Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Advice for Crew Cab Sleeper Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
In other sleepers you can sit up and read , watch tv , and use your computer and still be legally logging sleeper berth .
That would be quite a trick in this one. (click on the flat bed installation)

http://www.cowtownsleepers.com/

I have seen lots of sleepers on 18 wheelers that just barely meet the dimension requirements. No way you could spend 10 hours in one. Just wondering, what type of duty are those guys sleeping over the steering wheel in daycabs at rest areas logging? I personnally don't have the ***** to wake one up to ask, but perhaps one of the DOT experts on this forum knows.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GAmes

I have seen lots of sleepers on 18 wheelers that just barely meet the dimension requirements. No way you could spend 10 hours in one. Just wondering, what type of duty are those guys sleeping over the steering wheel in day cabs at rest areas logging? I personally don't have the ***** to wake one up to ask, but perhaps one of the DOT experts on this forum knows.
Especially the ones from back in the 50's. Ever seen the old conventional cab ones or penthouse Freghtliners?????? I don't think I would even attempt to climb in that penthouse job. Talk about claustrophobia. The old standard bubble nose Freightliners had a decent size sleeper though. I used to spend a little time in one occasionally.

I log on duty not driving if I log anything. Usually just continue my log as if I were still on the road since I normally snooze maybe 15 minutes or so. I never drive enough to run out of hours so I don't worry about it.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GAmes

I have seen lots of sleepers on 18 wheelers that just barely meet the dimension requirements. No way you could spend 10 hours in one. Just wondering, what type of duty are those guys sleeping over the steering wheel in daycabs at rest areas logging? I personnally don't have the ***** to wake one up to ask, but perhaps one of the DOT experts on this forum knows.
They are on duty , not driving . It looks doubtful but they could be legal if the nap was included in a 14 hour duty period that included not more than 11 hours of driving . There is no regulation against sleeping that way but it sure will result in a log book check if an officer came by .