Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Another 'Legal weight' Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jggarrettllc
so if i put my #16000 dump truck on a gooseneck and pull with my pickup i;ll be illegal. Is it better to drive the truck with expired tags or pull it. The trip is four hours south on US 23 from columbus ohio to pikeville ky thanks

Yes you could be legal if you meet all the requirements!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 AM

i have my a cdl and medical card....what else do i need
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jggarrettllc
i have my a cdl and medical card....what else do i need

Proper reg. and ins.!!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by truk
i haul a race trailer with my 2500 will say 10000 lbs its less but its a round number i go to pa and race go past scales i have wondered if i need to stop ? how do you know ? whats legel whats not . dont want to go ask them / dont want to wake a snake you know? i guess just keep driving till i get pulled over?
Since your GCVW is under 26,000 lbs. you may not be required to cross scales . Watch for signs showing lower weight requirements . Racing has always been a controversial issue . Some say pulling a race car makes your truck a commercial vehicle since you race for money . If they stick that to you you need a DOT medical card and if you go over 100 miles you need a log book showing ALL compensated hours you worked during the week . That can get crazy if they cnsider all the time at the track on duty . As for sticking to the back roads , DOT watches roads used to bypass scales . Using them just adds to the fine .
Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Banned

hey everyone new here so ill start off with hi, i just bought a 96 12v 3500 drw believe 8ft bed, my dad just bought a 5th that weighs in at 11k believe fully loaded and we have a boat that weighs close to 6k loaded, im looking at buyin a sig series 18K slider hitch and i have searched and googled and can not find a answer so please help. what can i pull max weight, 5th wheel wise? and also my dad has an 06 mega 2500 what is his max with the same 18k hitch? were looking to pull the 5th and boat at the same time when we cant take both trucks, also what type if any, probs would we start havin pullin this weight?
thanks again for any help i know its prob bein asked over and over
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by avengermike
hey everyone new here so ill start off with hi, i just bought a 96 12v 3500 drw believe 8ft bed, my dad just bought a 5th that weighs in at 11k believe fully loaded and we have a boat that weighs close to 6k loaded, im looking at buyin a sig series 18K slider hitch and i have searched and googled and can not find a answer so please help. what can i pull max weight, 5th wheel wise? and also my dad has an 06 mega 2500 what is his max with the same 18k hitch? were looking to pull the 5th and boat at the same time when we cant take both trucks, also what type if any, probs would we start havin pullin this weight?
You'll need both trucks!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by avengermike
The real answer would be at your local DOT.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a fifth wheel that weighs 11k you most likely would end up over lenght with the boat added on even if you could manage the weight of both pieces. Here in Michigan the rule is 65 feet overall. Front bumper of the truck to the prop on the boat. The first trailer also must be a 5th wheel not a goose neck (ball) hitch
Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 PM

I'm plated for 45,000 pounds GCVW. According to the research I did before starting, With apportioned plates, I can go 34,000 on the trailer axles, 20,000 on the single drive axle, and 12-18,000 on the steer axle, depending on what state I'm in. I crossed a scale the other day grossing 30,000 and got the green light. They held me on the scale long enough to look at my numbers, and IFTA decal, then the green light came on, and away I went.
Under Apportioned plates, Door stickers don't mean anything. You could put an apportioned plate on a Yugo, and load the rear axle to 20,000 and the front to 12-18,000 as long as the tires have the proper rating.
You are required to have a class A CDL if your combo weighs over 26,000 period.
DOT has been hammering "Hot Shots" recently, due to plate/permit/driver's liscence issues. I've seen a couple get 10,000 dollar fines.
Guys with diesel pickups have been buying goosenecks and going out and hauling freight without USDOT authority, CDL liscences, or plates to cover the weight they're grossing.
In the short run, This is a pain in the butt for me, just because of the added scruitiny, but in the long run, it's great for my business, because every time one of the wannabes gets busted, that's one less rate cutting competitor I have to worry about.
even if the cop lets them off easy, when they find out what it costs to be legal, they bow out.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 PM

I'm licensed for 26k,I just keep under my tire rating and its fine,10k on the rear axle is legal (If it would not snap the axle like a twig 20k would be legal too),like was said earlyer,they don't care what the manufacturer says. I'd not like to get in a accident loaded like that though,they might try and say i was "overloaded" or something...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Camarogenius
Under Apportioned plates, Door stickers don't mean anything. You could put an apportioned plate on a Yugo, and load the rear axle to 20,000 and the front to 12-18,000 as long as the tires have the proper rating.
What does 'Apportioned' mean anyway? I take it you can only get these plates if you haul commercial.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Yes, these are Commercial, Interstate/International plates. Basically, they are a federal liscence plate. The state name stamped into them means nothing, other than what state the truck is based out of.
What all this means, is that every quarter, I submit a fuel and mileage report to the state, showing what states I've operated in, and how many miles I've operated, as well as how much fuel I've purchased, and in what states I made the purchases.
The state then figures what percentage of my miles were run in a particular state, and how much I've paid to each state in fuel taxes,(based on the tax paid at the point of purchase)
They then tally each state's percentage of my fuel tax, and road use tax(base plate money) and "apportion" those funds to the appropriate states through the IFTA program. (International Fuel Tax Agreement)
This eliminates the need to buy a trip permit every time I cross a state line, as long as that state (or province) is listed on my Apportioned Cab card. (registration)
Clear as mud?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Talked to a guy who was pulling a load of steel to sweetwater in his 07 3500 drw. Got pulled over for being too wide and too long. DPS asked him to follow on up to a scale. He was allowed 26k, weighed in at 34k!!! So after getting license yanked, for too wide, too long, too heavy, and a beer can in the bed, he made his way to drop the load. Turbo seized up on him, 1100 miles, but thats another story.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Camarogenius
(registration)
Clear as mud?
Actually, yes. Good explanation - thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
Talked to a guy who was pulling a load of steel to sweetwater in his 07 3500 drw. Got pulled over for being too wide and too long. DPS asked him to follow on up to a scale. He was allowed 26k, weighed in at 34k!!! So after getting license yanked, for too wide, too long, too heavy, and a beer can in the bed, he made his way to drop the load. Turbo seized up on him, 1100 miles, but thats another story.
I was with you until the "made his way to drop the load". That trailer wouldn't have gone anywhere after all those citations unless he piled 8k of the steel in the parking lot (which wouldn't happen) and made two trips, or had someone with a Class A CDL drive the truck after getting all the correct permits. Oh, and unless the beer can was full, I don't think there is any restriction on hauling scrap aluminum in the bed. It could have been a great urban legend though.

Quick Reply: Another 'Legal weight' Question