS tank is manufactured. That is the brand of tank that Northern sells.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 AM

theres a manufactor right here near jax fl? If so didnt have a clue
Old 12-28-2007, 01:14 AM

Believe no problems on gravity feed on tank. Don't get caught running the red stuff. If you run red in bayou state decline the dip check and pay less of fine. Dip check fines are bad. Got that info off dot truck driver. Don't know much 'bout the fines in the "tree hugger" area of your state. Worked in Tampa for while. Locals said was considerable fine.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDS is in FL, but its actually cheaper to buy from Northern. Checked it out already. Now gravity feed some say legal some say no. I have had some DOT officers do the same. The solution or way to not get hassled is install a valve on the tank, and according to the dot as long as the valve is closed while traveling your ok.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 AM

I have the RDS on my 07 and it has worked perfect for 70K miles. Cheap and Simple
Old 12-28-2007, 07:15 AM

As for the D.O.T. issues all semis gravity from one side tank to the other to keep them equal, they have a crossover line on the bottom of the tanks to equalize them, the rule is " A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector" if you want to read the DOT rules..
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1898
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by justcampin
As for the D.O.T. issues all semis gravity from one side tank to the other to keep them equal, they have a crossover line on the bottom of the tanks to equalize them, the rule is " A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector" if you want to read the DOT rules..
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1898
Its funny how that is what they printed, but some dot officers feel differently. Heck I have failed 2 fed dot inspection (for the sticker, not roadside) and even had that printed and showed them that. This time I did a pump to avoid the bs and also to pre filter my fuel.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM

I have the RDS tank with a manual control valve on it to stop and start the flow. Looking to install an electric cab controlled valve this spring.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Friend in CA picked up a used 60 gal RDS tank. He is using an inexpensive electric pump to transfer it. Asked him if he was going to get an auto valve but he says he prefers to take a break and stretch his legs for a few minutes while transferring.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 PM

gravity feed on a semi is different, one tank can not overfill the other since they are at the same level.

it's an issue due to epa and spillage if on tank overflows the other
Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
gravity feed on a semi is different, one tank can not overfill the other since they are at the same level.

it's an issue due to epa and spillage if on tank overflows the other
I was thinking what a bunch of crap, but I see now the over fill issue could be a problem. Although you can hit the pump switch and over fill too. Laws make no provision for common sense or that the person doing something can actually think.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi Webb,

I have the 51 gallon RDS for about 20,000 miles almost two years with no problems. I bought it through shop.com. If I had bought through Northern tool ,I would of had to pay shipping and state tax. Since I bought it from shop.com, I only had to pay shipping. The local Northern would not order the RDS for me. They said go online and I did. It came through Nothern tool somewhow.

I plumbed the RDS myself. I came out the bottom of the RDS with a 3/8 Brass elbow then a nipple to a 3/8 ball valve, then a 3/8 to 1/2 galvanize street elbow ( cut hole in bed ) and went through bed with 1/2 gav.

Your 3/4 inch overflow vent hose that runs next to the filler is 3/4 inch ID. I Spliced that line with a 3/4 inch Tee. Now we are in luck because a 3/4 hose fits perfect over the 1/2 gav that came through the bed. Used screww clamps.

good luck
Old 12-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Galvanized steel and diesel do not mix!!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM

I started some 7 years ago on a 96 PS with a bed tank and a pump. I always forgot to turn the pump off. Went to a gravity flow, had no problems. Left it open all the time but had a shut off. Got a 2000 PS and used gravity flow from the start. No problems but still had a shut off. Pulled all over the Northwest and up through Canada to Alaska. No problems. Now have 06 Dodge and still use gravity flow. I understand gravity flow is not legal in California but do no know.. Still have a shut off on each tank. Now have to float a loan if I have to fill both tanks........

Quick Reply: auxiliary fuel tank ?