Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

ALCAN Highway anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you would like to stay stateside for a lot of the trip, head for Montana and cross at Great Falls, up through Calgary.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FarmerJim,
Thanks for the info. I would love to take the route that you are suggesting, but alas, I am from the west and I would be in big trouble if I went straight to Alaska without hitting the family outposts in Idaho and Washington. I would get hit with a frying pan in my sleep!!
Like what Haulin' was saying, I will have to stay state-side for the trip across the country. We will probably take the route up through seattle into BC and up from there. We plan on shipping one vehicle on the ferry from Bellingham (Thanks for the info FarmerJim-you weren't kidding about getting your ferry reservations early!!). Do you think I will need a ferry res. for the trip from Skagway to Juneau?? It is almost a daily fast-ferry trip that only takes a couple of hours.

Thanks for the links cga97. What job are you going up to in Kodiak?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Make your ferry reservations as soon as you have an idea of your travel dates...tell them you are on PCS orders and the reservations won't be cancelled after 30 days.

I am heading to ALPAT. We will probably drive in the US till at least Montana. The wife wants to see that part of the country. I plan to take the ALCAN so I don't have to deal with the ferry and ferry reservations. I will be able to get to Homer or Seward and then I will be forced to take the ferry to Kodiak. It only takes about 10 hours, so not too bad. Most of the trips leave late at night and arrive the next morning...my kind of traveling!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:12 AM

USCGtraveler

The trip up thru BC to Dawson Creek thru Prince George is a good route aslo. The road is better than 37. Even though the Skagway to Juneau is a daily run you need early reservations usualy in July due to the tourists. Many of them work their way down the panhandle stopping for a few days at each major location so the schedule can get pretty full. Without reservations you may have to wait a few days on standby to get a spot. This will be compounded if you are pulling a trailer.

If you are crossing the US on I70 dorp me a PM and stop by for a visit. We live about 30 miles south of I70 on the east edge of Illinois. Even have a place for RV hookup and dump station.

Best of luck with your new assignment and enjoy Alaska!!!

Farmer Jim
Old 03-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
How about satellite TV up in Alaska? Any ideas? What ISP has a decent number of lines? Do they have libraries with internet access?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:55 AM

Triplenickel - are there as many steep grades on 37 as there is on the Alaska hwy??

Nothing real long that I can remember. It's a nice drive.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:59 AM

Get the 'MILEPOST" I used it 30 years ago when I went up for summer still supposed to be THE Bible .
Was 18yrs old had souped up shortbed 4x4 brought 3 mounted spares 2or3 extra unmounted tires had to stop on Cassiar hwy on way home to buy an old rag guyed ripped me off for 30 bucks almost price of new tire at the time to get get last leg home, "Borrowed" a spare from Road dept utility trailer sitting on side of rd which I jettisoned when I hit Town At the time I think it was 300 mi from the little gas station bandit to civilazation mostly mud and ruts. Total trip was 8000 mi of the best adventure of my life !
Old 03-01-2005, 01:12 PM

As was said, Route 97 from Washington up through Bc to Dawson is a good ride, nice roads, plenty of stops most of the way. You can pick it up at Kamloops and get there either from central Washington or from the Vancoover area on the other side. Big hill near Kamloops, have your panty hose hitched up, six lane, several miles. It is a really enjoyable ride up 97 and on up the Alcan.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 PM

I'm leaving in April for re-assignment to Ellsworth AFB, SD. I have not traveled the ALCAN before, but have spoken to many who have. I have however traveled extensively in AK and enjoyed every part of it. The most abusive "road" by far I have experienced is the Denali Highway between Cantwell and Paxson.
Anyway we're very much looking forward to the trip and our last four days in AK at Arctic Man.
Planning to take our time and make many stops along the way....especially a couple nights in Revelstoke and Banff for some spring riding
I'm putting some bubble wrap over the headlights, but other than that, nothing special except for normal tools, spare tire (trailer too), tow straps, GPS, chain....etc.
Oh also, the Milepost is a very good book....we're on our third one....they do wear out I wish they made them for Canada and the lower 48 states too.

Here's a couple links....first one is for customs:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/visitors-e.html

http://www.alaska-highway.org
Old 03-06-2005, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the offer FarmerJim. We are going to push it to get to the west as quick as possible, so I don't quite know yet what our stopping points each day will be.

I think we will stick with the Alcan hwy instead of 37. It just sounds like a better road and more travelled (I still don't know if that is "better"). I think a "Milepost" is in order for sure.

Too bad Moose!!! SD won't be anything like AK!!
Yeah, I was wondering if there is good SAT TV signal up there like 5erbob was asking. Can you get a good shot at the satellite that far north??
Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 AM

USCGtraveler

well if it looks like you will need to overnight in the area of I-70 and the Illinois/Indiana border give us a call. a free parking space and dump station if you need it.

again happy traveling and enjoy Alaska.

618-569-9273
Farmer Jim
Old 03-06-2005, 08:56 AM

I have had some hits on another site about satellite in Alaska. It seems Dish is available in some locations all depending where you are sitting and what is to your south. If it is a mountain, forget it due to the low elevation required. The other thing I am getting is my 30" dish is not going to get it. They use more like 40" dishes up there due to the lower signal. Soooo, since mine is a mounted unit and I sure don't want a 40" dish rattling around in the storage, I guess we will forgo any TV other than local (????) a few months. ISP seems to be MSN or AOL (booooooo). Oh well, hopefully I will stay sooooo busy catching fish and taking pics I won't have time for this other stuff.

Bob
Old 03-13-2005, 03:07 AM

Hey Bob,
You must be going further north than I. I spoke with someone up in Juneau and they can still get a signal with the 30" dish there. There are alot of areas taht don't get the southern exposure for the satellite though. When are you heading up?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by USCGtraveler
Hey Bob,
You must be going further north than I. I spoke with someone up in Juneau and they can still get a signal with the 30" dish there. There are alot of areas taht don't get the southern exposure for the satellite though. When are you heading up?
We leave Florida about May 1st. Going up thru S. Dakota, then across to the Yellowhead. Thru Edmonton, etc. Staying all summer, heading back about September 1st down the Cassiar to P. Rupert and all points in between. Then east into Banff, Jasper, Glacier and Yellowstone all the while looking up for the funny white stuff that falls from the sky. When I see it, look out I10, I am on my way. Hope to be home sometime in early October. Still pondering how to get all that fish home. Hee hee. I may put a small chest freezer in the back of the fiver in place of one of my big recliners. I am taking a canner also. I fully plan on having some fish to bring home. Yessireeee. Too bad caribou season isn't in. Yummy.

Bob
Old 03-13-2005, 09:56 PM

You won't have to look hard....

Quick Reply: ALCAN Highway anyone??